From Scratch -- Project :: Duallie Woodie

uzor said:
You really ought to apply some veneer to that CD-ROM drive, so you don't see the beige plastic from the front.

I second that very much! that would look way classier.

uzor said:
You really ought to apply some veneer to that CD-ROM drive, so you don't see the beige plastic from the front.

Next time I'm in town I'll look for some. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Two quick questions. 1) Aren't you worried about the potential grounding issues with that case? It strikes me that it isn't as good as grounding as a standard metallic case. Maybe I'm just missing something though, and you've already taken that into account. 2) How'd you do, markwise, on this beauty?

DamienThorn said:
Two quick questions. 1) Aren't you worried about the potential grounding issues with that case? It strikes me that it isn't as good as grounding as a standard metallic case. Maybe I'm just missing something though, and you've already taken that into account. 2) How'd you do, markwise, on this beauty?

1) I thought the grounding over for a while, and convinced myself that the issue was for the older AT generation of computers. So I am assuming that most of the grounding is done through a couple of layers of traces on the motherboard back to some of the common pins on the ATX 20/24-pin power connectors.
  • Some HTPC setups are mounted to wood/arcrylic
  • Arcylic cases are semi-popular, and I heard no problems from them
  • Pizzabox cases...I didnt hear problems from them except for grease stains, etc
  • Some ATX cases, even ones made of metal, use plastic stand-offs -- so there is no ground path through the case to PSU (at least my P3 tower did this)
So while grounding does not seem to be an issue with today's computers from the observations I made above, I think that EMI may be a real issue.

EMI is the reason I would really like to avoid taking the PSU appart...I'm sure you've heard/know that switching PSUs make a lot of EMI when in operation. With how close my components are packed, and that I use IDE cabeling, I'm sure leaking interference from the PSU would mean instant data-corruption. (or worse -- drawn out but more prevelant corruption and other intermittent problems)

Also with the EMI issues, I'm not sure how effective 1-inch thick pieces of red-oak attenuate different radio frequencies. All I know is that non-conductive wood is much less effective than a conductive metal. Fortunately (or unfortunately for nearly every other reason) I live in Idaho so this doesn't really bother anyone :D

2) On 1 to 10, with 10 being the best...I'd say I did a 6 job here. (Of course on the evaluation I filled out for school, I gave it 10 of 10 :D)

I needed to do some more planning. After I built the HDD tray, I didn't provide adequate ventillation for the HDD area. I'm trying to find a way to do this, but since the whole thing is Gorilla Glued to the case, I have to do it in place...and I don't have the flexible dremel shaft to be able to work out drilling holes to make cuts with a tiny saw. Since I am using the computer though I have to keep the HDDs out of there to keep the temps safe.

I also needed to make cleaner cuts. I used a jig-saw that warped like crazy, and had to router afterwards to have cleaner cuts. The corners suffered from this technique and I produced quite a few burns.

Then there were some layout issues that I learned. More planning would help. Especially trying to plan around problems that develop. Most of my edges/joints look okay, but a few are off from 90 degrees just enough to leave small gaps on the inside.

Finally the end result is this: a box. Not paticularly creative, but it's still pretty difficult to use non-standard positioning for parts and try to make it work. (This is the only PC case I know where the PSU is in the inside-front)

But if I was to do this again; I'd be able to do a much better job after learning from expirence. Better choice of woods, better cuts, better fits, and better layout. Though I'm sure the next few revisions (if I can get access to a wood shop...now that I'm out of High School this is a bit more difficult on a budget) will still be a box.

Again, once I find the veneer & acrylic side panel, and hopefully get more work done when I'm not using it, I'll post more pictures. And wow those answers were definately not short compared to the questions.

Cheers & thanks for looking :)

Back