FSP Everest 1010w Power Supply @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
FSP Everest 1010w Power Supply - If a company is ballsy enough to send a 1 kilowatt + computer power supply into HardOCP it must be just that good. Or is it? We show you again the reason for knowing what you are buying when it comes to PSUs.

The Everest 1010w is the first FSP power supply we have reviewed as a standalone product branded by FSP and it comes it right at the top of the units FSP is currently offering. As such we had great expectations for this unit that were mostly met until we tried to get full power from the unit at 45c ambient temperature as part of our normal testing suite.

HardOCP_FAIL_250-Forum.jpg

Love that giant "FAIL" logo :D

The one thing that still confounds me is why do PSU companies knowingly release a PSU whose ripple/noise rating exceeds that of the ATX12V specifications?

The one thing that still confounds me is why do PSU companies knowingly release a PSU whose ripple/noise rating exceeds that of the ATX12V specifications?

This unit did not exceed ATX specs on ripple. Perhaps the OEM was too lazy to make changes to the packaging.It is probably an 800W unit that was stretched out to 1010W. Not worth the money either.

PS# The Fail logo is brilliant! I wonder how much flak Paul's going to cop for this...:D

Good review. Awsome "FAIL" graphic! :D

It was dissapointing seeing this unit fail, even more so when it looks like they got the ripple issue uner control. Third time is a charm, FSP. I've used their midrange stuff for quite awhile for other builds, and haven't been dissapointed.

It is a good PSU. max of 25 mA ripples. Good DC regulators and efficiency. Built is not bad too.

Pitty its rated at 1000watts or it would have gotten a gold, as mentioned above.

that giant red X scared me haha. no joke, shit is BAM in your face! like a screamer.

that giant red X scared me haha. no joke, shit is BAM in your face! like a screamer.

Hehe, no kidding man. I when I got to the conclusion page and scrolled down, BAM big red X. It's amazing how such a strong color can jolt your attention almost instantly.

First off: I love that "Fail" logo. Brilliant. Though you'll never it as an advertising blurb on a product.

Review itself: For some reason every time I see a FSP review I expect the worst out of it. The moment you mentioned it reminded you of an Epsilon I knew that was it. Though I was expecting the regulation to go wild, not for it to fail the power test.

Would make a good 800 watt unit, but I still wouldn't buy a product that "earns" a fail on these reviews.

My guess is the engineers said 800W based upon real conditions and some marketing person took the theoretical and passed them as fact. Usually when a product does well up to about 70-80% this is the story.

Weirdly enough, in my industry hitting 100% still means you are probably @ 60% of the products capability...in extreme conditions.

My guess is the engineers said 800W based upon real conditions and some marketing person took the theoretical and passed them as fact. Usually when a product does well up to about 70-80% this is the story.

Weirdly enough, in my industry hitting 100% still means you are probably @ 60% of the products capability...in extreme conditions.

No they actually rated it at 1010w at 25c with an 8.6w/c derating curve. The older Epsilon had a 10w/c derating curve beyond 25c so this is, on paper anyway, an improvement.

No they actually rated it at 1010w at 25c with an 8.6w/c derating curve. The older Epsilon had a 10w/c derating curve beyond 25c so this is, on paper anyway, an improvement.

so advertising it as an 838W PSU = pass? :D

I'm not sure what to think about this review.

You know this is sad, because FSP / Sparkle has actually been known for making some great and solid low to middle-end PSUs. For some fucking reason they keep releasing PSUs based on the heavily flawed Epsilon platform, marketing them as 'high end', and really end up ruining their reputation.

Evidently the Epsilon platform just cannot be revised in such a way as to result in a solid high wattage unit - and re-releasing the platform under a new name (Everest) isn't helping. They need to scrap this design and go back to the more traditional designs.

That Fail logo is the best ever. Now to resist the urge to use that on forum trolls... :)

LOL, you guys need to start using that FAIL graphic more often. It is awesome.

I wonder, at what point did the PSU fail (what % of load)? I'm just curious to see how close did the PSU get to 100% load before it crapped out.

Well that's disappointing. I just recommended an 800w Everest as an alternative to a Corsair unit because they needed a modular P/S, their budget wouldn't stretch to the 1000w Corsair PS and I wasn't comfortable trying to run their system off the 620w model, AND because FSP has generally made decent stuff, as far as I know. Judging by that review they probably would've been better off with the 620w Corsair.

In their case (a Centurion 590 with 5 ~60cfm 120mm fans and an air intake specifically for the PS) it shouldn't get hot enough for the derating curve this thing has to make much of a difference, but it's still disappointing.

Great logo. When it comes to PSU reviews I'll usually skip to the last page for the rating (the stuff in between doesn't interest me, I just want the summary), and BOOM there goes that FAIL logo. So naturally I had to go back and read the other pages ;)

Nice logo and an excellent review.

I've used low-end FSP units in builds before and haven't had one fail. It's a sinking feeling to see their higher-ended offering fail to meet its marketed rated output. This will be another PSU I won't be recommending to any of my customers.

Well if it had been rated at 800w it would have passed but it wasn't.

According to the de-rating schedule, the unit is cleverly rated 838 watts at 45C - and it did pass the torture test at ~800 watts @ 45C.

However, [H] does good by the end-user by leveling the playing field at 45C, and hasn't wavered from that standard in the time I've been reading and archive articles I've checked. Choosing a capable PSU is hard enough without having to take case temperature into account as well, and 45C is plenty high enough to find some margin for a tight case in a sweatshop LAN party - the last place you'd want your gaming rig to shut down.

Besides, if you didn't hold the bar at 45C, some marketing guy would take an 800 watt PSU and try to sell it as a 1200 watt PSU at 0C ;)

+1 for the Fail logo :cool:

I can see it now, a commercial for hardocp.com ... All like "We know whats really hard, we expect the best." Then a bunch of different failed test products are shown and that big FAIL logo gets stamped on each of em while some announcer rhythmically chants "FAIL FAIL FAIL" :D:p

Does 45c refer to the temperature in the room, or the temperature of the PSU. 45c is over 110F, so if that is the room temperature, isn't that a bit hot?

Then don't build your PC with enough stuff to draw 1kw? A SMPS only delivers what is required not its full rated output.

you know, one doesn't buy a 1kw psu to use it with a pc that draws 250w...

i've always been tempted to get a dual/quad gpu setup, but the power it sucks would just be a waste. that's what i meant

Love that giant "FAIL" logo :D

Because 99.999% of people who buy one aren't Hard OCP testers. :)

Because 99.999% of people who buy one aren't Hard OCP testers. :)

Exactly. They sell stuff like that as the average person sees 1000W and assumes it will give them 1000W. Most aren't going to read reviews, they are just going to go out and buy some power supply. Like with other products they think that when looking at a $100 PSU and a $50 that the only difference if the name stamped on it.

So if a unit doesn't pass under 45c, but does pass under its rated temperature, why is that a failure?

It passes manufacture rating, not [H] user rating. It's rated at 25c, or 77f. I know my case is hotter then that. Hell, half the year my house is hotter then that. So I'd like a unit that can run in my conditions.

And like I said, it failed [H]'s test, even the "Fail" graphic says that.

So if a unit doesn't pass under 45c, but does pass under its rated temperature, why is that a failure?

Did you read the article I linked already?

My office was a touch under 44c that day and 25c is not a realistic operating temperature. So even if I didn't put it in an incubator at 45c the unit would have failed at my room temp that day.

Isn't 25c right around room temperature? While there are places that get to 45c, they are not very common. My CPU usually idles around 28-30c, which means ambient temperature would be lower than that. So performance I get out of a PSU could be very different than performance you guys see in testing.

I'm not criticizing the article by any means, I'm just trying to understand how to take temperature into account when reading PSU ratings.

Isn't 25c right around room temperature?

Yeah 25c is 77F.

While there are places that get to 45c, they are not very common.

They are a lot more common than you think. If your room is 25c what temperature do you think it is inside your case? If you guessed considerably warmer than 25c you are correct. My office the two days of testing for this unit hovered around 44c (That's what happens when your outside airtemp is over 36c and you have a load tester, servers, and switches running), I had to wait for 5 days until we had a cool rainy day before I could try the unit at ~27c (with the AC cranking).

I own many electronics that say don't use above 105F, which is lower than 45c.

Um ok.

I'm not criticizing the article by any means, I'm just trying to understand how to take temperature into account when reading PSU ratings.

Well lower rated temperature means the lower your total DC output at actual relevant operating conditions as you run into the derating curve as this review showed. There is no point in reviewing units at unrealistically low temperatures.

Ouch. I like the Fail logo but that's definitely going to hurt some products, since so far you guys simply said whether or not it performed up to task.

I think this'll have to be used a few more times so companies don't think you're out to get them.

Good review and I agree with the others about the fail logo. You all need to keep that.

It passes manufacture rating, not [H] user rating. It's rated at 25c, or 77f. I know my case is hotter then that. Hell, half the year my house is hotter then that. So I'd like a unit that can run in my conditions.

And like I said, it failed [H]'s test, even the "Fail" graphic says that.

Did you read the article I linked already?
My office was a touch under 44c that day and 25c is not a realistic operating temperature. So even if I didn't put it in an incubator at 45c the unit would have failed at my room temp that day.

I guess I'm still not grasping why the unit is considered a failure when it was knowingly run outside of its specification. Derating curves are a fact of life with all power electronics and need to be accounted for. I'm actually surprised the manufacturer even supplied the curve. The 100% load test at 45C should have been at its derated output of about 840 Watts.

Back