FT: 74Gb Raptor, for two(2x) 36Gb Raptors

Anyone out there who wants a 74Gb instead of two 36's? I wanted to buy another 74 originally, but I find that it alone is too big for me. I have most of it empty all the time...

It has about 2.5years warranty, and you don't have to provide an invoice, when RMAing with WD, they just care about their own barcode :). In any event, I can ship the invoice as well; not a difficulty.

I want two 36Gb raptors that work, and don't have anything obviously wrong with them (such as the few rogue ones that are FUCKING LOUD and a half). My own raptor is very quiet, by the way.

Hey Fluffy before you do anything stupid dont give up that 74GB believe me, it is not the same as a 36GB Raptor, the 36's were released before the new larger ones and they have very diffeent technology, if you're looking for setting up two 36's in RAID it will be alot better to save you're money for another 74GB.

When the 74GB Raptor's were being developed they were given a new feature "Command Queuing Interface" which helps the buffer and actually makes it alot better at loading times. Another cool feature is that they no longer have ball bearings which are relatively loud so compared to the 36GB's these things sound like sleepin on a clousd in heaven peaceful and tranquil. And believe me dude i have owned over eight 74GB Raptors and have owned about three 36GB ones and the 74blows it away in performence and noise.

Interested in selling it outright and then buying your replacement drives? If so, what's your price. :)

No, I'm more interested in having a RAID0 array with two 36Gig raptors. Are they all very loud??

2 x 36rs are louder than 2 x 74s. I did a side by side comparison and the 74s were about 11 decibals lower than the 36s.

SmUtTnY said:
Hey Fluffy before you do anything stupid dont give up that 74GB believe me, it is not the same as a 36GB Raptor, the 36's were released before the new larger ones and they have very diffeent technology, if you're looking for setting up two 36's in RAID it will be alot better to save you're money for another 74GB.

When the 74GB Raptor's were being developed they were given a new feature "Command Queuing Interface" which helps the buffer and actually makes it alot better at loading times. Another cool feature is that they no longer have ball bearings which are relatively loud so compared to the 36GB's these things sound like sleepin on a clousd in heaven peaceful and tranquil. And believe me dude i have owned over eight 74GB Raptors and have owned about three 36GB ones and the 74blows it away in performence and noise.
Darth, the 74GB is essentially v2 of the Raptor. It's a completely different drive than it's older and smaller brother. It's over 30% faster in desktop performance, which an infinite amount of 36GB RAIDed together could not change. To make it simple, one 74GB provides better desktop performance than 2 36GB Raptors. See the comparison:
http://storagereview.com/php/benchm...&numDrives=1&devID_0=259&devID_1=249&devCnt=2

Darth, I thought I'd let you know "daos" on xtremesystems.org is looking for the other half of this trade. 2*36GBs Raptors in RAID do have advantages over one 74GB (possibly load times), but IMO the 74GB is the better option. Just giving you that alternative . ;)

storagereview has the best articles/forums/faqs on drives if you want to research the difference yourself.

Back