Freezer for Opteron?

craterse

n00b
Looking for some help on cooling for an Opteron 180 S939.

What would be a good air cooling heatsink that would improve the cooling over the stock heatsink in the retail box? ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler?

I have read that they run a little hot with the stock setup. Or is that not the case?

Thanks

The Arctic should be OK if you are running your CPU on stock, or maybe a smaller overclock. But if you wanted a big overclock I would say that you should get something like a Tuniq Tower 120.

How good does the artic cool compared to the stock heatsink?

Also is the Tuniq the best bet for overclocking for that cpu?

What others would work well?

Thanks for all responses.

I think the stock Opteron heatsinks are decent, with that cooler (I have it), it would probably either be around the same or maybe even a little worse, not sure. The best coolers right are the Tuniq that was mentioned, and the absolute best is the Thermalright Ultra Extreme. Not sure if it's 939 compatable... should be though.

The Thermalright Ultra Extreme is around $50 to $60 plus, don't you have to add a fan? Or am I not finding the right place to purchase it?

The Thermalright Ultra Extreme is around $50 to $60 plus, don't you have to add a fan? Or am I not finding the right place to purchase it?

That's correct, you have to use your own fan. It's nice you get to choose. But if you're short on money, like I said, the stock heatsink isn't wimpy by any means.

OK. I may try the stock one out first since it comes with it.

Thanks for the help all.

the Regular thermalright ultra 120 supports 939, the extreme you need to purchase the retention bracket separate.

Back