G70 soon? or wait till sometime around October for R520?

Thinking about getting G70? Or waiting for R520?

• G70

Votes: 64 30.0%
  • R520

Votes: 42 19.7%
  • Both

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • None

Votes: 25 11.7%
  • Playing the waiting game...

Votes: 73 34.3%

• Total voters
Hate_Bot said:
I like how you guys are already making desicions on which cards, just on your fan boy baseness, despite the fact we have no official specs from either company :rolleyes:

While that might be true for some people on this board, I really don't think it matters, they can go with whatever card they like, no to mention that both cards are probably going to be similar in performance anyway, it just depends if you prefer red or green PCBs.

MetalStorm said:
While that might be true for some people on this board, I really don't think it matters, they can go with whatever card they like, no to mention that both cards are probably going to be similar in performance anyway, it just depends if you prefer red or green PCBs.

Ya but what if it turns out Nvidia has heat problems, or is a slower performer? Or vice versa.

Judging a buy based on fan loyalty is rediculous

Hate_Bot said:
Ya but what if it turns out Nvidia has heat problems, or is a slower performer? Or vice versa.

Judging a buy based on fan loyalty is rediculous

You are beating a dead horse. The guy said he will wait for G70 benches and if they look good he will buy one. I guess you want to say that he should wait for R520 before buying - but then we can apply your logic - what if it turns out to have heat problems, is slower or has poor availability - he would've wasted his time waiting, no?

Your argument only applies if both products are available at the time he is ready to make his purchase, which is most likely not going to happen in this case. Why do you care so much anyway - it's his money!!

I personally was happy to hear the rumors....I was about to take BB up on their offer this week of a 6800GT for $330 AR. Now, I will wait and see what the G70 has to offer before buying a new video card.

Hate_Bot said:

While I'm sure one card will be faster than the other in certain benchmarks and vice versa, the difference will be marginal - I personally have no need for an NV40 or R480 at the moment because I only play at 1024 but even so the difference at 1600 with these new cards should be pretty small - it always has been, that's what's so good about it, the competition between the companies!

If g70 does hit retail by the end of this month, I'll buy it... along with X2 cpu ;) :D

trinibwoy said:
Don't you know? They get a cut from every R520 sold!! ;)

oh ok, that makes sense, now when i read these threads, i'll understand the source that drives the post.

Dew said:
So does that mean that Intel is a dick and Matrox is a p*ssy?

uh...maybe, weird, i read that, and i realized that [from this perspective] my computer case is simply a container of bodyparts in an orgy....24/7.

Really I did not use any type of logic to come to my original conclusion. Except that both companies are not making things very easy for me trying to figure out which card to purchase for the computer i just built/ordered.

trinibwoy said:
Your argument only applies if both products are available at the time he is ready to make his purchase, which is most likely not going to happen in this case. Why do you care so much anyway - it's his money!!

not taking sides, im still not sure everyone understands exactly what the other is saying.

From what i see, yes. Technically in order to make a well informed decision between the G70 and the R520 you would need both products to be released, or at least have access to benchmark scores of a reference/engineer sample.

I think what someone up there is saying is this.

Both cards are most likely going to be within a reasonable margin of each other, where performance is concerned. So with that in mind, if the G70 is released, and it does not have any major issues, such as heat or power requirements etc. Then he could feel comfortable purchasing one, and not waiting for the R520 to come out for a comparison.

Granted if ATI drag their feet long enough, then its possible that they could develop the hardware a bit more, and by that, gain a significant advantage over nVidia. however, in the business world, usually the company that is second to market is interested in two things.

1) - Getting their competing product out to the consumer (otherwise they lose customers every day by forfeit, ie no other choice)

2) - At the least matching (in this case) the performance of the competing product.

hope that made sense

fbiguy said:
uh...maybe, weird, i read that, and i realized that [from this perspective] my computer case is simply a container of bodyparts in an orgy....24/7.

Really I did not use any type of logic to come to my original conclusion. Except that both companies are not making things very easy for me trying to figure out which card to purchase for the computer i just built/ordered.

It was a reference to TEAM AMERICA.

trinibwoy said:
You are beating a dead horse. The guy said he will wait for G70 benches and if they look good he will buy one. I guess you want to say that he should wait for R520 before buying - but then we can apply your logic - what if it turns out to have heat problems, is slower or has poor availability - he would've wasted his time waiting, no?

Well, sya both cards are unveiled at around the same time. And both cards get sent to a few review sights, and a series of benchies get created.

Lets say, one card is a fair amoiunt slower then the other/It's multi GPU doesnt work well, etc. Now lets say, the card that performs slower, is released 2 months earlier. Even though that card comes out earlier, it is still the worse card, and buying that card just because :

A) You are a fan boy of the company and

B) It is out earlier

Is rather stupid and a bad way to make purchasing desicions.

Hate_Bot said:
Well, sya both cards are unveiled at around the same time. And both cards get sent to a few review sights, and a series of benchies get created.

Lets say, one card is a fair amoiunt slower then the other/It's multi GPU doesnt work well, etc. Now lets say, the card that performs slower, is released 2 months earlier. Even though that card comes out earlier, it is still the worse card, and buying that card just because :

A) You are a fan boy of the company and

B) It is out earlier

Is rather stupid and a bad way to make purchasing desicions.

The problem with your analysis is that in your fictional future everything points to the later card being faster. Somebody can also create a fictional future with the later card being slower, more expensive or having poor availability. I personally would wait since I have no short-term need for a new system but that doesn't mean there aren't others out there who do.

If G70 turns out to be a quality product and someone is willing to build a system around it, you are saying that the only reason they would go ahead and build that system is because they are an Nvidia fan boy? You are forgetting about the inherent value in the earlier product - performance is public knowledge and it is available now. These two things hold far greater value than a promise of 5% greater performance two months into the future.

Put yourself in the position of someone with a bundle of cash itching to build a system but would like to wait for next generation video hardware. Imagine that this person does not frequent forums and get involved in bickering fanb0y pissing matches. When the G70 comes out, and if it is 2xNV40 as speculated what do you think said person would do in this case?

This is all irrelevant in this particular scenario anyway. By the time G70 hits store shelves, R520 benchmarks would have either been leaked or previews would have started coming out. So even if R520 product isn't available people will probably have a good idea of how things stand.

trinibwoy said:
The problem with your analysis is that in your fictional future everything points to the later card being faster. Somebody can also create a fictional future with the later card being slower, more expensive or having poor availability. I personally would wait since I have no short-term need for a new system but that doesn't mean there aren't others out there who do.

If G70 turns out to be a quality product and someone is willing to build a system around it, you are saying that the only reason they would go ahead and build that system is because they are an Nvidia fan boy? You are forgetting about the inherent value in the earlier product - performance is public knowledge and it is available now. These two things hold far greater value than a promise of 5% greater performance two months into the future.

Put yourself in the position of someone with a bundle of cash itching to build a system but would like to wait for next generation video hardware. Imagine that this person does not frequent forums and get involved in bickering fanb0y pissing matches. When the G70 comes out, and if it is 2xNV40 as speculated what do you think said person would do in this case?

This is all irrelevant in this particular scenario anyway. By the time G70 hits store shelves, R520 benchmarks would have either been leaked or previews would have started coming out. So even if R520 product isn't available people will probably have a good idea of how things stand.

Im talking theoretically, IF, the earlier card is faster, of course you should buy it.

Back