Friend new PC wont boot...

Soyo13

Gawd
So my friend recently bought the parts to build a new pc for himself. But he's stuck at the point where the PC wont boot up. It would instantly turn off when he try to boot it up.

Hes deaf so listening for the beep code is out.
I live 8 hours away from him so cant personally go over there and see for myself.

I had him test the power supply using the paper clip mod and it works.
Tried to run the system with nothing but onboard video, cpu, ram with no anvil.
Everything is stock, cant even boot long enough to go into BIOS.
he said he did wire up the front power switch to the mainboard correctly.
He said the cpu is aligned correctly and the heatsink is secured properly.

System spec

Asus p8h67-v
8gb (4x2gb) Gskill DDR3 1333
Intel I7 2600
Corsair tx750

I'm stumped and not sure what to do next. Help me out here anyone?

Sorry if I missed out on any important details.

instantly turns off sounds like an over-current issue... have you got another power supply to try?

Have him double check the placement of all the standoffs and make sure the board isnt touching the case?

Interesting... He tested his older power supply and that did the trick, booted up without problem.

Why would a quality 750w unit get overloaded with almost nothing in the case but mobo, cpu, ram? That power supply isn't even a year old. :confused:

Why would a quality 750w unit get overloaded with almost nothing in the case but mobo, cpu, ram? That power supply isn't even a year old. :confused:

It could if it was defective.

He got the PSU replaced under warranty. The PC booted up and ran fine for a day but quit working, so I had him check his RAM. Turn out one of the four RAM sticks he had was bad so he had that replaced as well.

It's running fine now.

BTW, not cool bring up a 15 days old thread just to say that and to reach the 50 post count. :p

Back