FS: Broken Vaio Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

awdark

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Vaio VGN-S260 laptop for sale.
It has a broken motherboard, specifically the northbridge chip has poor connection preventing it from booting. If you apply firm pressure to that chip it will start up normally and function, so if you are into baking or using a heat gun on motherboards this might be a nice deal for you. But it will be sold as is because I can't guarantee you will be able to fix it short of just replacing the motherboard. I was given this laptop as payment after I diagnosed it to have a broken motherboard. I would replace and repair it but I currently don't need another laptop. I am looking for about $150>100>80 for it, yes it needs repair but if you get it working this 13" laptop would be far better than any netbook and the build quality (might be metal) just feels a lot better than my HP laptop or Dell mini.

I don't know the exact specs on the laptop but the exact model number is PCG-6D1L and I believe it has a Pentium M chip in it. I did not remove the heat sink so I do not have the cpu information.

rIMG_4857.jpg

Bottom sticker

You can see the micro ddr and the wifi card
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af74/awdark1/Vaio/rIMG_7025.jpg
It has a Pentium M 1.7ghz processor with 2mb cache.

rIMG_8332.jpg

rIMG_8334.jpg

rIMG_8339.jpg

rIMG_8320.jpg

The exterior is in excellent condition, there are a lot of fingerprints but I don't see any major scratches.

Keyboard and palm rest in excellent condition.
Full disclosure: Wifi switch cover missing (right below centrino logo), a few of the ribbons have a loose blue plastic tab so it may be a little more difficult to insert.

Overall condition: Very Good
Screen: For the short while I was able to use the laptop the screen appeared to be in very good working condition without any scratches.
Palm rest/Keyboard: Excellent conditon very little wear on the keys and touchpad. In fact its in far better shape than my HP. :eek:
Power: The ac adapter is functional, the battery seems to charge but I was unable to test the battery life

What you get:
I have a bag of screws from taking it apart, I can try to reassemble it if you want. I think I have most if not all of the screws.
This laptop has a slim cd burner/dvd reader, thinner than the normal slim dvd drive.
Does not include a hard drive, it uses a standard IDE 2.5" drive, ribbon and cage is included but 4 screws to mount the drive is not included.
Since this is broken it will be sold as is and no returns.

I am looking to get about $170 > $150 >125>100>80>70 for this in paypal. PM with offers
Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=28463

Currently have slight interest in laptop will see how it goes.

Edit: Added processor speed
Edit: dropped price.
Edit: closing thread

Last edited:
Bump any interest? Maybe I should just put it on ebay and hope for something there

Bump, dropped it to 100 lets see if thats any closer to what people want

Bump dropped it to $80

Sadly don't have any interest in the ipad SD camera connector either.

so if you apply pressure and get it to boot, what happens to it once you release the pressure?

so if you apply pressure and get it to boot, what happens to it once you release the pressure?

Sorry for the slow reply, I usually just sign in to check the PMs

When you release the pressure, the screen actually freezes for example the progress bar on windows will stop going. Then when you apply the pressure again the thing continues to scroll.

I believe I had a similar laptop a long time ago (5 or 6 years ago?) with the same issue.

You can try calling Sony and seeing if they might fix it for free - as it is on the list of known issues if I remember correctly. But then again - that was several years ago - but it wouldn't hurt to try for anyone looking to pick this up.

theres a guy on here called i think compudocs who fixes laptops. bought 2 of my broken ones for a damn decent price. you can try PMing him and see if hes interested. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back