FYI--SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB --$79.99 with FS@Newegg

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2245&cm_re=samsung_2tb-_-22-152-245-_-Product

For those of you that have a storage fetish such as myself...
2011-01-21%2011.54.33%20(Custom)%20(Custom).jpg

Limit is 5, as usual.

Bah. I have such problems with these sales. Do I buy another 5? By the time I need another 5 they will be $59.99 all day long....

Bah. I have such problems with these sales. Do I buy another 5? By the time I need another 5 they will be $59.99 all day long....

I totally missed on that, I heard it was a mistake.

How do these compare to the WD 2TB Black drives? Once I get an SSD, I'll need a drive for games/apps.

did you flash the firmware like suggested? asking because I received mine and forgot... now one of them is almost filled and I'm not sure if you can flash firmware with tons of data on the drive already? anyone with insight on these?

How do these compare to the WD 2TB Black drives? Once I get an SSD, I'll need a drive for games/apps.

Why would you buy an SSD just to run games and apps from a platter drive? Games and apps are THE reason for an SSD.

I totally missed on that, I heard it was a mistake.

I didn't, and I still haven't even used 'em... (waiting to see if Samsung releases another firmware...)

Nice thing is, by the time I do, they'll still either cost more and be right around the same price, so I didn't waste any dough...

did you flash the firmware like suggested? asking because I received mine and forgot... now one of them is almost filled and I'm not sure if you can flash firmware with tons of data on the drive already? anyone with insight on these?

People have said that they successfully flashed the firmware without any loss of data. Don't think I've seen anyone mention actually losing anything, but obviously with something like that ymmv.

I didn't, and I still haven't even used 'em... (waiting to see if Samsung releases another firmware...)

Nice thing is, by the time I do, they'll still either cost more and be right around the same price, so I didn't waste any dough...

There is another firmware out other than what they shipped with. I flashed my drives and they have no issues. They are pounded daily.

How many did you buy? Perhaps for a small mark-up, I might be interested:D

When you flash your bios, do you lose windows?

People have said that they successfully flashed the firmware without any loss of data. Don't think I've seen anyone mention actually losing anything, but obviously with something like that ymmv.

I flashed both of mine, no data loss at all.

OMG WTF!? I just ordered 2 yesterday! Also how exactly do You flash a HHD bios?

Usually boot to a CD or something, or if they provided an application in windows. Probably shouldn't be using the drive when you flash it though. Which is where the boot from CD thing comes from.

There's a thread on it. Has to be done with a bootable flash drive. I did all 5 at once with data on them no problem.

Why would you buy an SSD just to run games and apps from a platter drive? Games and apps are THE reason for an SSD.

You're right. I meant everything else (videos, photos, programs) that won't fit on the SSD. I'll probably get the 300GB version so it should be enough for most things including the OS.

Hmm, will be picking up another to mirror with the one I already have :) God I love this drive.

Games benefit very little when put on an SSD drive compared to a fast platter drive with the OS on an SSD

Does the utility run multiple drives at the same time?

Yeah. It runs through all the drives and updates the F4's. You can leave any other drives installed, it will pass over them. After I spent the 10-15 minutes to make the bootable USB, it took under a minute to flash all 5.

Yeah. It runs through all the drives and updates the F4's. You can leave any other drives installed, it will pass over them. After I spent the 10-15 minutes to make the bootable USB, it took under a minute to flash all 5.

Nice. i ran them through an old server with a boot disk and did them 1 by 1. Had I known that...

Ah well, it goes really quick!

Games benefit very little when put on an SSD drive compared to a fast platter drive with the OS on an SSD

Well, it's about time I get an SSD anyway. I've been holding off for the G3 drives.

There is another firmware out other than what they shipped with. I flashed my drives and they have no issues. They are pounded daily.

How many did you buy? Perhaps for a small mark-up, I might be interested:D

I'm waiting to see if they release a firmware with a different version #, so it removes all doubt about what drives haven't been updated. I actually have seven sitting around unused so far. They might be moved around between machines at some point, so I'd like to not be wondering and re-flashing drives.

I have thought about just selling them, but I even already bought a Norco 4020. Then again, the Norco was also during a great sale, and I could sale it and not lose a dime, either. Got my eyeballs on a SB build possibly... They OC so well!

Usually boot to a CD or something, or if they provided an application in windows. Probably shouldn't be using the drive when you flash it though. Which is where the boot from CD thing comes from.

You know, I made this mistake on a $1,000 RAID controller once. (Controller was in use when trying to flash it since I had booted from it.) Insta-dead $1,000 RAID controller. Once you make that mistake personally yourself, you never allow yourself to make that mistake again!

I'm waiting to see if they release a firmware with a different version #, so it removes all doubt about what drives haven't been updated. I actually have seven sitting around unused so far. They might be moved around between machines at some point, so I'd like to not be wondering and re-flashing drives.

I have 11, 10 in a freebsd raidz2, in a Norco case, one as a cold spare. I marked a U(for updated) with a permanent marker, on the upper left hand corner of each one's label, as I flashed it. A nice, simple, low tech solution.

I have thought about just selling them, but I even already bought a Norco 4020. Then again, the Norco was also during a great sale, and I could sale it and not lose a dime, either. Got my eyeballs on a SB build possibly... They OC so well!

I got a norco 2440 I'd putting mine in. I can hold 6 more so let me know if you change your mind on selling them:)

Just a heads up if you buy 2 of these on chiefvalue.com you get another $10 off. I just bought two and the total came to $149.98 with free 3 day shipping. Off to sell my 1TB drives on eBay...

I think I'm going to wait until my 1TB's fill up.. I still got ~ 1.5TB of space left out of an 8TB Raid5.

Plus my controller is really slow (like a couple days to add a single 1TB drive to a RAID5) to expand RAID's, but it has 16 ports... so I'll be trying to pull the data off, and then build a larger array second time around with some hot spares... and cheap 2TB drives.

Not getting the $149.98 on chiefvalue.com

edit: Got it using coupon code: CPTNKLCTR05

Last edited:
Have 12 empty bays in the Norco 4020 and will fill with 1TBs before moving to 2TB...

Tempting though...

Back