Fresh install showing 40 GB used

Percy

Gawd
So i just installed Windows 7, It is showing that theres 40 GB used up..... something has to be wrong! What should i do?
YgeYc.jpg

It is likely the Windows page file; possibly the hibernation file as well. Those are both based off the amount of RAM you have installed, and if you are rocking 12, 16 or 24GB of RAM (not at all hard to do these days) then those temp files will eat up tons of disk space. Consider turning them off, or in the case of the page file at least setting it to something reasonable (or moving it to another drive).

It is likely the Windows page file; possibly the hibernation file as well. Those are both based off the amount of RAM you have installed, and if you are rocking 12, 16 or 24GB of RAM (not at all hard to do these days) then those temp files will eat up tons of disk space. Consider turning them off, or in the case of the page file at least setting it to something reasonable (or moving it to another drive).

C5GnI.jpg

You're right..... I'm not sure how to turn off hibernation file..... and changing page file to a different hard drive? i did not know that is possible....

yeah, that should be a 16gb hibernation file, and perhaps as big page file.

You can safely shrink the page file, and disable or move the hibernation file, google can tell you how to do this easily enough.

I disabled hibernation..... and it deleted the 12 gb file...now as far as the Pagefile.... what is reasonable?

Looks like I was typing while you posted some new info - sorry for the late links!

I personally would turn off the page file when you have that much RAM, but I know not everyone shares that sentiment. Joe Average on these forums has some good suggestions too - go to the "Operating System" forum category and do a search on "page file" to find additional threads about this.

Looks like I was typing while you posted some new info - sorry for the late links!

I personally would turn off the page file when you have that much RAM, but I know not everyone shares that sentiment. Joe Average on these forums has some good suggestions too - go to the "Operating System" forum category and do a search on "page file" to find additional threads about this.

shrink it to 100MB, some programs demand the presence of the page file, like Photoshop.

I have 16GB and I leave it off completely. I'm also a heavy multitasker and I encounter no problems at all. Leaving it on actually causes slow downs because I feel when things are getting swapped. When I have it off I can minimize programs in the tray and come back to them at any time and they load instantly they way that they should. I prefer to leave everything in RAM and not leave it up for windows to decide.

Also Photoshop doesn't demand a pagefile anymore like it used to since you can specify a scratch disk that the program makes it's own temp files to if it needs to.

I do use hibernate though, gotta love that :)

I have 16GB and I leave it off completely. I'm also a heavy multitasker and I encounter no problems at all. Leaving it on actually causes slow downs because I feel when things are getting swapped. When I have it off I can minimize programs in the tray and come back to them at any time and they load instantly they way that they should. I prefer to leave everything in RAM and not leave it up for windows to decide.

Also Photoshop doesn't demand a pagefile anymore like it used to since you can specify a scratch disk that the program makes it's own temp files to if it needs to.

I do use hibernate though, gotta love that :)

ah, nice! :)

Is that something new with CS5.5? If so, I'm going to upgrade to that, and use a RAMDisk :p

do a disk cleanup its from your old data saved of older version of windows\drivers,blah blah blah.........

@fightingfi It's a fresh install, so no old data, but yeah, expect your OS files to grow back to 40GB and more very quickly.
Apps like Google Earth and Bing Maps (ex Virtual Earth) will also cache half a GB each if you use them regularly.

Back