(G92)8800GT First review!

Nice, looking at those numbers theres going to be some mighty price drops on the 8600/8800GTSs. :)
Dropping the 8600GTS to around $120 (and the GT to $90) makes a hellova lot more sense considering their performance while also dropping the 8800GTS (320) to around $180 fills in that price range better (with the 640 around $280). IMO the 8800GTS 320 should be rebranded as a 8700 series card.

Much more like the 320 is just discontinued. The 8800 GT 256mb will fill that role for cheaper.

(winces) Apparrently I jumped in too early... the listing was pulled from the site I ordered from's distributor and I had to cancel my pre-order as it couldn't go through :(. I guess I'll be watching like a hawk for any in-stock ones along with everyone else the next week ;)!

better ebay my card quick (320mb 8800) , gotta love free upgrades...too bad I don't have a card untill then

Better hurry... beat the flood :eek: ! I sold my 640MB GTS a couple of weeks ago and bought an X1900GT that I'll sell for a small loss to tide me over between then and now.

Interesting. If the GTS is supposed to be even faster, then I'll most likely be picking up two of those without any regrets... coz these numbers are impressive.

I'm also interested to see what ATI does though. It's so nice to have competition once again.

Interesting. If the GTS is supposed to be even faster, then I'll most likely be picking up two of those without any regrets... coz these numbers are impressive.

I'm also interested to see what ATI does though. It's so nice to have competition once again.

Don't count ATI out yet... the big thing is whether they fixed their AA issues with the revisions in their 55nm iteration... if so, this is going to be a brutal battle :cool:!

50,000 supposedly coming so you should have no problem.

Where are the SLI benches showing $500 worth of cards anhilating $600 Ultra.

wow....a pic of 100% hardware....great stuff....if the numbers are true, that looks like a pretty stout card for mainstream.....

These seem to be really nice results. However, when they are touched with AA, they seem to die :(.

Anyone know what the power requirements are going to be on the new 8800GT? I know the minimum PSU for the GTS 640MB was a 400w with 26 amps on the 12v rail, the 8800GT is supposedly less power hungry than the GTS so I'm hoping to squeak by with a 350w for about a month until I can afford to replace it. :p

ok so im about to buy a used 8800gts 320or 640..until i saw this ...looks like its better and uses less power and runs cooler..correct? where can i pre-order?

These seem to be really nice results. However, when they are touched with AA, they seem to die :(.

:confused: Not sure what you mean... they still stay in-line results-wise as they should for the most part.

ok so im about to buy a used 8800gts 320or 640..until i saw this ...looks like its better and uses less power and runs cooler..correct? where can i pre-order?

Most places are pulling their pre-order listings for now, probably will have to wait until later this week to get one in. You are correct... runs faster, less power, cooler, cheaper, win-win-win-win!

So how come no one has leaked the high end yet? They won't release a card that is so close to performance with the card 2x its cost unless they have a new top end part to replace its price point.

While we're at it, where's your retraction/apology on all the claims of fakery and rumormongering?

As soon as pics of the reference card came out, the glossy sheen and the squared-off lines had everyone fronting as an NSA photoanalyst, shouting "photochop! photochop!," you louder than most. And yet, there it sits, exactly as pictured...

Not flaming you, just saying give credit where credit's due, and remember the lesson for next time...

And yes, the benches could still be faked--but they probably aren't.

On the other hand, the early benches from Asia of the 2900 were real, just not representative of the card's performance in real-world gaming. So, color me "cautiously optimistic."

you know, if these #'s are true, I'm going to be PISSED. I just spend $489 on an evga gtx gdamnit!

While we're at it, where's your retraction/apology on all the claims of fakery and rumormongering?

As soon as pics of the reference card came out, the glossy sheen and the squared-off lines had everyone fronting as an NSA photoanalyst, shouting "photochop! photochop!," you louder than most. And yet, there it sits, exactly as pictured...

Not flaming you, just saying give credit where credit's due, and remember the lesson for next time...

And yes, the benches could still be faked--but they probably aren't.

On the other hand, the early benches from Asia of the 2900 were real, just not representative of the card's performance in real-world gaming. So, color me "cautiously optimistic."

? The pictures still looked fake because they were modified in photoshop or whatever program.

They finally did what I was asking all along, put them with people or in systems, not on a white background and modified in photoshop.

I'll still wait for reviews from known sites before saying its the all mighty card of wonders, but this review at least had some substance to it.

? The pictures still looked fake because they were modified in photoshop or whatever program.

They finally did what I was asking all along, put them with people or in systems, not on a white background and modified in photoshop.

I'll still wait for reviews from known sites before saying its the all mighty card of wonders, but this review at least had some substance to it.

QFT. I want to see how it handles (8xAA, 4x is cheap)max-settings in the games listed (aka only from a few known sites). Looking good though I must say. The Crysis demo comes out before these supposedly will so I'll be able to make the perfect choice. I'll sell my current GTS for $200 shipped ;) if that's the case in the end. Then again, that's if the GTS isn't good enough at 12x10 with max-settings, otherwise I'm not spending more $.

Ouch.. I'm really sorry :(, you could have bought a retail evga 8800gtx for $509 and had the warranty and all. Ebay item = no warranty :(

it has warranty, already reg'd w/evga ;)

Now I just need to sell it =\ and buy SLI GT's

it has warranty, already reg'd w/evga ;)

Now I just need to sell it =\ and buy SLI GT's

Well you technically bought it from a 3rd party person not a retail store, so if you have to send it in with an invoice you will be up shit creek.

:confused: Not sure what you mean... they still stay in-line results-wise as they should for the most part.
Yeah I suppose you are right, but it seems the GT took a bigger hit than the GTX with AA. By the way, that boat benchmark they did was kinda lol. Every card died except the 8800GTX.

This card seems a lot like the 7900 GS. Low price, high performance part, the only downside being that the next architecture was out a few months after it came out. It wasn't a huge downside, though, as the 8-series never really replaced the 7900 GS in its price range, even if they blew it out of the water in performance.

Personally, though, I'm waiting for the next architecture before building a new system. Hopefully by March some new ones will have been out long enough for Newegg to have stopped price gouging.

This card seems a lot like the 7900 GS. Low price, high performance part, the only downside being that the next architecture was out a few months after it came out. It wasn't a huge downside, though, as the 8-series never really replaced the 7900 GS in its price range, even if they blew it out of the water in performance.

Personally, though, I'm waiting for the next architecture before building a new system. Hopefully by March some new ones will have been out long enough for Newegg to have stopped price gouging.

You sure you don't mean the 7900GTO or maybe the 7950GT? The 7900GS if I recall had the same/similar specs as the 7800GT, which was quite a ways behind the 7900GT and GTX.

I hear you--heck, maybe your approach even helped to smoke out some better evidence from leakers who felt like they had something to prove. But my point is just that "looked fake" is not the same as "were fake." Even on the box art, can you tell for sure between a lousy art design (maybe even a pasted-together mockup) and digitally created? The box could be cheesy and still be physically there. Without zooming in tight on a hi-res image with no compression artifacts, it's hard to say.

It doesn't help that product promotion shots are traditionally taken with soft reflected lighting against a neutral background, even before the digital era. It draws attention to the product, brings out its color, and puts a nice sheen on any reflective surfaces. It's also close to what you get with CG, but it's still the way they do it.

I have no problem with reasonable caution and skepticism, but a lot of the commentary was past that and into the "Definitely, obviously fake" category.

And I agree completely with waiting for the [H] review. I wouldn't want any nasty (*cough2900XT*cough*) surprises.

Yeah I suppose you are right, but it seems the GT took a bigger hit than the GTX with AA. By the way, that boat benchmark they did was kinda lol. Every card died except the 8800GTX.

Yeah, it does... the memory bandwidth starts to hurt it there, but a good overclock on that should alleviate those issues :D, and yeah, the boat benchmark was pretty humorous :p!

Yeah, it does... the memory bandwidth starts to hurt it there, but a good overclock on that should alleviate those issues :D, and yeah, the boat benchmark was pretty humorous :p!
Sorry for my noobish, but if one was to reach the memory overclock they got to, would it be likely that the GTX and GT have almost the same drop in frame from AA?

I sure wish I knew when these things were supposed to hit store shelves (on e-tailer webpages...)

Ehh people with 8800GTX shouldnt feel bad.

I spent $1k on my SLI 8800GTX setup and itll still be faster than the 8800GT

Besides all you fucks calling other people idiots for buying 8800GTX should shut up..

Computer parts drop, thats how its always been...

You pay $250 for a card, 10yrs from now itll be $25. Will you be an idiot then?

PRICES will ALWAYS DROP.. 8yrs or so ago i bought packard bell 233mhz cpu, 64mb ram, for $1000++ NOw they dont even make computers that spec.

Few years ago my big screen TV was $2,500. Now with LCD out, etc, it is now $800.

Every price will drop so get off your high horse and stop calling 8800GTX owners stupid.

Besides, im still ok because my 8800GTX SLI setup will still own yout 8800GT setup..

Also, i have an infiniti g35 i bought in 2004 for $40,000. It has 280HP. Now, the 2008 version has 330HP, has bluetooth, tons of new features, and it cost the same..

Should i feel bad? NO.. this is just technology.. shit gets cheaper and cheaper so if you feel like God because you buying the 8800GT, just wait 2yrs and that card will be like $100 if even.

My friends, step-up is a great thing :D

I've got till 11/11...I wonder if the updated GTS will be out by then?

My friends, step-up is a great thing :D

The retail of the card your "stepping up" to needs to be more than what you paid. If this card is 250, no one will be stepping up to it from a GTS or GTX. The new GTS may be a possibilty though, havent seen much about that card.

The retail of the card your "stepping up" to needs to be more than what you paid. If this card is 250, no one will be stepping up to it from a GTS or GTX. The new GTS may be a possibilty though, havent seen much about that card.

Oh, I see...that's a bit of a pitiful policy. I hope that the new GTS is released alongside this card.

Will the new 8800 gts be renamed? If it gets a nice boost in performance i can see a lot of shady ebay deals going down. How many noobs are going to know the difference? I've seen worse though.

Ehh people with 8800GTX shouldnt feel bad.

I spent $1k on my SLI 8800GTX setup and itll still be faster than the 8800GT

Besides all you fucks calling other people idiots for buying 8800GTX should shut up..

Computer parts drop, thats how its always been...

You pay $250 for a card, 10yrs from now itll be $25. Will you be an idiot then?

PRICES will ALWAYS DROP.. 8yrs or so ago i bought packard bell 233mhz cpu, 64mb ram, for $1000++ NOw they dont even make computers that spec.

Few years ago my big screen TV was $2,500. Now with LCD out, etc, it is now $800.

Every price will drop so get off your high horse and stop calling 8800GTX owners stupid.

Besides, im still ok because my 8800GTX SLI setup will still own yout 8800GT setup..

Also, i have an infiniti g35 i bought in 2004 for $40,000. It has 280HP. Now, the 2008 version has 330HP, has bluetooth, tons of new features, and it cost the same..

Should i feel bad? NO.. this is just technology.. shit gets cheaper and cheaper so if you feel like God because you buying the 8800GT, just wait 2yrs and that card will be like $100 if even.

good valid points but i think the examples provided can be used against you .since it kinda sounds like you might feel bitter since you paid so much for stuff that is replaced with better stuff.

I've got a 2006 G35 Coupe, navi, sports package including 19" alloy wheels. Bought it for $45,300, the new G's look better, with better interior, cheaper for lease to buy, do I feel pissed? Nope.

Same goes with computers, prices drop, people who call people don't for buying whatever they wanted to buy, just to see it drop in price later down the road, are ignorant and jealous. But then again, majority of the people here are teens on home schooling :D

Im furious I had a 486DX4 machine that I got for $1800!!!! that was what almost 10 years ago at 4% inflation rate, i would have paid $2660 today, for that I Can get a Dual Quad Core Opteron machine or Quad Core Kentsfield with 8gb of ram, 8800GTX sli!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Back