Friday the 13th...argh.

Maniacmous

Gawd
Today has been one hell of a day. I lost the system drive for my main box, which was only about 2 hours away from finishing a 541pt WU....so that's awesome...took me like 3 days to get there, and boom, all gone. So, my main system is down (typing this from my laptop), and its either the hard drive, or the motherboard is going (or both). On top of that, spent the day throwing up....always fun. Was supposed to go see a friend of mine this weekend, obviously not happening now, so she's pissed at me. Been one heck of a day, hope all your friday the 13th's went better than mine did.

/end rant

Yeah, you coulda had a guy in a hockey mask and a chainsaw chasing after you, and cutting up all your boxen :eek:

Yeah, my Friday the 13th sucked too, mostly. I had to drive to a job in Bethesda, and we got horribly lost somewhere in DC, so it took us 2 hours and 20 minutes to get there instead of 30-40 minutes. :(

But then I found out I got a raise and it all seemed better. :D

I guess I lose at the "my day was worse than yours" game. Hope you feel better soon, and good luck with the computer problems.

Mine was great! :D

I went to work and had a great day. I came home and rearranged my computer room, dusted off the boxen and did a little system maintenence. After that I spent the rest of the day surfing the [H] and watching music videos on MSN Music while sipping on a tall glass of ice tea. I finally went to sleep around 1am.

Friday the 13th rocks!

The 13th was great, the 14th however started at 2:37am when the power went off and long enough for the BackUPS all to start chirping and shutting down, didn't get the farm back up until 3:45. :rolleyes:

Then overslept and the cats are a little pissed that breakfast was late :eek:

and the coffee pot has cracked and watered the counter and floor, and no coffee. :eek:

I am going back to bed ;)

Mine was also good, except for the wicked hangover (you have to drink when upgrading- on Thurs. I put in a 300GB Maxline III SATA drive and a Juli@ in my main box). I got out of class an hour early and was able to get another box- a PIII 733.I have already put XP on it, now I just have to throw a (working) NIC in it. I might put it on UD just to check it out.

Yeah, you guys are def. right....could have been far worse...looks like I might be forced to upgrade processor/mobo/video card now...so, that might be nice, just wish it'd have dropped the 541 pointer before it crapped out on me.

My already long 12 hour shift at work turned into a 15 hour shift as I was called in an hour early (and agreed because i need any extra $ I can get) and we got an extremely busy after-bar rush probably due to the unexpected mild weather.. Its not much of a rant, but that extra 3 hours really killed me - my legs are already kinda screwed up, but man my knees and ankles feel like their going to just buckle now whenever I stand. :rolleyes: Overall, it was a weird day.. ALSO.. dont know if anyone knowticed, but it was a full moon on the 13th aswell as best as I could tell!

I managed to get sick as a dog. Couldn't get out of bed this morning until almost 12. Got all the maintence done on the fishtanks, sat done to a surf the [H] and felt too much like dog crap t oget up. AS I look at the clock it appears I fell asplee around 3:28 give or take and just woke up still at my desk.

nothing terrible happened to me but a buddy lost his job yesterday which stinks cause he needs it pretty bad.

One of my comps decided that after being transported it didn't want to boot until it was brought down to default settings. :( So now I need to turn folding off :mad: and check everything out with a day of prime95 and memtest to see if all good to oc back up. I'm hoping it was an instance of cold boot failure.

This didn't happen Friday, but it sure stemmed from it. On Friday I had to work a 15 hr shift. Got home at 10:30 went to bed and woke up at 7 to do laundry and pack up a car load of stuff and head back to college. This was all complicated by not wanting to turn the [H]ard|bowl computer off until the last moment. I wanted to lose the fewest points possible.

Then it wont turn on and a 500mhz oc is no more.

well.. if it makes anyone feel any better... I just joined the [H]orde this morning. :)

I added an Athon64 3200+, Athlon X2 3800+, Intel P4 2.0Ghz, and an Intel P4 2.4... I also have a dual Xeon test server I am gonna use at work... along with my XPS laptop.

Welcome! Another mod in our midst. :eek: Run everyone!

More computers are always good, and it looks like you brought a lot with you. So I feel better. :)

magnetik said:
well.. if it makes anyone feel any better... I just joined the [H]orde this morning. :)

I added an Athon64 3200+, Athlon X2 3800+, Intel P4 2.0Ghz, and an Intel P4 2.4... I also have a dual Xeon test server I am gonna use at work... along with my XPS laptop.

Looks a good start to a new week. Any chance you can borg another 500ghz or so? :p

magnetik said:

Haha wow, you joined this morning and you have 4 WUs done already :p

magnetik said:

You're up to 9. How with that few of points? Are they all getting timeless WU or something? If not, I highly suggest checking stability on those boxen. I'd almost be worried if I saw that kinda point/WU ratio this fast.

Maniacmous said:
You're up to 9. How with that few of points? Are they all getting timeless WU or something? If not, I highly suggest checking stability on those boxen. I'd almost be worried if I saw that kinda point/WU ratio this fast.

noob question.. what's all that mean? none of the boxes are overclocked or anything.. and I followed the instructions on the hardfolding site.. there were a couple xtra options that weren't on them but I chose the default.

Normally, about the smallest WU that Stanford keeps in stock is around 40-50 points or so, the fact that you have 300 points and 9 WU is a sign that one of your rigs might have a problem. F@H is very sensitive, and is highly susceptible to memory errors. You'd be best served by going and checking the FAHlog.txt file on all of your boxes and look for the early end unit notation, which means the box isn't completing the WU's completely and only sending partially completed units.

When you find the offender, Memtest, Prime, etc the hell out of it and you should be able to find out what is wrong. :D

p[H]ant0m said:
Normally, about the smallest WU that Stanford keeps in stock is around 40-50 points or so, the fact that you have 300 points and 9 WU is a sign that one of your rigs might have a problem. F@H is very sensitive, and is highly susceptible to memory errors. You'd be best served by going and checking the FAHlog.txt file on all of your boxes and look for the early end unit notation, which means the box isn't completing the WU's completely and only sending partially completed units.

When you find the offender, Memtest, Prime, etc the hell out of it and you should be able to find out what is wrong. :D

I don't think he has a problem with any of the boxen at all. What he's gotten is a bunch of the damn 33 point Gromacs that don't give you crap for PPD. Divide 300 by 9 and you come up with 33.

As of now, it looks like he's chewed through some bigger units and his points per WU has gone up.

My Friday went okay...except my flight from LAX was delayed 30ish minutes...then my connecting flight at O'Hare was delayed 45 minutes...but other than that, folding wise Friday was another good day.

However..the weekend following....ouch. :(

Back