Gawd
Just got this in email

http://frys.com/product/5524820

Maxtor 1TB Serial ATA/300 32MB Buffer Hard Drive - L01F1000
Maxtor:
FRYS.com #: 5524820

* Serial ATA internal hard drive - 7200 RPM, up to 32MB cache
* Whisper-quiet FDB motor
* Upgrade kit includes MaxBlast software, SATA cable, power adapter, screws & guide.

Also available at the So-Cal B&M stores, but there is a 2 drive limit per purchase at the B&M stores.

The reason they're cheap is because they're Maxtor... least reliable drives on the market.

The reason they're cheap is because they're Maxtor... least reliable drives on the market.
Have a link to back up that this 1TB drive is unreliable?

Probably just another guy who doesn't know that Maxtor drives are made by Seagate, like they have been for a couple of years now.

i wish these were around 100. shouldn't be long now with the 1.5tb out soon ;)

they're coming out with the 1.5 terabyte .11 drives soon so hopefully the prices get even better like it is now

i'm still grumbling over buying my two at the higher 180 price oh well lol

Have a link to back up that this 1TB drive is unreliable?

Probably just another guy who doesn't know that Maxtor drives are made by Seagate, like they have been for a couple of years now.
I stand by my Maxtor comment. I've had way too many fail on me over the years.

Sure you did.

Maxtor's have had this reputation for a long time. I haven't liked the Maxtors I've bought in the past either, but that was a long time ago. I can't say much for them these days, but I still will only buy actual Seagate drives if I have a choice. I've never had a Seagate drive fail in less than 5 years.

Here's an old comic from 2000 that comes to mind.

http://www.reallifecomics.com/archive/000311.html

heh, the seagate vs. maxtor debates are entertaining

Really tho - How long must one reasonably wait in order to see the effect of 1.5TB drives being announced??

$179 - $159 is a great price for a 1TB drive, is it the new standard pricing?
Or next week will they be $125 :confused:

wait 3 years when 2tb hd will be available and 1tb will be $1/gb

Gonna pickup another 4 i think. A man can't have enough storage.

wait 3 years when 2tb hd will be available and 1tb will be $1/gb

well seeins how its 16 cents a gig now, we should probably all buy them all now instead of waiting 3 years when they'll go up to "a dollar a gig"

Idiots, Seagate bought Maxtor out, these drives are Seagates.

True Maxtor drives do suck IMO. Remember, there are plenty of old Maxtor drives still out there. That being said, I would have no problem buying the new Maxtor (re-badged Seagates).

Sure you did.

Admittedly, I too have had several Maxtors's die on me. I've had all drives die, but quite a few Maxtor's. That said, it's been quite sometime since I've used them, haven't used any Segate manufactured ones yet, but at that price, I'll give them another shot.

If these Maxtor drives are just as good as Seagate branded drives, why even still use the name Maxtor? We all know Seagate bought Maxtor two years ago, but isn't Maxtor still like a seperate company working under them? To me they seem like Seagate's budget line of hard drives. As long as they have the same 5 year warranty as regular Seagate drives, then I would be fine with buying one for simple storage purposes. However, I did a bit of searching and can't seem to find any warranty information on them. All I have is a description page from Newegg that states 1 year (Click the specification tab):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144244
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 1 year limited
Labor 1 year limited

If it is 1 year, that doesn't give me a whole lot of faith in the product. Seagate's branded drives, on the other hand, have their fantastic 5 year warranty:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148274
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 5 years limited
Labor 5 years limited

I think Maxtors have always had 3 year warranties in the past. If anybody knows what they are, please let us know.

Well I just bought one, hopefully it's not a dud or doesn't become one anytime soon.

They are seagate drives with 3yr warrantys...

Simple :)

+1 Ive compared the new maxtors models to their seagate cousins and they are exactly the the same - down to the last diode on the controller boards.

Also, anyone who says "blah blah bad exp too many failures" has peanuts to go on unless they have installed 10,000+ drives.

Statistically, ALL brands of HD's will FAIL to some %. (deathstars dont count lol)

+1 Ive compared the new maxtors models to their seagate cousins and they are exactly the the same - down to the last diode on the controller boards.

Also, anyone who says "blah blah bad exp too many failures" has peanuts to go on unless they have installed 10,000+ drives.

Statistically, ALL brands of HD's will FAIL to some %. (deathstars dont count lol)

bingo.....

even maxtor's last gen of drives before they were bought out were quite good... i still have several that run fast and strong... but there was one model a while back... avail in 20, 40 and 60 that was complete trash...

but also remember the seagate drives that came out around the same time with the dopey black rubber on them... they had a pretty high failure rate as well (besides being incredibly loud)...

at one time or another they all had bad models...

Sounds about right to me. I'll stick with hard drives with 5 year warranties regardless though. I also got burned on a few Deathstars back in 2002, so I'm very picky about my disks.

They also have the samsung spinpoint F1's for the same price, but with no quantity limit :D Picked up a few of those.

Back