G31M-E2SL and E5200 confusion

I just got everything set up and my bios says my cpu is running at 200x7 for 1.4Ghz speed. In windows I get this
windows.bmp

If i check the motherboards easy tuner I get this which makes NO sense

before.bmp

that doesn't even add up right. So if i move the FSB down and then back up it recalculates I guess ... because I get this:

after.bmp

Totally confused. What is the multiplier supposed to be? Any ideas what is going on here?

your multi is supposed to be at 12.5 if im correct (12.5 x 200 = 2500mhz).

im guessing that speedstep is kicking in here, speedstep lowers the multi temporarily when not in use to lower power usage and keep things cool, all the intel cpus have this now and it is totally normal and not effecting your performance.

grab cpu-z from cpuid.com and look at the multi (try opening some apps and get the cpu to work a little), if it goes from 12.5 to 7.0 every once in a while it is definitely speedstep, but if it is constantly at 7.0 your mobo probably set it lower for some reason.

Many (non enthusiast) programs report CPU speed based on the factory multiplier * your current FSB. For an e5200 that's 12.5, which means that you'll see what you're seeing now even when speedstep is active. However, if you lower your multiplier for overclocking(and raise FSB) you'll also notice that these same programs report your CPU speed as being higher than it is. CPU-Z will show you what your CPU speed actually is currently, including when speedstep changes the multiplier and when you change it in bios.

That board ocs like a best. Running an e7400 at 3.6ghz @ 1.34v. Board does a good job when setting the voltages to auto as well.

That board ocs like a best. Running an e7400 at 3.6ghz @ 1.34v. Board does a good job when setting the voltages to auto as well.
That's good to know. I got ram that is rated at 1066 so i should be able to up the FSB a decent amount. I'll start upping it by 5 and running memtest at nights and see how far i get :)

And the multi was actually at 7. CPUZ said it was at 6 and then when i unzipped something or taxed the cpu at all it only went up to 7. I set it to 12.5 in the bios and it still idles at 6 but when i do something intensive it goes up to 12.5 like it should.

1066 RAM?? Any luck running that speed with your RAM, because I can't and read my manual says the board only supports max 800. :S

1066 RAM?? Any luck running that speed with your RAM, because I can't and read my manual says the board only supports max 800. :S

even though it says the board only supports ddr2 800.. it should still allow you to hit 1066 by raising the FSB on the cpu..

With Speed Step (EIST) enabled, the idle multiplier is 6 for all the Core Duos. My P45 Gigabyte MB also set the wrong default multiplier for my E5200 and I had to manually change it in the BIOS.

FWIW, With my MB & CPU I was able to set the CPU voltage to [Normal] (this is different than Auto, because it won't raise the voltage when OC'd) with a mult of x12, the FSB to 266 and a strap to run the RAM at 1066. Runs very cool and stable at 3.2GHz.

I was able to hit 3.75 with 1.35v but 4ghz needed too much voltage for air cooling.

What were your running temps, performance gain % ? games + multitasking experience difference to when you had it at stock, also what RAM and stepping E5200 were you using?

Back