GA-G33M-DS2R

How do you figure that when peole with the same motherboard, cpu etc get higher clocks?

Try a better heatsink, your cpu might be getting too hot. Even then, it's just luck of the draw. The only thing guaranteed on your e6600 is 2.4GHz, anything faster is just a bonus. There are no guarantees when it comes to overclocking.

Video onboard, EIST enabled, vcore default, 2x1 GB DDR2 800 A-DATA (value), 2.1V vdimm, oc-ed using EasyTune5.

thinking about buying this board and two msi hd2600xt( http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814127305 ) think it will do good?

Unless you're putting it in a full ATX case (so... why you'd buy mATX board again?), how is the second one's dual slot cooling going to work?

A single 8800GTS/GTX 8900/9800 or 2900XT would be much better than a 2600XT/8600GTS. I'd still take a X1950 Pro/7950GT over the new midstreams.

Video onboard, EIST enabled, vcore default, 2x1 GB DDR2 800 A-DATA (value), 2.1V vdimm, oc-ed using EasyTune5.
Your multi's at 6 because of EIST right? What's the load clock? 9x or 10x multi (3GHz or 3.4GHz?).

And that's some interesting A-DATA you got there. Running at DDR2-1132. Nice chips or D9s?

Yes, EIST is enabled, CPU load clock is 3400 MHz.
I like this A-DATA's, and they are not Vitesta :) I know A-DATA uses only A-DATA chips, or not ? :

Unless you're putting it in a full ATX case (so... why you'd buy mATX board again?), how is the second one's dual slot cooling going to work?

A single 8800GTS/GTX 8900/9800 or 2900XT would be much better than a 2600XT/8600GTS. I'd still take a X1950 Pro/7950GT over the new midstreams.
Oh i just noticed it was dual slot, and i just wanted to try out crossfire, but maybe i should just buy this mobo and another x1900gt? Until I get enough for a hd2950pro or a g92

Oh i just noticed it was dual slot, and i just wanted to try out crossfire, but maybe i should just buy this mobo and another x1900gt? Until I get enough for a hd2950pro or a g92

Don't put money into multiple mid-range cards, go for 1 really high end card, or 2 really high end cards. Anything lower than a high end card, then you should only buy one of them.

Crossfire/SLI is really only worth it when you're playing at really high resolutions and you're using high end graphics cards. Looking at your sig, you have a 19" LCD monitor, which isn't enough to justify Crossfire/SLI of anything. One 8800 or 2900 would easily conquer your 1440x900 resolution, and I'm sure a 1950 or 7900/7950 could get the job done for most games too.

Right now, if you want to upgrade the mobo it would ok to do so, although if you don't stand to gain anything from it, I'd hold off on it. As far as the graphics card, keep your current 1900 and wait until the new cards come out, see how they compare to the previous generation in terms of performance and value, then make a decision as to what you want to get.

Don't put money into multiple mid-range cards, go for 1 really high end card, or 2 really high end cards. Anything lower than a high end card, then you should only buy one of them.

Crossfire/SLI is really only worth it when you're playing at really high resolutions and you're using high end graphics cards. Looking at your sig, you have a 19" LCD monitor, which isn't enough to justify Crossfire/SLI of anything. One 8800 or 2900 would easily conquer your 1440x900 resolution, and I'm sure a 1950 or 7900/7950 could get the job done for most games too.

Right now, if you want to upgrade the mobo it would ok to do so, although if you don't stand to gain anything from it, I'd hold off on it. As far as the graphics card, keep your current 1900 and wait until the new cards come out, see how they compare to the previous generation in terms of performance and value, then make a decision as to what you want to get.
Thanks man, do you know when the new ati cards for 200-250 dollars are coming out? Or when the g92? November right?

Thanks man, do you know when the new ati cards for 200-250 dollars are coming out? Or when the g92? November right?

Lol, I have no idea. I just know that now is not the time to put money into a graphics card, unless you find a really good deal. With the G92 coming (hopefully by Christmas), it might be a better idea to hold out a few months and save your money rather than buy something now and then want to upgrade 3 months later.

Lol, I have no idea. I just know that now is not the time to put money into a graphics card, unless you find a really good deal. With the G92 coming (hopefully by Christmas), it might be a better idea to hold out a few months and save your money rather than buy something now and then want to upgrade 3 months later.
Thats very true, thats what I am going to do. If i buy a new mobo, would you wanna buy the f-i90hd from me, i will give you a deal, just put a nice price you want it at, and we will talk.

Thats very true, thats what I am going to do. If i buy a new mobo, would you wanna buy the f-i90hd from me, i will give you a deal, just put a nice price you want it at, and we will talk.

Lol what kinda deal are we talking? I'm still trying to save up for my Gigabyte board (spent all my money on textbooks:( ) but I have a bunch of spare parts lying around that I wouldn't mind using to build a comp if I can get a cheap mobo.

Lol what kinda deal are we talking? I'm still trying to save up for my Gigabyte board (spent all my money on textbooks:( ) but I have a bunch of spare parts lying around that I wouldn't mind using to build a comp if I can get a cheap mobo.
do you have any 200gb and up hard drives? or maybe just like 70-80 bucks?

hi there :)

a quick question,
what is now the best cpu to overclock 800mhz, 1066mhz or 1333mhz with this mobo(GA-G33M-DS2R)?

should i go for e4500, e6550, e6320, or Q6000?

i'm gonna use watercooling thermaltake tribe.

pls a little bit of help need to buy it tomorrow :D

hi there :)

a quick question,
what is now the best cpu to overclock 800mhz, 1066mhz or 1333mhz with this mobo(GA-G33M-DS2R)?

should i go for e4500, e6550, e6320, or Q6000?

i'm gonna use watercooling thermaltake tribe.

pls a little bit of help need to buy it tomorrow :D

For overclocking, the best choice would be a 1333 FSB CPU since you'd get the 1:1 divider on this board. I'd go for the E6750 personally. What's your budget? What are you going to use the system for?

if you got the money go for a q6600 so your future proof. is not get a e6750, and if not enough for that then get the e6550. then overclock which every one you get!

For gaming, i would go with the E6750. Quad cores don't really benefit gaming right now (not to mention the heat factor), and the E6850 isn't necessary unless you want ridiculously high overclocks. Once you get to 3 GHZ, you don't really need to worry about your CPU bottlenecking anything.

Yes, EIST is enabled, CPU load clock is 3400 MHz.
I like this A-DATA's, and they are not Vitesta :) I know A-DATA uses only A-DATA chips, or not ? :

Lucky sticks.

Mostly gaming,

thnx
E6750 $200
DS2R $135
2GB of Ballistix $105 -30MIR
X1950Pro $130
Mushkin HP-550 $80
Alternative: Corsair 520HX $110
A case $70 or more.
Hard drive $70-80

Wait. Did you want a whole system? That just came out of my head.

not sure if you want to try crossfire on this board or not but this board only has single 16x pci-e slot.....if misunderstanding, disregard.:rolleyes:

Ok i'm going for the Q6600 but still dont know witch vga card i would buy.

what's about this card (Asus EAH2600XT D4/HTVDI/256M) is it better than a 1950pro?offcourse i'm gonna use it in a Gigabyte G33M-DS2R.

budget for a vga card is 170$.

Thnx

I'd rather have the 1950Pro. Unless playing DX10 games (even at low quality...) is a must.

Besides, the 1950Pro pulls 60FPS in current DX9 games at lower resolutions (1024x768, 4xAA/AF). The 2600XT/8600GT? Not so much. (I believe.)

What memory would i use with a Q6600 (G0) on this mobo?

1. DDR2 - 533
2. DDR2 - 667
or
3. DDR2 - 800 Corsair XMS2 DIMM Kit 2048MB PC2-6400U 4-4-4-12

intend to overclock.

and does vista work on quad core
i mean does it use all the 4 core's :confused:

Curious as to why not max the ram out with 1000 or 1066 - unlimited buget?

Its not worth buying RAM rated at 1000/1066. I'd rather buy Ballistix and OC them up there. That'd be a better idea.

And if you were running 1:1, you might not hit FSB500+. Maybe.

Everybody, please remember to sign the petition at http://g33m-ds2r.de.vu and support all us suckers (and non-suckers) who had to save money getting FSB800 processors. (or didn't think the extra money spent would be worth it, etc. etc.)

Its not worth buying RAM rated at 1000/1066. I'd rather buy Ballistix and OC them up there. That'd be a better idea.

And if you were running 1:1, you might not hit FSB500+. Maybe.

Everybody, please remember to sign the petition at http://g33m-ds2r.de.vu and support all us suckers (and non-suckers) who had to save money getting FSB800 processors. (or didn't think the extra money spent would be worth it, etc. etc.)

Cheers, just a question if you had unlim budjet. Also means you wont stress your ram OC'ing it up to 1000-1066 etc.

Is it possible that Sid Meier's Railroads can run under G33M-DS2R with GMA 3100?

Thanks for reply

Cheers, just a question if you had unlim budjet. Also means you wont stress your ram OC'ing it up to 1000-1066 etc.

True. But with D9GMHs, I'd save the money with Ballistix. What was it for 1066 RAM? $150? Something like that.

Some people never bother looking at the actual prices for 8500 rated sticks. A month ago, a pair of Tracer 8500s were the same price if not cheaper than their 6400 rated parts. Paid $135 CAD after MIR of $25 for the 8500 tracers.. Right now 6400 tracers are even more expensive.

Well, I was thinking of regular 'stix. I know the 'stix 667s are more expensive for some reason. But where did you find 'stix for <$150... in Canada?

And power supplies in the States... they're like $10 more expensive than here in the north.

Got my 8500 tracers at NCIX. They were 159.99 + $25 MIR. Right now I believe their going for approx $170. For some odd reason the regular non led 8500s are actually more expensive than the tracer model @ NCIX. Memory prices hit a low point just before intel's cpu price cut. Probably all those waiting drove up the demand and the prices. Point is, when I bought my system, the 6400 non led ballistix were only $5 cheaper then the 8500 tracers.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index....KIT12864AL1065&manufacture=CRUCIAL TECHNOLOGY

Price cut was... July 22nd.

Right. Didn't get my computer yet.

(Long story short, Dad works in the states, so we had him order stuff from Newegg. Mom visits him, I get cheap computer parts. Sorry NCIX. Get green 120s, and we'll talk. I hate you Linus. For no reason. Probably because you have watercooling.)

Anon did it for lulz and offtopicness.

Greetings [H]OCPers. I had an account here long ago, so hi again. :)

I'm looking for a mATX mobo to put into an Antec/Verio Fusion case for a media server/HTPC system. I've read through this thread because the Gigabyte board seems to be one of the most recommended ones available these days, but I have some questions.

Bear in mind that, rather than overclocking, i'm more interested in undervolting/clocking the system so that it will draw minimal power, but i also will crank it up on occasion to play Supreme Commander (which my laptop won't handle :/). Due to that purpose, i will most likely throw in a Gf 8600GT card, which will also be clocked down when not in serious use. Because of the many output options of the 8600 cards, the paltry 1xVGA output of the mobo itself isn't an issue for a HTPC.

Anyway, my questions:
-Bearing in mind my hope to undervolt/clock the chip for minimal power consumption, what would be the best CPU/memory combo these days. It seems like a middle-FSB one would be best to get the benefits of high bandwidth but also have a lower min. clock.
-Does the choice of processor affect how low the mobo will let me volt it? I don't see any absolute Vcore settings at all--just relative ones--so it's not clear how undervolting would be done. However, i do see that some people have said that it can be.
-I've looked through the thread several times now and can't find where it was mentioned, but somebody said they were able to undervolt in BIOS and get that same relative undervolt applied to each of the EIST voltages, as well. Has anyone else done this with this board? I was under the impression that it was either BIOS Vcore or EIST voltages.
-Finally, given my intended use, does anyone have a better idea for a mobo than this?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

-Bearing in mind my hope to undervolt/clock the chip for minimal power consumption, what would be the best CPU/memory combo these days. It seems like a middle-FSB one would be best to get the benefits of high bandwidth but also have a lower min. clock.
If you're set on Intel, I would say a E6550. Its already a 7x multi though, but as long as the price is right...
-Does the choice of processor affect how low the mobo will let me volt it? I don't see any absolute Vcore settings at all--just relative ones--so it's not clear how undervolting would be done. However, i do see that some people have said that it can be.
Since when did processors affect voltage? Anyways, VCore should be absolute. I do remember setting my VCore at 1.325, not +0.0. I think it undervolts to around 1.16 or something.
-I've looked through the thread several times now and can't find where it was mentioned, but somebody said they were able to undervolt in BIOS and get that same relative undervolt applied to each of the EIST voltages, as well. Has anyone else done this with this board? I was under the impression that it was either BIOS Vcore or EIST voltages.
Dunno. I didn't even know you could set EIST voltages...

-Finally, given my intended use, does anyone have a better idea for a mobo than this?
Yes, but that'd be going to AMD's side. I never considered making an Intel HTPC. Didn't like how much money it costed, when AMD does the same for less.
X2 3600+ (or alternate Brisbane core. But all the 3600+ Brisbanes disappeared for some reason...)
Some RAM.
AN-M2 (DVI out)
Your 8600GT (Might want something beefier, with a 3rd party heatsink, if you're playing 1080i/p. 720p will be fine.)
HDD
Antec case (Can't remember if the Fusion has a power supply or not.)
If not: FSP AX-400. If you can find it in America.

Is it possible that Sid Meier's Railroads can run under G33M-DS2R with GMA 3100?

Thanks for reply
Yes, you can but only with minimal-very low settings. Happened to test the board with that particular game. Intel released a new driver that should be at least slightly better.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
I always liked AMD, but I would still recommed the G33/core2duo combo - unfortunately...

I've tried under-volting with this board and it works fine. I haven't tried to combine it with eist, though. As far as I know, eist will no longer lower the voltage if you don't use the default voltage - it will only lower the CPUs speed. The biggest power saving is from lower voltage, not the lower speed that eist will still enable, so both undervolting and enabling eist shouldn't be that much of an issue. Presently, I'm oc'ing a E4300 to 2.4GHz with eist enabled and default voltage and it works fine. It worked fine at 2.7GHz as well, but occasionally it wouldn't resume from standby (I only seldom turn the computer off completely). Since eist drops the multiplier to x6, it have the greatest effect with high multiplier cpus.
If you plan to occasionally overclock as well, I would rather recommend the quite similar asus G33 board that has 1:1 ram dividers for using cheaper ram till Gigabyte gets their act together on this issue - or buy a 1333 fsb cpu. The price difference between the 6550 and the 6750 is quite minimal compared to more expensive ram, in my country at least, so I would recommend the 6750. You can always choose to lower the multiplier when underclocking.

The Antec fusion includes the same 380W psu that was included with my Antec 3400 - silent and quite power efficient. It is built by Seasonic and got a good review on silentpcreview together with the Antec fusion. The new version of the fusion, I heard, come with a similar 430W psu.

By the way, I have an Asus 8600GT with passive cooling and I have an issue with the dual monitor support. Quite often it fails to recognize my tv connected with dvi - was never an issue with my earlier ati card. I haven't heard of others with that issue, though, so I most probably just ended up with a lemon.... The Abit F-I90 has both vga and hdmi (with a dvi converter) which I could recommend but my own failed shortly after installing it and you want to be able to occasionally game, so I would stick with the G33 and install a graphic card.

Good luck with your built and welcome back....:)

Back