GA-EX38-DS4 and Q9550 overclock

AndonSage

Gawd
I've searched around, but unfortunately haven't found this information. Does anyone here know how well a Q9550 will overclock on a Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4 motherboard. I'm not shooting for a fantastic overclock, but would like to hit 3.6+ GHz, which is basically 425MHz x 8.5, although I would prefer 450MHz x 8.5 = 3.825GHz. Also, should most DDR2-800MHz memory hit 900MHz, or am I better off with 1000MHz RAM? With DDR2 memory prices so low, I'm thinking of just getting 8GB RAM (4 x GB). Will that interfere with the overclock?

I can't tell you the exact numbers that you may reach, but to pull them off, you'll want either DDR2 1000 or DDR2 1066 RAM. (If you're not planning a major overclock, you could get away with DDR2 1000 RAM. Plus, it's much cheaper than DDR2 1066 RAM.)

Using all four RAM slots will stress the motherboard's MCH, and it could possibly cause stability issues, especially while overclocking. Read the FAQ for some possible workarounds, but you'll have to determine whether 8GB of RAM is worth the (potential) trouble.

I can't tell you the exact numbers that you may reach, but to pull them off, you'll want either DDR2 1000 or DDR2 1066 RAM. (If you're not planning a major overclock, you could get away with DDR2 1000 RAM. Plus, it's much cheaper than DDR2 1066 RAM.)

Thanks, I figured I'd probably want 1000MHz.

Using all four RAM slots will stress the motherboard's MCH, and it could possibly cause stability issues, especially while overclocking. Read the FAQ for some possible workarounds, but you'll have to determine whether 8GB of RAM is worth the (potential) trouble.

I'm not tech savvy enough to know why using all four RAM slots was a problem, I just knew it could be a problem. Thanks for the pointer, I'll check it out.

I haven't found any articles on overclocking the Q9550. I guess I'm just impatient, and need to wait a bit for the tech sites to get to it. I thought (well, was hoping <g>) perhaps an [H] reader would have tried.

Let me ask one more question (and a qualifier <g>)... if you could buy only one of three CPUs: Q6600, Q6700, or Q9550, and the prices were such that the Q6700 was $25 more than the Q6600, and the Q9550 was $75 more than the Q6600, which would you buy, and why? Also, would it make a difference in your choice if you had to keep the CPU for five years and couldn't upgrade?

Thanks!

I'd (personally) get the Q6600 due to its lower price and known ability to be a great overclocker (it has an approximate OC threshold of 3.6GHz with air cooling, though YMMV).

However, the 45nm Q9-series run cooler and perform more efficiently than the Q6-series processors. Their (the Q9-series') issue is that due to their (relatively) low multiplier, it's harder to overclock them without really stressing the motherboard's northbridge.

The Q9450 is a better choice than the Q9550 due to its price (though you'd probably have better luck with the Q9550's better multiplier).

I've searched around, but unfortunately haven't found this information. Does anyone here know how well a Q9550 will overclock on a Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4 motherboard. I'm not shooting for a fantastic overclock, but would like to hit 3.6+ GHz, which is basically 425MHz x 8.5, although I would prefer 450MHz x 8.5 = 3.825GHz. Also, should most DDR2-800MHz memory hit 900MHz, or am I better off with 1000MHz RAM? With DDR2 memory prices so low, I'm thinking of just getting 8GB RAM (4 x GB). Will that interfere with the overclock?

the GA-EX38-DS4 is not a true overclocking board IMO. it has a nice feature set, good stability and MFG support. however, pushing the FSB to 450 requires a ton of MCH voltage, which in turn generates a TON of northbridge heat. the cooling of the DS4 is simply innadequte, IMHO, to sustain a long-term overclock of 450mhz FSB without additional cooling on circuitry surrounding the CPU socket as well as the PWMs. also, generally the cheaper P35 and x38 boards dont have the desirable quality PWMs required for quad-core overclocking. a 3.6ghz Q6600 pushes over 100AMPS through the PWMs, and many boards simply can not handle this for very long before frying.

i have no experience with this board or overclocking a gigabyte, but i have fried an abit board (twice) with a quad core and know that these puppies require a LOT of power and generate a LOT of heat. 450mhz is a good OC for most boards, and may be too much on the northbridge of some.

i wouldnt feel comfortable pushing that much voltage through a board with that little cooling, but maybe others have had great success with this particular board and a quad.

Since you're not building until September, P45 should be out and should OC better than current P35 boards. Also, X48 boards should be much cheaper by then as well.

Just as the Q6700 had the same OC potential as the Q6600, I'm guessing the Q9550 has the same OC potential as the Q9450, so I'd save the extra cash and go with the lower model from either series. If I had a choice between the Q6600 and the Q9450 without eaglelake boards being available, I'd go for the Q6600. In other words, wait until eaglelake shows what it can achieve.

Since you're not building until September, P45 should be out and should OC better than current P35 boards. Also, X48 boards should be much cheaper by then as well.

Doesn't the P45 only support 2 x PCI-e 2.0 x8, instead of x16 like the X38? If someone would update this Intel Chipsets wiki page with the P45 chipset, it would be easier to compare.

Just as the Q6700 had the same OC potential as the Q6600, I'm guessing the Q9550 has the same OC potential as the Q9450, so I'd save the extra cash and go with the lower model from either series.

I thought the higher multiplier chip would be better for overclocking? I'm sorry, I guess I don't understanding overclocking as well as I should.

If I had a choice between the Q6600 and the Q9450 without eaglelake boards being available, I'd go for the Q6600. In other words, wait until eaglelake shows what it can achieve.

Alrighty :) I'm waiting for the next gen video cards, anyway. Since I won't have the money to upgrade my CPU (due to being on disability income), I need to get the best CPU and motherboard to O/C it at the time I buy the new computer. It just seems that the 45nm with 12M cache and improvements, would be better than the 65nm with 8M cache.

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain things. It usually only takes several hits to the head for me to figure it out :)

I thought the higher multiplier chip would be better for overclocking? I'm sorry, I guess I don't understanding overclocking as well as I should.

Yes, the higher multiplier would make it easier to OC, since it would require slightly less FSB. However, for example... the Q6700 at $550 is not worth it over a $255 Q6600, because they both have the same OC potential. While it may require more tweaking to get the Q6600 to 3.6Ghz, the price premium on the higher model with higher multiplier is just too high, IMO, to justify (its not like it comes with a guarantee).

The problem with Yorkfields on Bearlake chipsets is their lower multipliers. While Bearlakes can push high FSB speeds, its harder for them to do so with a quadcore installed. So you may be able to reach 550Mhz FSB SDR with a dual core, but with a quadcore, you'll most likely be limited to around 450Mhz FSB SDR (typically, from what I've been seeing; maybe I need to look around more?). So while the Yorkfields can actually reach 4Ghz OCs, there aren't any boards that can take them there (though I wonder, can the X48 boards push 'em there? I'll go read some more).

It just seems that the 45nm with 12M cache and improvements, would be better than the 65nm with 8M cache.

Yes, the Penryn family is better, but only by about 15% at most, IIRC.

However, for example... the Q6700 at $550 is not worth it over a $255 Q6600, because they both have the same OC potential. While it may require more tweaking to get the Q6600 to 3.6Ghz, the price premium on the higher model with higher multiplier is just too high, IMO, to justify (its not like it comes with a guarantee).

Oh, that I certainly understand :) That's one of my reasons for waiting until September (if possible), when the Q9550 is supposed to drop to the $316 price point. BTW, the Q6700 is supposed to be dropping to the Q6600 price point tomorrow, do you think that will change which chip people will prefer?

So you may be able to reach 550Mhz FSB SDR with a dual core, but with a quadcore, you'll most likely be limited to around 450Mhz FSB SDR (typically, from what I've been seeing; maybe I need to look around more?). So while the Yorkfields can actually reach 4Ghz OCs, there aren't any boards that can take them there (though I wonder, can the X48 boards push 'em there? I'll go read some more).

I'm only hoping for 450MHz on an overclock with a Q9550, which will get me 3.825GHz. I'll just have to wait and see what kind of overlclocks people are getting with the Q9550 and with which boards. I know I have a few months to wait, but I just get impatient :( It's a personal fault.

Yes, the Penryn family is better, but only by about 15% at most, IIRC.

Since I won't be able to upgrade for at least 5 years, the 15% could come in handy down the road.

BTW, the Q6700 is supposed to be dropping to the Q6600 price point tomorrow, do you think that will change which chip people will prefer?

That depends if the Q6600 drops further in price. ;)

I'm only hoping for 450MHz on an overclock with a Q9550, which will get me 3.825GHz.

The only difference between the Q9450 and the Q9550 is a half step multiplier, right? So, IMO, the higher priced chip is even less worth it over the lower, cheaper chip (assuming their OC potential is very similar), since you'll only be gaining a half step on the multiplier.

For example, if the Q9550 can reach 8.5 x 450 = 3.825Ghz, and the Q9450 can reach 8 x 450 = 3.6Ghz, will you really notice the difference of 225Mhz? Even if you could, is it enough to warrant the price premium it will likely have over the Q9450?

Of course, as you said, you need to wait and see how the Q9550 OC's, but I'm guessing it'll be the same as, or very similar to, the Q9450 -- just as all the other chips that were released prior to those two.

That depends if the Q6600 drops further in price. ;)
$266 vs. $224 according to the price cut chart, but the price cut article at cnet doesn't mention a price cut for the Q6600.

For example, if the Q9550 can reach 8.5 x 450 = 3.825Ghz, and the Q9450 can reach 8 x 450 = 3.6Ghz, will you really notice the difference of 225Mhz? Even if you could, is it enough to warrant the price premium it will likely have over the Q9450?

Not at the current prices, which is why I'm waiting for September, when the Q9550 is supposed to drop to the $316 price point. However, if I see that the overclocking isn't showing promise, then I won't need to wait for the price drop, since it wouldn't be worth it anyway.

If you're buidling it in september, then why as now? Ask in october or something!

Because I'm impatient? I thought I mentioned that...

:)

Actually, I might be getting it sooner. If the Q9450 and the Q9550 have the same o/c potential then there isn't a need to wait for the price cut on the Q9550, and I only need to wait for the new video cards coming out this summer.

Most chipsets within the same model "family" often have the same OC thresholds, so you need to find a middle ground between the price, speed, and multiplier to find the right one for you.

the GA-EX38-DS4 is not a true overclocking board IMO. it has a nice feature set, good stability and MFG support. however, pushing the FSB to 450 requires a ton of MCH voltage, which in turn generates a TON of northbridge heat. the cooling of the DS4 is simply innadequte, IMHO, to sustain a long-term overclock of 450mhz FSB without additional cooling on circuitry surrounding the CPU socket as well as the PWMs. also, generally the cheaper P35 and x38 boards dont have the desirable quality PWMs required for quad-core overclocking. a 3.6ghz Q6600 pushes over 100AMPS through the PWMs, and many boards simply can not handle this for very long before frying.

i have no experience with this board or overclocking a gigabyte, but i have fried an abit board (twice) with a quad core and know that these puppies require a LOT of power and generate a LOT of heat. 450mhz is a good OC for most boards, and may be too much on the northbridge of some.

i wouldnt feel comfortable pushing that much voltage through a board with that little cooling, but maybe others have had great success with this particular board and a quad.

You state that the EX38-DS4 isnt a good clocker and then you say you have no experience of the board.
It doesnt really qualify you to make such a statement.

I have one of the first released of this board before any reviews appeared and it reaches 525MHz stable without any voltage increase.
It doesnt get too hot and doesnt require extra cooling.
An excellent board for overclocking.

I have one of the first released of this board before any reviews appeared and it reaches 525MHz stable without any voltage increase.
It doesnt get too hot and doesnt require extra cooling.
An excellent board for overclocking.

With a quadcore on max multiplier? or a dual core?

With a quadcore on max multiplier? or a dual core?

Soz meant to add the rest.
Its with a E8400 x8 multi @ 525MHz (4.2GHz) and DDR2-1000 (1050MHz)
I was establishing that the EX38-DS4 wont be the weak link for overclocking.

The CPU is good for 4.35GHz with a x9 multi fyi.

Soz meant to add the rest.
Its with a E8400 x8 multi @ 525MHz (4.2GHz) and DDR2-1000 (1050MHz)
I was establishing that the EX38-DS4 wont be the weak link for overclocking.

Oh, yah, I agree, the X38 boards OC as good as the P35 boards do -- which are better than nForce boards, typically.

Anyhow, I doubt you could reach that high with a quadcore. Will you be trying any time soon? :D

Oh, yah, I agree, the X38 boards OC as good as the P35 boards do -- which are better than nForce boards, typically.

Anyhow, I doubt you could reach that high with a quadcore. Will you be trying any time soon? :D

Heh, I was thinking about that today but then I saw GTA IV and am now forced to buy an XBox 360 :D

Because I'm impatient? I thought I mentioned that...

:)

Actually, I might be getting it sooner. If the Q9450 and the Q9550 have the same o/c potential then there isn't a need to wait for the price cut on the Q9550, and I only need to wait for the new video cards coming out this summer.

Yes:D but bear in mind no one can see into the future well, not even the producer!

Back