FX-55 to 4800+ ?

neubspeed

Gawd
Okay, one week before school, have some extra cash left, I feel like jumping on the dual-core bandwagon but not sure if it's worth it. The most I do is leave Battlefield 2 open and do my homework in Word/Excel/Access that type of junk, but I also do a lot of bittorrents and DVD encoding while I work. I'm not unsatisfied with my FX performance but my friend got an X2 3800+ and it just feels smoother than my comp (naturally I was pissed because he spent 1/4th of what I did on the CPU). I should note thay my FX-55 clawhammer is f-ing hot and it barely gives me any OC headroom without any extreme cooling, so I was wondering if the X2 Toledo is much cooler or not?

Also, is there a higher clocked X2 coming out soon, I don't like the idea of going from 2.6 to 2.4ghz as an "upgrade"? And finally, is it worth it for me to buy another 939 cpu or should I wait for the M2 and plunge?

Thanks for any feedback, it's greatly appreciated.

EDIT: As for the "multitasking", I use photoshop and 3DS a lot for my job, but I also do my homework/play games while I work lol.

I think a X2 CPU would also run hot...as it is really two CPU cores on one "die"

I too am looking into the performance 'boost' offered by the dual core

in my case I am looking at a 4000+ ClawHammer -vs- a 4400+ Toledo Dual Core

I would overclock....so the 'Hammer could be running in the 3.0GHz range...were the Toledo could only run about 2.7GHz at the most

...so, would that added 'boost' from the multi core design make up the 300MHz speed difference and surpass it by the $160 more it cost?

would this whole dual core performance advantage be much like the 'boost' you get with using dual channel memory mode or a larger L2 cache?...as altho those things do add to the performance...they really don't add as much as a higher CPU speed does

and with socket M2...you would still need to wait almost 10 months...and even then it may still be to early to buy...until the new socket has time to "sort itself out" and the prices to fall, you could very well find yourself in the same boat as the people who bought 939 to early, right before the nForce4 with PCI-E came out

Right now its an evaluation of your needs that you need to do.

you wouldnt buy a Corvette to do the job of a Pickup and visa-versa.

you really need to evalute what you need your rig to do.

I do bittorrent, video editing and play CSS and never have any issues. My CSS is very palyable and still better then 100fps. I run a FX55 oced to 3.0ghz. not really any bad heat issues. It does just fine for what I want. Gaming and benching and the likes.

There is not enough (really anything at all) that truely takes advantage of dual core processing (YET).it may give you a smoother feel to you daily stuff but, thats a lot to spend for something so insignificant. It will be a lil while before dual proc encoded apps and games become the norm. But as they say build it and they will come. so you have to have the hardware before the software. Its possible that by the time large amounts of support in the software rolls around we will have quad core CPU's.

Right now the FX55 and FX57 are the king of the hill for Gaming and in most apps as well as benchmarks. (maybe no as fast for running serveal apps at the same time but really?)

MOST guys that game and bench really really try to slim down any and everything thats running any ways trying to get every last lil bit of ump they can.

As far as temps you will find that the X2 runs at the equivilent temps as a 130nm FX55.

But thats my take anyhow

The X2's do run noticably hotter than a regular Venice...probably about 5C hotter I'd say on average with the same cooling (mine is an XP-90). Just a guess though because I also switched mobos and who knows how accurate these temp probes are.

neubspeed said:
I should note thay my FX-55 clawhammer is f-ing hot and it barely gives me any OC headroom without any extreme cooling, so I was wondering if the X2 Toledo is much cooler or not?
they're technically about the same.

one option.. buy the X2 and send me the FX to play with? :D:D
second option, keep what you have. what you described would be a total waste of an X2

neubspeed said:
Okay, one week before school, have some extra cash left, I feel like jumping on the dual-core bandwagon but not sure if it's worth it. The most I do is leave Battlefield 2 open and do my homework in Word/Excel/Access that type of junk, but I also do a lot of bittorrents and DVD encoding while I work. I'm not unsatisfied with my FX performance but my friend got an X2 3800+ and it just feels smoother than my comp (naturally I was pissed because he spent 1/4th of what I did on the CPU). I should note thay my FX-55 clawhammer is f-ing hot and it barely gives me any OC headroom without any extreme cooling, so I was wondering if the X2 Toledo is much cooler or not?

Also, is there a higher clocked X2 coming out soon, I don't like the idea of going from 2.6 to 2.4ghz as an "upgrade"? And finally, is it worth it for me to buy another 939 cpu or should I wait for the M2 and plunge?

Thanks for any feedback, it's greatly appreciated.

EDIT: As for the "multitasking", I use photoshop and 3DS a lot for my job, but I also do my homework/play games while I work lol.
You are just jealous that his e-penis got bigger than yours :) haha. JK. You could sell the FX decently and go grab that processor or the 4400+x2 w/ 1MB cache each core. That'd put him in his place.

Back