Fried Motherboard??

N H O

2[H]4U
hello all....i had a question about my mobo randomly frying......yesterday afternoon i came home and attempted to turn on my pc but it wouldnt turn on. a few hours before i installed 1GB of ram and it was running flawlessly, now it wont turn on. i tested all parts including the psu, ram, and video card and tried using the ram i had in it previously and it still would not turn on. while i was doing so i noticed that the rear lan port did not hav the orange and green leds lighted up so the motherboard obviously did not hav power going to it and fried sumhow...so my question is how did it randomly fry :confused: ? specs below:

Antec Sonata w/ one rear 120mm and side 120mm intake
Antec True Power 380s
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester @ 2.6ghz
epox 9nda3+
1gb corsair xms pc3200 2-3-3-5 ( previously had corsair xms pc2700 2-2-2-5 )
ATi Radeon 8500 (sad i kno, was gonna order a leadtek 6800 before the mobo decided to fry)
40gb seagate barracuda 7200rpm
120gb wd 7200rpm
dvd rom

thanks for looking :D

I could almost guarantee you it's your PSU check that first before you do anything with the motherboard. A similar incident happened to my friend and it was the PSU which just randomly died. If that's not it then ya it's prob your mobo.

Edit: I just noticed you said you tested the PSUs how did you test them ? How did you test the cpu etc? Also if your psu(s) happen to be screwed I have 2 430w antec truepowers f/s.

czech09 said:
I could almost guarantee you it's your PSU check that first before you do anything with the motherboard. A similar incident happened to my friend and it was the PSU which just randomly died. If that's not it then ya it's prob your mobo.

Edit: I just noticed you said you tested the PSUs how did you test them ? How did you test the cpu etc? Also if your psu(s) happen to be screwed I have 2 430w antec truepowers f/s.
i plugged it up to my brother's system and it worked 100% and wen i had replugged it up to my system and plugged the pwr cable i could hear the electric currents.....and no i did not check the processor, which i could not imagine frying cuz its been running soo cool since i got it (30-40*C on daily basis)

I doubt the RAM would have caused it unless you were charged with static electricity before you put it in. To check it, take out Dimms and test each stick individually.

do you get post beeps? yank all the non necessary cards first.. take one of the memory chips out, try swapping memory slots, do you smell anything burnt? You will know if you did. You can also try unmounting the motherboard in case it's grounding out somewhere. Also try resetting the bios.

ram works fine in my bro's pc but the mobos dead....ive tried everything, clearing bios and testing parts and swapping parts and i do not get post beeps, theres juss no power going to it, weird thing is it was working a few hours before wen the new ram was in it....i dont smell nethin burning tho

Did you try taking the board out of the case and setting it up to run on cardboard to see if you have a short somewhere? Maybe when you put in the RAM, you moved the MB a little onto one of the spacers or something.

Back