FX-55 at 3.0ghz?

rolo

Gawd
In general, what would it probably take to get an FX-55 running at 3.0 GHz? Are they good overclockers at all or are they pretty close to the limit at stock?

They overclock like banshees. 3.75 Ghz I believe is the fastest one, only suicide screen stable though. I believe it's 100% stable at 3.5 Ghz or something around those lines. In general you need at least high quality water and a lot of luck to hit 3 Ghz. You need phase change to get farther. $1000+ setups for CPU cooling only, generally getting to -50C degrees and colder. They do overclock well, you just need great cooling.

Well I don't want to go with water cooling. What about regular heatsink/fan type setups, can I hit 3ghz with one of those?

i highly doubt it, but go ahead and try, it won't hurt to do a stability test

I highly doubt it. Very, very highly doubt it. 2.8 Ghz if you're lucky, 2.9 Ghz if you have extreme air cooling. They are beastly overclockers, but you can't expect much on air.

Hmm, ok. Well what kind of water cooling setup would work decently on this? I don't want to go overboard, I just want 3.0ghz without spending tons of cash (well, beyond that already spent on the CPU itself).

I think centralny has got his to 3.0 with some GSkill and Vapochill on the MSI K8N Neo Platinum 2

hehe there is not quality watercooling at $100 unless u already own some of the components (pump and heatercore)

gosh who would spend so much money ( 1000+) for s puny 400mhz overclock to 3.0ghz? or a lil higher.. if that was me.. i would just save the money up for my next computer :) but that's just me and the guy(s) probably has tons and tons of money to spend and wouldn't even care.. i wish i was like that :)

Hah, so it seems like the options are either ... cross your fingers and get 2.9ghz on air, or spend lots of cash on water cooling for the ability to hit 3 to 3.5ghz easily. Sound about right? :)

You'll probably only ever hit 3 Ghz on water if you're lucky. 2.9 is more likely. For guaranteed 2.9+ you'd need phase change.

rolo said:
Hah, so it seems like the options are either ... cross your fingers and get 2.9ghz on air, or spend lots of cash on water cooling for the ability to hit 3 to 3.5ghz easily. Sound about right? :)

You probably wouldn't hit 3.5 Ghz on water. You would need a "refrigerator" style cooler, a Vapo Phase or w/e its called. But anyway, you have a FX-55, why do you need to OC it? Its fast enough to handle ALLx1000000000 your needs. Your not going to be able to open Microsoft Office any faster you know ;)

No, I don't have an FX-55 (see sig) :) I was thinking about getting one, but I'd really like it to run at 3.0ghz. Otherwise it's much harder to justify spending all that cash.

rolo said:
No, I don't have an FX-55 (see sig) :) I was thinking about getting one, but I'd really like it to run at 3.0ghz. Otherwise it's much harder to justify spending all that cash.

You won't hit 3 Ghz on water. You need phasechange ($1000+).

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
You probably wouldn't hit 3.5 Ghz on water. You would need a "refrigerator" style cooler, a Vapo Phase or w/e its called. But anyway, you have a FX-55, why do you need to OC it? Its fast enough to handle ALLx1000000000 your needs. Your not going to be able to open Microsoft Office any faster you know ;)

I run 3ghz 24/7 on water. It is quite common with the FX-55. :D

rolo said:
2.9 Ghz on air is easy with multi10x290 if your memory can eat it or multi14.5x200. Just make sure your psu can supply enough juice :D
fx55 stock hsf:
hsf.JPG

Well I'm fine with doing something like 15x200 ... but 10x290? Damn dude, that's pretty slick :)

rolo said:

I am in the middle of my project right now doing a watercooled overclocked FX55. Even at stock speed FX55's still out perform Intel 3.8E stuff no prob. At 3ghz they are the equvilent of a 4.8 Intel or better. Wasnt able to get enough out of my FX53. The SSOI process makes the FX55 a better overclocker.

Cpt

James Earl Ray said:
Hey thats me! :D

Why yes it is!!! In fact I might need your advice on my latest project. Which is a water cooled FX55. That is if ya dont mind and have the time.

The Captin

Sure, no problem. Just PM me when you have any questions. :D Oh I got a new gig of the Gskill and at the same speeds as the OCZ I get much better bandwidth. So you never know what you are gonna get.

rolo said:

Your an intel freak aren't you? Athlon chips (k7 / k8) are not about clock speeds. They are about doing more for every clock. For example, if have an fx55 at 2.6 doing 78billion instructions per-clock versus a Xeon at 3ghz doing only 31billion instructions per-clock, the difference will be very extreme, would it not? Speed is not always about the clock on your cpu.

ZMTToxics said:
Your an intel freak aren't you? Athlon chips (k7 / k8) are not about clock speeds. They are about doing more for every clock. For example, if have an fx55 at 2.6 doing 78billion instructions per-clock versus a Xeon at 3ghz doing only 31billion instructions per-clock, the difference will be very extreme, would it not? Speed is not always about the clock on your cpu.

Now thats the ticket! Give that man a kewpie doll! :D

ZMTToxics said:

So Right you are!! thats whay AMD Rocks!!!

James Earl Ray said:
Sure, no problem. Just PM me when you have any questions. :D Oh I got a new gig of the Gskill and at the same speeds as the OCZ I get much better bandwidth. So you never know what you are gonna get.

Thanks ! should be right around the next 30days or so I have it up and runnin

James Earl Ray said:

how do you like the gskill, i am not enjoying mine, they top out at 265, anything else is errors everywhere. i am thinking of rmaing them.

fx @ 3.0 ghz.....luck has a lot to do with it, and good cooling, i am on water cooling and i am almost there 2960 or so, but i havent been able to get it to 3 ghz stable, so i wouldnt say its warranty, its plenty fast at this speed.

ZMTToxics said:
I know the differences between the processors, thankyouverymuch.

centvalny said:
gskill 1GBLE and rock stable at 287and 3.3Ghz with phase changer.
thats what i got, they just refuse to cooperate.:) i guess i will have to rma them.
what settings on the memory?

This isnt as high as they go. Its just what I run them at 24/7. Much better than the OCZ 4200 at the same FSB. I run it at 2.7.

Gskill-277.JPG

rolo said:
you do know that AMD 2.2 GHz (aka 3500+) beats out intels 3.6EE in alot of things dont you??? when you compair intel and amd GHz dont mean crap.

Back