Frustrating lock-up on new build

SILVR 6

Gawd
I"ve just assembled a system to use in a dual lcd setup (laptop won't do it) specs:

Asus M2NBP-CSM AM2
Built in Quadro NVS210 graphics
Sempron 2800+
1GB Geil PC2-6400 2x512
WD 2.5" Scorpio idea hdd (going for a silent computer)
LG 52X Burner
OCZ Modstream 450W

Alright so on a fresh install of windows XP pro SP2 I get the computer locking up after I enable the automatic updates and it starts to install the "windows installer 3.1"

I have tried manually installed(well tried) the windows installer package outside of windows update however the same thing happens computer locks up and then there is screen coruption.

I"ve ruled out hardware failure becaue prior to plugging it into the net for the updates I looped 3Dmark 2003 and orthos for 2 days straight with no problems.

Has anyone else had this problem or any suggestions. I'm thinking it may be related to using the notebook hard drive (its ide)

I"ve ran the WD utility, everything with the system is fine until I install the windows installer 3.1 as is required by windows update. System is 100% fully functional before then, I'll try updating the bios to see if that fixes it and my last effort will be to try installing xp on a sata drive instead. Thnx for the KB articles i'll give those ideas a shot as well.

Update- I installed Xp using a 36gb raptor which is sata, and all the problems seem to have gone away so it must have had something to do with the ide notebook hard drive connected to the system (possibly the adaptor)

Reformat that laptop drive and install Windows XP on it again. If the problem still presists, then it could be the connection.

Back