GA-P35-DS3R Beeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaMMerHeD

[H]F Junkie
I purchsed a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R, a C2D E6750, and a 2x2GB Mushkin DDR2-800 kit from newegg. I put it all together, turned it on, and it seems to be working normally, but is giving me this beep code which is driving me insane.

Every 3 seconds, I hear 2 short beeps. This happens from the instant I turn the power on. It does not wait for the BIOS to POST before it starts with the beeping.

In the manual, it states that 2 short beeps is a CMOS setting error, but continuous short beeps indicates a power error. I'm not sure which applies here. Please note that I am typing this post on the system in question.

System Specifiations, as it sits right now:
C2D E6750 at 2.66 GHz (stock)
4 GB (2x2) Mushkin DDR2-800, at 5-5-5-18 (stock)
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
MSI GeForce 8800 Ultra
Creative X-Fi Platinum
Seagate 300 GB SATA-II Hard Drive
HP Lightscribe 16x DVD+-RW
Pioneer 16x DVD+-RW
Antec 900 Case
Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000 W PSU
Windows XP Pro. SP2

Steps I have taken:
Reseated all power connectors
Reseated the CPU
Reseated the Memory
Moved the memory to different slots
Reseated the video card
Reseated all of the fan connectors
Removed and/or unplugged every non-essential component, including the video card, sound card, hard drives, optical drives
Replaced the memory with memory from my video card testing rig, which is known to be good.
Used the auxilliary adaptor for CPU power (4-pin) that came with my power supply
Adjusted the DDR2 and CPU voltages up and down a few notches each way
Cleared the CMOS with the jumper
Cleared the CMOS by removing the battery
Updated the BIOS to version F9 (F7 was the shipped BIOS)

None of the above actions had any effect on the beeping. The system, for all intents and purposes, appears to be working correctly. I can browse, play games (tried Portal, Crysis, The Witcher, and LOTRO), use any application I have installed (Photoshop, Office 2007, etc). There are no unknown or non-working devices in the Device Manager. There is just this maddening beeping.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions/questions?

------------

Update:

I just tried the Corsair HX620 PSU from my video card testing rig, and there were no beeps. This led me to look at my Enermax Power supply, and I discovered that IT was the source of the beeping, not the motherboard.

A quick look through the Galaxy's manual gave me one of two options:

A) Power Good (PG) Signal Abnormal
B) System loading lower than PSU minimum.

Well option B sounds unlikely, as the minimum load is 50 W, and the 8800 Ultra eats 50 W as a light snack. Anyway, my Kill-A-Watt says that the system is using 198 W sitting here typing this.

So option A it is. On that note, I'm off to the PSU forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back