Friend having trouble with Vista... Help Please

enzio

Weaksauce
My friend said that whenever he tries to boot up Vista, he gets the following error:

"BOOTMGR IS MISSING
PRESS CTRL-ALT-DELETE TO RESTART"

He said that he deleted the partition on which Vista was installed, created a new one, and then installed Vista again on that. But, again, this error pops up.

He has also tried the following: Booting the computer up with the Vista DVD, entering the diagnostic tools for Vista, and activating the boot/startup repair icon. This, again, was to no avail.

What is the workaround to this? How do you fix it?

He said that he already checked the BIOS boot order. He said that it is set on the correct drive. He also said that he tried the other devices, just to be sure.

What chipset does he have, and is he using Raid?

Reason I ask is that I could not boot using Raid, but I am running fine with my two disks individually. I have read that my issue has to do with nForce 4 drivers...

Is he trying to do a freash install of Vista with an upgrade disk?

If so he's doing it incorrectly.

He said that he deleted the partition on which Vista was installed

That is the key phrase. He deleted the partition that had the bootmgr on it. I.E. that told the system what OS to boot. If he boot the vista disc again he should be able to choose a repair option. Then he could select his OS that is messed up. Vista should recognize that the boot is messed up and repair it. I hope this helps. If you can't get that to work (which you should), then just format all drives with OS's on them and do another install, then it will boot properly.

Back