FX8120 or 1090T?

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
I have and have had a ASRock 990FX board for the past 2 months or so. I have a Phenom II X4 945 in it overclocked to 3.75GHz and seems to be running well.

I switched that processor out of a MSI 790x board with 8GB of DDR2 that has been sitting in the closet ever since I bought the 990FX board with 16GB of DDR3 ram. The question is: is it worth getting a 1090T or FX8120 and putting that 945 back in the other board for a separate build?

I will not be purchasing a new intel cpu/board since I cannot afford that right now. What do you guys think? Oh, and I do game some, surf the web and watch hulu and movies ripped to the harddrive.

If you want a CPU, bulldozer while very underwhelming may work for you. If I were you I would wait as the prices are bound to come down. There is no way AMD is going to sell many bulldozers with the way they are.

wait... ++ launch price seems unlikely to be sustainable based on the preformance vs competion.

chill w/ the x4 for now... save your monies... for now.

Sounds like you have an X4 at a solid speed running nicely.

Stick with that.

Ok, that you all for the advice, I am going to stick to the X4 for now. :D Hopefully, bulldozer power consumption will be reduced as Global Foundries get the process down. I guess we will see.

Meh if it were me I would get an 8120.. Not enough of an upgrade on its own, but if you sell the 945 with board & ram you should be able to get 150-200 for it so your real out of pocket would be 20-70.

Last month i bought the 1090t for 155 euros. Now the same shop has put it at 185 euros. The 8120 is at 216 euros.
Either people are rushing to buy 1090t or AMD has increased prices of the Thubans in order to promote the Bulldozer.

the thuban prices have gone up because they are out of production. i believe this is the last month distributors can order them from amd. last reports (pre bulldozer launch) was that supply at best would last less than two months. demand has gone up so that's shorter now.

amd will sell tons of bulldozers because of all the phenoms and athlons are out of production. just old stock now really. you can buy fx's, a6's,a8's and e series only now.

the thuban prices have gone up because they are out of production. i believe this is the last month distributors can order them from amd. last reports (pre bulldozer launch) was that supply at best would last less than two months. demand has gone up so that's shorter now.

amd will sell tons of bulldozers because of all the phenoms and athlons are out of production. just old stock now really. you can buy fx's, a6's,a8's and e series only now.

I see. I didn't know that. I thought the Thubans would live for a while longer... Glad i bought it last month then. Although i probably got one of the worst chips in undervolting...

well seeing as i can't get a 8120 .. i've gone for the 1090 no stock till end of oct and i've waited far to long now ...
next cpu wil be ?? pile of s**te or blessed driver .. who's to know till then

I'd go 1090T/1100T or wait for the next stepping/refresh of Bulldozer to see if they can resolve some of the issues.

I would go 1090t it can do what an 1100t can and is less. I would stay away from BD and the power whore that it is.

Agree 1090T or sit it out and wait for AMD tweaks which probably won't happen soon
It's dumb to have stopped production of some of the range esp the Athlon II's which were good value FM1 isn't as cheap board wise and the processors are not as well priced as they might be.

I'm stuck with this decision right now. I just bought an AM3+ motherboard but was going to hold out until the FX8100 was released but with the 1035T being $125, I might get a Thuban. *going to put the x3 740BE and FX-5000..lol.. on eBay*

I'm stuck with this decision right now. I just bought an AM3+ motherboard but was going to hold out until the FX8100 was released but with the 1035T being $125, I might get a Thuban. *going to put the x3 740BE and FX-5000..lol.. on eBay*

Many of us are in the same situation.
The only logical upgrade path for most quad core AMD users is either the 8 core FX or the 6 core 1090T. Frankly I don't feel the performance of the FX 8120 is up to par or the price realistic/appealing even slightly. The 6 core struggles v the 1090T making that a poor buy also, and the 4 core FX is just a joke peformance wise.

On the other hand AM3+ will be around for a few years if you are ok with what you have the "wait and hope" strategy might work. I doubt piledrive will be much better either

Well, in Italy it seems that the big majority of people that were waiting for BD to upgrade, after seeing the benchmarks and the new "game bug" (Shogun 2 crash being the most usual), are falling back to Thubans, with the 1055T and the 1090T being the primary targets.

I got the Gigabyte 990FXa-ud3 board and 1100T ($140 off of ebay brand new) and its working great. If piledriver turns out the be a good bit better, I will just swap CPUs and be happy but if not, I will stick with this and look into upgrading to Intel in the future.

I have an Asus Sabertooth in RMA right now and after reading all I did I got my hands on an 1100T... I'm not buying a "module" processor until at least piledriver. I can't use a processor that has less IPC then my current 965. That's just silly.

If you don't have special needs like PS2 emulation -- which SSSE3 is a MUST -- then the 1090T hands down, which will probably be cheaper if you wait a few weeks.

I would've gotten a 1090T over the i7-2600k I bought in June had 1090T had SSSE3, would've saved me quite a bit.

I should have responded to this thread that I made a few weeks ago. Oh well, I went with the 1090t. Maybe the problems with the fx8120 will eventually be fixed, I sure hope so.

Cant go wrong with the 1090. Should overclock well on that motherboard and its got plenty of processing muscle. I really like mine and its a very good gaming proc. Just wish I had a better motherboard so I could get a better overclock out of it.

Back