Fun with bootmenus

So I was playing with my boot menus and installed LILO over GRUB

Now both of my boot loaders are totally borked, and I'm not sure how to fix them.

I can't get GRUBs bootmenu to come up at all, it always returns an error. I have to boot into rescue mode and rewrite my MBR with LILO.

LILO works, sort of. I'm running a dual boot system and LILO automatically boots to Linux without displaying a menu at all. Basically I have no way of getting back into Windows.

I've tried running both lilo and liloconfig as root but it dosen't provide me with any option to boot into Windows afterwards.

When I view my lilo.conf it shows the Windows section in it, and a LinuxOLD section so I half expect to see a menu when LILO comes around, but alas I don't.

Heres the last section of my lilo.conf file.
Code:
#
# Boot up Linux by default.
#
default=Linux

image=/vmlinuz
   label=Linux
   read-only
#  restricted
#  alias=1

initrd=/initrd.img

image=/vmlinuz.old
   label=LinuxOLD
   read-only
   optional
#  restricted
#  alias=2

initrd=/initrd.img.old

# If you have another OS on this machine to boot, you can uncomment the
# following lines, changing the device name on the `other' line to
# where your other OS' partition is.
#
# other=/dev/hda4
#  label=HURD
#  restricted
#  alias=3
other=/dev/hda1
   label=Windows
   table=/dev/hda
#  restricted
#  alias=2

as far as lilo goes, the start of the file is of significance also. personally, this is what i have. the section of interest is likely the "timeout" be sure there is a value greater than 0 here if you want to have time to make a selection (this is listed in seconds). also, be sure there is a prompt in there.

Code:
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hda
message = /boot/boot_message.txt
prompt
timeout = 10
# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
change-rules
  reset
vga = normal

also, it chooses the default os based on the first listing, so if you want windows to be default, put it first, or if you want linux default, put it first.

as a final note, to uninstall lilo, run lilo -u.

Back