AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ Manchester
JetWay A210GDMS-Pro
Crucial PC3200 2GB kit (1GBx2)
7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
Seagate Barracuda 300GB 7200 RPM SATA150 HDD
THERMALRIGHT XP-90C Heatsink w/ Panaflo 92mm fan
CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value
Antec NeoPower ATX 480W Power Supply*

Havent decided on a monitor (looking at 2005fpw or 2405fpw if i get a good deal on one) or a set of speakers as i havent moved into my dorm so i dont know how much space i have to live for the next semester.
*was pretty much decided on the antec neopower 480w but now im hearing a lot about the seasonic 500w and the ocz modstream 520w
so i need help in deciding on a PSU

this system is mainly for gaming (but i like to multitask as it will be my main rig for everything, college work, gaming etc) and must last for at least the next 2 years due to me becoming a poor college student :p
i am checking around on ebay to hopefully get a good deal on x2 4400+, dell 2405fpw and a 7800gtx

if you have any other recommendations, they would be very welcome.

thanks in advance

also consider the window-less chenming.. i've had my qpack for <2weeks and all 3 windows are scratched already.

yea i have the windowless chenming version, and the inside is scratched up so im glad there are no windows, also the PSU is supposed to be better than the Qpack. I am having some cooling problems with the stock stuff. I ordered a zalman 7000b cu so when that gets in hopefully that will take care of my cooling problem (only a problem when running games using IGP)

i have the zalman 7000 and my cpu temps are great - however, my hdd temps are a bit high.

niranjan162 said:
yea i have the windowless chenming version, and the inside is scratched up so im glad there are no windows, also the PSU is supposed to be better than the Qpack. I am having some cooling problems with the stock stuff. I ordered a zalman 7000b cu so when that gets in hopefully that will take care of my cooling problem (only a problem when running games using IGP)

can someone(s) confirm that the chenming psu is better than the qpack psu? or rather, if it is enough of a improvement that it can run a relatively high-end non-sli comp more stably than the aspire crap?

You'd be surprised how good the onboard sound is on the Jetway board. I used to have the Via Envy Chaintech AV710 sound card, which is supposed to sound better than the Audigy 2 when listening to music, and the onboard sound of my Jetway sounds alot better than my Chaintech card did.

I'd also consider the Maxtor Maxline III drives. I have both the Seagate 7200.8 alongside my Maxtor Maxline III and the Maxline III is definately faster. Both have 5 year warranties.

well i plan on cutting the side windows for 1 or 2 intake fans so i would prefer the windows...

also i know that the xp-90c requires a bit of modding with the fan to get it to fit, you simply have to install the heatsink, then install the fan above the heatsink (part of the fan will rest on the side hdd rail so that there will some space between the fan base and the top of the heatsink), then you use duct tape to seal off the space between the fan and heatsink and it should work fine :) i am ordering a retail cpu so that i will have a backup HSF as well.

will definitely look into the maxtor maxline, i was ordering a diamondmax but switched to saegate today. the maxline is a bit more expensive than the seagate... depends on my budget, faster cpu/video card / upgrade from 2005fpw to 2405fpw will have first priority of any extra $$ i have

what about the PSU?

Soymilk said:
can someone(s) confirm that the chenming psu is better than the qpack psu? or rather, if it is enough of a improvement that it can run a relatively high-end non-sli comp more stably than the aspire crap?

I wouldn't trust either of the PSU's with anything worth more than a Socket A setup. I swapped out my Qpack PSU for a fortron and haven't looked back. The 420W Aspire rails were terrible (and i had the ones with the 30W 12V rail)

The Chenming is strange; their psu's have dual 12V rails with a 24-pin connector only. The 12v1 is 10A , heh. I've never heard of the brand "Hi-power" (the chenming psu brand), So I woudln't put a whole lot of trust in it. From the pictures on the egg, it looks like a mATX psu.

i need help to decide between the antec neopower 480w, seasonic 500w and ocz modstream 520w PSUs
are there any other great PSU besides these 3 that will handle the system well?
i will be keeping the stock PSU as a backup PSU

I like the seasonic, because I own the 600w version. Most quiet PSU I have owned, thus far. Plenty of connections, but that might be a problem for the x-qpack. Im building mine probably thursday, ill let you know.

Im running my system off the chenming PSU, its worked fine so far. no problems with it. A64 3000 running at almost 2 ghz (1979). Jetway MOBO, Tv tuner, Liteon DVD burner. Havent gotten a vid card yet, little short on cash. Only problem i run into is that the NB overheats when i try to play a game with the integrated graphics. Does that happen to anyone else?

i was originally looking for a modular psu because it will be less cluttered inside the case, should i stick with that plan?
would luv to hear how the seasonic works out, i have never done any sleeving though
silence is a big plus :)

I would say, do what you want to do. Its your box, let it reflect how you want it too. I would say a modular would work just fine. It all comes down to what you want to do, and how far you want to take it.

now on a side note (I would get a modular possibly, if I didnt already have the seasonic 600)

Goodluck on your build, and Ill let you know how it works out.

well im really looking for some advice to help me decide because right now i have no idea which to choose lol
so im asking for PSU advice
is there any reason why i shudnt go with the neopower? thats the question i should be asking i guess :p

good luck with ur build as well :)

Back