from c2d e8400 to pii x4 940

vict0r

[H]ard|Gawd
is this upgrade worth it?

from e8400, asus rampage x48, 4 gigs of ram i want to grab a pii x4 940 (3.0ghz), ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 and 4 gigs of ddr3 memory or so?

is it worth it? or shall i just upgrade the e8400 to an intel q9550 and be done with it?

I would would just drop a Q9550 in your current motherboard. It's faster than the Phenom II 940 anyway and you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of changing your motherboard and selling your old one.

I would would just drop a Q9550 in your current motherboard. It's faster than the Phenom II 940 anyway and you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of changing your motherboard and selling your old one.

this this this.

Clock for Clock AMD loses to Intel C2D's. The only people that should get an AM2+ or AM3 mobo and CPU together are people building a new system or upgrading on a budget from a 478, 939 or old 775 system that doesn't take C2D's.

The only reason I'm going with a PII 720 is because I was started with a new system and my budget didn't include the funds for an Intel setup so I'm going from a 4850e @ 3ghz to the 720 which for me is worthwhile.

Since you have a mobo that supports the new chips it'd only make sense for you to stick with Intel unless you go the i7 route.

You have a high end chipset, x48, it's not worth it to sell it for a fraction of the cost. Keep the board, upgrade to the Q9550 and overclock it.

is this upgrade worth it?

from e8400, asus rampage x48, 4 gigs of ram i want to grab a pii x4 940 (3.0ghz), ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 and 4 gigs of ddr3 memory or so?

is it worth it? or shall i just upgrade the e8400 to an intel q9550 and be done with it?

if you upgrade i'll take that mb from you ;)

When you already have a system that you can drop a Q9550 in, then this switch over is not worth it. The benches between the two are all pretty similar + or - a few each way depending on the task and more often the Q is in the lead. Not worth the price of a new mobo. Drop a Q9550 in and you're set.

Last edited:
you are not going to get significant benefits from either. sell your shit, or save up and upgrade to i7/x58.

i7 920 - $280
6gb ddr3 - $100
x58 - $220

if you shop around or live near a microcenter you can do this for a little over 5 bills.

you are not going to get significant benefits from either. sell your shit, or save up and upgrade to i7/x58.

i7 920 - $280
6gb ddr3 - $100
x58 - $220

if you shop around or live near a microcenter you can do this for a little over 5 bills.

This is not such a bad idea, that only means about $250 outta pocket for you after selling yoru current setup.

I love this forum. No matter what your budget is or what you're using, someone's gonna suggest you upgrade to i7 xD.

I love this forum. No matter what your budget is or what you're using, someone's gonna suggest you upgrade to i7 xD.

of course. he already has a 45nm dually. he is definitely not going to see much of a performance bump going amd or to a slower (than his 8400) quad. i hadnt noticed any budget limits.

of course. he already has a 45nm dually. he is definitely not going to see much of a performance bump going amd or to a slower (than his 8400) quad. i hadnt noticed any budget limits.

Except for the fact he's looking at a $200 CPU and his stuff is worth about $250 - $300 if he sells his current setup, thats $450. i7 is arround $50 more at most.

I think conflicting sides each have their own merit..

If you're actually doing things that make sure of more than one core, like CAD or video encoding, photoshop, etc, then the Q9550 will be a substantial upgrade. If you're primarily gaming and doing things which aren't going to make use of the extra cores then it's not worth it. Save your money and upgrade to the new i7 or maybe even the i5 in a year or so when you really need to. Who knows, by then maybe something else will be the way to go.

so i guess it would be better to just hold on to this system and maybe just get another set of 4 gig of memory to have 8 gigs then...

and maybe a new monitor...i guess after all this system is good enough for the time being...

a new monitor is always great. but if you are moving to more real estate/higher res, you may very well need some more horsepower to game on it.

+1 on new monitor.

I went from a small 17" to a 24"

I'll never go back to anything below 24" now.

Back