friend is new to computer games....need game advice

sparks

2[H]4U
I was thinking borderlands or borderlands 2.
Which is better for a new player?

She tried portal and didn't like it.
She is playing Dead Space and seems to be enjoying it somewhat.

what is a good game to start with?

I would have her try one of the open world sand box games, Mad Max / GTA whatever / Saints Row whatever / etc.

Twitch isn't a bad place to check out games.

Games my daughter replayed a lot: Child of Light, Starcraft 2 (specifically Heart of the Swarm), and Life is Strange.

get her a steam account and start buying the $1 humble bundles..... Www.humblebundle.com

Or maybe black desert online for $5 on Steam

Or a DOTA style game like: Hero's Of The Storm. Which is free.

familysharing and got to the manage devices. how do I add device name, last accessed and by steam user?

Think I have it, I need to log onto their computer first.

Last edited:
Open world games are a great way to get someone into gaming, they kind of let them get their footing as it were.

I'd also throw in Firewatch and other story driven "walking sims" as well as some story driven RPG "lite" like Dragon Age: Inquisition (but that would require Origin). Skyrim and Fallout 4 should also be considered.

Nothing wrong with good 'ol Half-Life 2. It doesn't really require much in the way of finesse until you're nearly at the end and the story is pretty compelling.

thanks for the tip Viking got her setup and she is downloading borderlands now.

Anyone know when steam summer sale starts?

My SO is obsessed with Skyrim. And Sims 3/4. And then Skyrim again...it's a vicious cycle.

Girl doesn't like Portal? Waaaah?
Other games to try are just hack and slashers. Diablo 3 is generally liked. As are the clones.

I'm a big fan of Civ, so I'd recommend Civ VI if she's a strategy person, or a person that wants to play more cerebral or slow paced games.
What's fun about Civ is you guys could both play it together versus some computers on a super huge map or something. Save the game when you want, pickup again at another time.

If she does FPS, try Overwatch, or good 'ol CounterStrike GO. Other options for single player with story are Deus Ex: HR and MD. Mass Effect 1,2,3 (which generally goes over well with women since they generally want to see and explore connection and relationship, as opposed to mindless killing).

Fallout 4 is highly addicting, I hadnt played the others but got sucked in to all the nuiances

Find out how she feels about Sci-fi, fantasy, Anime, etc. If she has a dislike for any of those, avoid those games. Skyrim is a good choice. Maybe a 4x like Civ or Endless Legend. Possibly let her try a ftp MMO.

I started my wife on Borderlands, we played co-op. It was her first FPS which was a bit rough but I would do most of the work. Before we hit the halfway mark she was doing great.

Dark Souls series is probably one of the best series to get someone into gaming. It comes across as hard, but its not... but also gives you a sense of accomplishment.

Dark Souls series is probably one of the best series to get someone into gaming. It comes across as hard, but its not... but also gives you a sense of accomplishment.

ONLY if you use a game pad. Mouse and keyboard is painful.

There are a lot of female fans of Mass Effect. She might like it too.

This. A lot of girls or casual gamers will be turned off by hard games, or games with a lot of stuff to do, competitive games, ect. A strong narrative with a grounded sense of purpose will likely get them hooked. I wouldn't go for a sandbox game because they might get bored not knowing what to do. When new sometimes a more linear experience is good at opening the door.

But if you're interested in play with others, I suppose BL can be fun.

Borderlands TWO
Mass Effect TWO

in both cases the playability was better IMO

Dragon Age: Origins

Heartily agree with Civilizations # of your choice. Itsa gamer right of passage.

Fallout 4 your gonna download a hella lotta mods that really affect the immersion.

If you want to turn her into a bloodthirsty twitch gamer there's Unreal Tournement, Doom, Wolfenstein, Counter Strike.

In my opinion you're on the right track. I know a lot of women who love Borderlands. Just had two of them over to a party the other night, and we joked about Tiny Tina for some time. :D Anyway, I'd go with BL2 as a start because you don't have to play them in order. BL2 has some modern conveniences in comparison (though the inventory system is worse IMO), has some fun characters that kinda hook people in. Later get her into BL1. It's a bit more geared toward an experienced shooter player to some degree.

If she's liking Dead Space, show her Prey! It's a similar style of game, but with MASSIVE amounts of refinement over Dead Space. (I love Dead Space too, but honestly, if I was just getting into this sort of thing, I'd like Prey a lot more.)

If she's into zombies, L4D with some friends is fun.

Second the Skyrim recommendation.

My wife doesn't play shooters because they make her sick (or maybe because she's only tried playing when we've had a couple of drinks :D ) but she thinks Doom, Quake, RAGE, and Wolfenstein are pretty cool. She's seen me playing them, and acknowledges their greatness without touching them. She also thought F.E.A.R. was pretty cool.

I'd still go Borderlands 2 to start though.

I'd also recommend some 2D games. Check out my 2D Game Database thread in the PC Game forum here. My oldest daughter loves Thimbleweed Park.

https://hardforum.com/threads/good-2d-pc-game-database.1943046/

Anyone should be able to enjoy a good game if they're into games in the first place, but I do find that women tend to gravitate more towards certain types, or at least certain series within a genre, so I think a lot of the advice here is good.

Edit: Didn't notice how old this thread was. Maybe this will still be of some use though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Realizing I'm a little late to the party, two games in particular helped ease my wife into computer gaming, Diablo and Heroes of Might & Magic

Back