fx-55 overclocking

jamestime88

[H]ard|Gawd
i dont know if this has been posted before, so sorry if it has. i did a search and i didnt find anything.

but anyways, i really wanna see some fx55 overclocking results. i wonder how much the strained silicon helps. when/where are there gonna be overclocking reviews if there are none out yet.

I would have thought 2.8GHz would be reasonably easily attainable with the FX 55, the other FX chips were usually able to easily OC an extra speed grade. This is of course just speculation, but with good cooling I think it should be possible,

ummm its a stock 2.6 right? 3.0ghz should be easy.. and now amd matches up with intel a 3.0ghz vs a 3.0ghz ;) i would love to see some benchies

I wouldn't really assume anything, AMD has had a lot of trouble getting the Athlon64s to 2.6 GHz, which is why a 2.6 GHz chip only came out recently. I would be tempted to doubt the "easy" overclockability of an FX55. I would say safe money on 10%... but anything more... well, thats just my opinion. I could be wrong.

2.9 stable with vapochill ls and XMS3500C2....... 3Ghz is attainable w/ multiplier up and Samsung TCCD memory(Patriot 3200XBL/PQI turbo3200 or GSKILL 3200 all runs 2,2,2,5)

centvalny said:
2.9 stable with vapochill ls and XMS3500C2....... 3Ghz is attainable w/ multiplier up and Samsung TCCD memory(Patriot 3200XBL/PQI turbo3200 or GSKILL 3200 all runs 2,2,2,5)
you have an engineering sample though, don't you?

hmm, i wonder what that would do the the oc-ability of the chip. i would have to assume it's about average, considering you're getting it to 3ghz with phase change

(cf)Eclipse said:
hmm, i wonder what that would do the the oc-ability of the chip. i would have to assume it's about average, considering you're getting it to 3ghz with phase change
3 Ghz not 24/7 stable though(w/ xms3500c2/bh5). I will try to get those Samsung TCCD memory. Epox 939 doesn't help either(1.7V max Vcore). 1.75 and 1.8V disabled in bios, tried to find moded bios.

I thought about it, but still kinda nervous w/ fx55 vcore more than 1.7V. b/c it is still 0.13mcrn.

because it's .13 should be more reason to kick it up. i've run my 3200+ at 1.8 for a while, and it seems fine, and i'm on air cooling. normally smaller processes make dies more sensitive to voltage, not larger. :D
and if you think about it. barton cores have been routinely run at 2v or more, and they have a stock voltage just .15v higher than the a64

Here is my FX-55 screen shots. Its an OEM from Monarch and I have gotten it to 2.80 so far, thats a 200mhz OC. It was aneasy OC too. It feels like there is more left in it. BTW, this is on air XP-90 w/92mm Tornado on Reho.
MSI Neo2 K8N Plat
OEM FX-55
1 gig Gskill pc4400
Yes folks, thats 280fsb on air! (280x10)

280fsbGskill.jpg

I've just bough one and I'm waiting on a pcie mobo before I can do any damage.

I've never been a huge oc'er, but I'd like to bump this one up some.

I'll be air cooling w/a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu in a Thermaltake Tsunami case (2x120mm, 1x80mm fans), ! Gb OCZ Plat Rev 2 DDR, and an Enermax 600W psu.

What do you guys think? How high should I be able to go (safely)?

Back