G-sync enabled... what setting in game?

breadman

Gawd
So I just put a g-sync module in my asus monitor... enabled g-sync through the nvidia control panel, but my question is... what setting do I put in games? Obviously games don't have g-sync options... so do I leave v-sync on or off?

Waiting on one to be released that is compatible with my VG278HE...

Totally worth every penny. I went in to BF4 and cranked the resolution scale to 200%. Wow.. just wow. No slow down, no tearing. Usually I couldn't go above 125% with ultra everything before getting a frame rate hit which equated to some tearing/stutter. That is gone now and the game looks incredible.

Totally worth every penny. I went in to BF4 and cranked the resolution scale to 200%. Wow.. just wow. No slow down, no tearing. Usually I couldn't go above 125% with ultra everything before getting a frame rate hit which equated to some tearing/stutter. That is gone now and the game looks incredible.

Does doing that take away from the smoothness of having a 120Hz display?

Its still a 144 hz display. The much lower framerate he gets by cranking the settings negates the benefits of that refresh itself though.

What Hz are you running in game? I'm still getting stuttering/tearing with 200% scale with no vsync on.

I had been running lightboost, so I was already smooth at 120hz/144hz.

The game itself is WAY smoother now since the refresh rate essentially matches the frame rate.

What Hz are you running in game? I'm still getting stuttering/tearing with 200% scale with no vsync on.

From the desktop, I put it at 144hz. In game, I set it to 144hz with v-sync off. You know it's working because the frame rate will not go higher than 144.

It's exceptionally smooth. I mean, it's soo fluid, I feel like it's almost broken. I've never gamed like this before, or at least since I switched from my FW900.

From the desktop, I put it at 144hz. In game, I set it to 144hz with v-sync off. You know it's working because the frame rate will not go higher than 144.

It's exceptionally smooth. I mean, it's soo fluid, I feel like it's almost broken. I've never gamed like this before, or at least since I switched from my FW900.

I think G Sync is broken for me. If I set it to 200% scale frames around around 55-75 but there is lots of stuttering like g sync isn't working at all. enabled in the nvidia control panel and it says its in gsync mode when I launch a game on the monitor screen.

I'm not seeing a difference between when my monitor didn't have Gsync installed.

Its still a 144 hz display. The much lower framerate he gets by cranking the settings negates the benefits of that refresh itself though.

You don't really notice that it's not refreshing at 144 when it dips in explosions to 80-90. G-sync helps negate any stuttering or tearing that would ordinarily be realized in similar situations without g-sync being enabled.

You really have to see it to believe it.

This video is about as close as you can get without actually seeing the real thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAzRHVXaaV0

You don't really notice that it's not refreshing at 144 when it dips in explosions to 80-90. G-sync helps negate any stuttering or tearing that would ordinarily be realized in similar situations without g-sync being enabled.

You really have to see it to believe it.

This video is about as close as you can get without actually seeing the real thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAzRHVXaaV0
Yes I am familiar with with it. I was just saying that 144 fps is normally the goal for most games on a 144hz screen. I would reduce some settings to get as close to that as possible for best image. But of course with Gsync at least you dont have to worry about tearing with vsync off or that hitching with it on when you are below 144. I used a VG248QE myself for a little while but honestly found it to be a horrible looking monitor so I returned it.

Yes I am familiar with with it. I was just saying that 144 fps is normally the goal for most games on a 144hz screen. I would reduce some settings to get as close to that as possible for best image. But of course with Gsync at least you dont have to worry about tearing with vsync off or that hitching with it on when you are below 144. I used a VG248QE myself for a little while but honestly found it to be a horrible looking monitor so I returned it.

You're right. 144 is the goal. But, with g-sync, that doesn't matter anymore.

You're right. 144 is the goal. But, with g-sync, that doesn't matter anymore.
It doesnt matter as for as stuttering and tearing goes but the image itself will look better moving at 144 fps. Of course thats is not possible in most games anyway as even with enough gpu power, the cpu will limit you or the game is just poorly optimized. An easy game to run at 144hz is Dead Space 3 and that is just so smooth looking that it makes you wish it was possible in all games.

I might give that upcoming Asus g-sync 27inch 2560x1440 120hz monitor a shot this summer.

It doesnt matter as for as stuttering and tearing goes but the image itself will look better moving at 144 fps.

Trust me. With g-sync on at 144 it looks great. With g-sync on at 100 it looks great. With g-sync on at 60 it looks great. No difference between them all. Trust me. I used to have a FW900 and was a refresh/framerate whore. G-sync is where it's at.

I might give that upcoming Asus g-sync 27inch 2560x1440 120hz monitor a shot this summer.

Rumour mill has it at 144hz now! {http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2139708}

I think g sync is broken with SLI for now which sucks but the good thing is that I don't have PWM flicker anymore and that alone makes the upgrade worth it. I'm extremely sensitive to it.

I'm on the new beta drivers. Thought they would help but it no made no difference for SLI. A single 780 @ 200% scale everything on ultra @ 1080p felt smoother than SLI 780's with the same settings even though the frame rate was much higher.

On a single 780 with the above settings on the test range I was around 35fps on average. much slower frame rate but overall smoother than SLI 780's with frame rate in the 70's. Very odd.

I'm not the true definition of SLI, but the 690 seems to have no issues with g-sync and the newer driver. That single 780 at 200% being smoother than SLI goes to show how awesome and powerful g-sync is. It's like you also get a free performance upgrade for your PC.

Yeah it definitely works with a single 780 really well. I can essentially run the same in game settings that I was using with SLI but with one card and not really notice a huge difference between the 2.

Has anyone tested with games like StarCraft, Skyrim (modded or unmodded), Rome 2, etc. Excited to get mine courtesy of breadman... :)

Did some more testing. Seems that you should cap the framerate a little below whatever Hz you have your monitor running at. For example I have mine set @ 144Hz so for BF4 I set the frame cap to 140FPS. Haven't noticed too much of a difference. Then again I have SLI 780's and the game always runs around 130FPS for the most part or higher.

Back