G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 Review

JBavousett

Gawd
Ok, I just got the ram and I'm running tests on it now. I'm going to continually update this post over the next hour or so as I try different clock speeds, and I'll include Sisoft Sandra and Super PI results at different memory speeds and timings, as well as a graph when I'm done. This ram should work nicely...and should overclock well once I loosen the timings.

Well, so far I'm not impressed. I was unable to get anything above 900Mhz to post without going looser than 5-5-5-15. I got numberous crashed with the CPU in the 3.2-3.4Ghz range, but am finally running stable at 3.5Ghz with the ram at 875@4-4-4-12. My motherboard is not so good at benchmarking, there are too few timing options between the FSB and the Ram. I'm going to just see how tight I can get the timings and different speeds and how fast with the loose stuff at this point.

Huh? You just got what ram? You know GSKILL has like 10 different kits of 2gb DDR2 PC2-6400 memory right?

How bout a model #? :) As it stands, any info would mean nothing. Is this HZ(micron d9 stuff) or what.

It's this kit -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

It is d9, but it's pulled from the 667Mhz bin, and aparently they squeezed all the performance out of it already. I keep crashing at any setting above 875Mhz. So this is not good sub $200 ram for overclockers. It's a shame, the Mushkin 667 ram I replaced with this kit performs just as well. I was really hoping to hit PC2-7200 speeds.

Rig Specs:

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
Core 2 Duo E6700
Nvidia 8800GTS (640mb)
Corsair 620w PSU
Western Digital 250GB SATA2
XP Pro SP2

Memory tests:

Stock speeds (800Mhz@4-4-4-12) 266Mhz FSB

Bandwidth INT 5539mb/s
Floating 5552mb/s

Cache/Memory 23556mb/s

OC speeds (875@4-4-4-12) 350Mhz FSB

Bandwidth INT 6493mb/s
Floating 6497mb/s

Cache/Memory 28047mb/s

Hum...That is gskill hz's Sure you know what youre doing, cause that is like the lowest clock speed ive seen for micron d9 hz's. That stuff usually does like upwards of 1066mhz or more

Hum...That is gskill hz's Sure you know what youre doing, cause that is like the lowest clock speed ive seen for micron d9 hz's. That stuff usually does like upwards of 1066mhz or more

It sure does, I recently got mine to DDR2 1080 with 2.2vDimm at 5-5-5-15 timings. People over at xtreme systems have gotten these stick up to 1200.

I may have bad ram then, because I've upped the voltage across the board, and anything above 875 just kills it. Once I get my old ram back from RMA I'll RMA these and see if the new set runs better.

I may have bad ram then, because I've upped the voltage across the board, and anything above 875 just kills it. Once I get my old ram back from RMA I'll RMA these and see if the new set runs better.

Did the HZ set you have now come with the new black 8 layer pcb ?

What do you mean by 'kill' with a setting above 875? PC won't boot? Won't past memtest? Crashes in windows?

If I had to guess its your mobo that isnt enabling it any higher. Cause Gskill hz's with micron d9 chips should be able to easily do over 1000mhz. Something youre either doing wrong or....I dont know. Theres no way they are micron d9 chips tho if you cant pass 870mhz lol.

Maybe mobo or bios setting?

Well something has to be off cause those surely aren't promos chips. How much vDimm are you using ?

It has to be something else cos I dont even think there are rams out there, D9's or not ( pc5300 or higher ) that cant hit ddr 875

It is d9, but it's pulled from the 667Mhz bin, and aparently they squeezed all the performance out of it already. . It's a shame, the Mushkin 667 ram I replaced with this kit performs just as well. I was really hoping to hit PC2-7200 speeds.
they dont bin D9s to know which goes to ddr533 or ddr800, It will be hard to find d9' that cant do ddr800 but do ddr533.....If the Mushkin you had got the same overclock, then youre pretty much sure its not the rams thats limiting you at ddr875.....

My set of these GSkills has problems going over 940 mhz apparently. I can do 890 mhz with 4-4-4-8 and Im running it at 754 mhz at 3-3-3-8 though a higher mhz will be nice. Any clue whether it is the sticks or the mobo thats holding it back? I have a Asus P5W. Both RAM and mobo was bought at the end of August last year.

My set of these GSkills has problems going over 940 mhz apparently. I can do 890 mhz with 4-4-4-8 and Im running it at 754 mhz at 3-3-3-8 though a higher mhz will be nice. Any clue whether it is the sticks or the mobo thats holding it back? I have a Asus P5W. Both RAM and mobo was bought at the end of August last year.

4-4-4-8 is extremely tight timings. You arnt expecting 1000mhz with those timings are you? Usually you need to do about 5-5-5-15 with 2.3-2.5volts to get over 1000mhz. Chances are that is what you are doing wrong.

Yeah Im hoping to do 4-4-4-12 with 940mhz however windows is unstable. Iv tried 5-5-5-15 and it wont do it either (I run 3dmark05 cpu test and orthos in background to do a quick test). I ran the RAM at 2.4vdimm in both cases (highest P5W can go). Anyway I just checked my timings and its doing 3-3-3-5 fine at 754mhz. Id rather have higher mhz and looser timings but somehow these sticks just refuse to go there.

Well I sure hope its just this particular pair thats giving you problems. I was considering getting another pair soon.

I kicked the voltage up a bit higher...my board doesn't show the actual voltage, it just has +.1 +.2 +.3 +.4 +.5 and +.6 volt options. Are there any programs out there that will show Dimm voltage?

If I go into the red +.5volt setting I can get it to post at 1033Mhz@5-5-5-15, but the system crashes after a few minutes. I'm not really comfortable running at that level without an actual voltage read. I dumped it back down to [email protected] a 350Mhz FSB it's that or 875Mhz...and I was getting errors in F@H's SMP client at that speed. Not really happy with this ram. I'm thinking about returning it.

Dont give up, just get another set.

Gskill.jpg

^^^Confirmation that I need a new mobo too. Is 350 the highest you've taken that 680i chipset? I have nice cool temps at 350, and would love a board with more headroom.

Awww hell. I'm in. You have a link to that board on the egg? :)

Crap...now I gotta rip the rear bracket for my water block off of my board. I never should have taken the cover of the sticky junk on that thing.

Nice. Got paid today...once the check clears...Oh yeah. I guess this Gigabyte will make a nice little headless boxen for foldin once I grab a quad to replace this c2d. :cool:

Yup, and thanks to the new rev, you'll be able to hit 500fsb on any quad. Man, now you me wanting a quad core. I wonder if anyone is interested in a e6700 :D .

I'm running memtest on them now...I keep getting failed WU's in Folding at home. I think it's the ram, I had no issues before. I dumped the clocks down to stock...if it passes, I'll try with the system ramped up. It's kinda ticking me off.

I just received the HZ's from newegg.. are these D9s? Is there anyway to check with out removing the heat spreader / warranty sticker ?

Huh. Well, I ripped the OC off of my rig, and have it running full stock...[supress shudder]...and it's running fine. Ram is at 800Mhz at 4-4-4-12 and it's fine. If I kick it up above 900Mhz, even at 5-5-5-15 with 2.4v it crashes. It will either blue screen me during boot or crater a few minutes after windoze loads. I ran Memtest and got no errors reported, but these chips should be more stable. When my Mushkin RMA get's in I'm gonna RMA these.

On memtest, should the test bars at the top be at 100% when it's done? They were around 40% and 60% when the testing stopped and it reported no errors...maybe that was an error in itself?

This is the best memory going you show no screenshots or no proof of anything you say.
This is by far the best mem I have ever used!!!

This is my Daily clock running my P5W DH with my 6600Conroe and G.Skill 6400HZ

pi32.jpg

Show me all the other memory sticks out there that will run these timings and are stable

you can really push this memory!! And will just take it. This next pic is with voltage at 2.25
piytre1.jpg

Now this mem with timings loosened to where most others run at 400 or less.
pi90.jpg

So you are one of the unlucky ones that can't get to 400 or can just barely get there so you would like to get more out of your mem then by all means!!!
tttt.jpg

In case you need verification to a higher degree!!
cpuzfun.jpg

Sandra Bandwidth at daily clock of 425 with G.Skill memory.
sandy1.jpg

I will post any kinda proof you want These pics are with 3 different sets but, they are all the same!!! G.Skill has fast RMA service and their product is second to none.
Learn to OC

the sticks in place
e.jpg

But run them with a fan on them for real fun and excitement.
jas.jpg

This cpu mem combination makes so much horsepower that it forced my single 7900GT to a score of
aqmk3dz.jpg

on Aquamark
And a single card score of
o1se.jpg

on 3D2001SE
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=9133765

Great Damn Memory!! You just can't achieve these tight timings consistantly with anything else!!!
They are D9's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WZ

^^^

Mod's, please delete this guy's post. This isn't a thread for rude people to toss insults.

Back