Galactic Civilizations Ultimate Edition on sale $9.99

Thanks! Think I'm finally gonna get this game. Seems like an amazing deal.

In retrospect, probably not, Impulse is owned by the same company that made Galactic Civilizations. I just ordered it off impulse, it seems more software oriented anyway.

Impulse/Stardock is highly game oriented, but they are just simply not nearly as big as Steam so they don't have nearly as many games. They are also huge haters of DRM so I am sure quite a few publishers don't go with them just because of that.

Well I'm downloading now. Wish I found this earlier in the day.

Oh, so this is not related to the Sid Meier's version (his "Civilization" series).

Awesome deal - thanks OP!

I wanted to get this game, but completely forgot about it until it landed here... Glad I did now!

To anyone that likes Master of Orion, you might like this.

I found it more complicated than MOO and at the same time, easier to play. Recommended for 4X strategy fans, especially at $10.

Never heard of this, but I was a big fan of the Civ series. It looks interesting. How good is this game, exactly?

It's pretty damned good, though it definitely takes some time to get into, as it's very complicated. Think Civ3 with even more techs and micromanagement. Still, it's a great game.

You can design your own ships basically from the ground up, which is a pretty neat feature. There are tons of threads around on the Galciv boards of awesome ship designs. I'll link a recent one at the bottom, though there are much better out there if you're willing to poke around some. I've lost many, many hours of sleep to this damned game. For $10, with the expansions, it's a steal.

http://forums.galciv2.com/373125

Been playing a little here and there and I must say this is a very good game, very addicting too.

Impulse/Stardock is highly game oriented, but they are just simply not nearly as big as Steam so they don't have nearly as many games. They are also huge haters of DRM so I am sure quite a few publishers don't go with them just because of that.

Stardock's dislike of DRM doesn't extend to Impulse. They have a number of games on there with 3rd party DRM schemes.

Wicked awesome game, I'll probably wait until Steam has it though. Never got too into Impulse.

Not going to happen. Much as Valve games are only available on Steam, Stardock games are only available on Impulse. This is partially because Stardock wants to push their own service, but also because Valve doesn't like them much because they have a competing service.

So if you want GalCiv II, you have to get it on Impulse, or in the store (it is sold retail as well). No Steam.

Never heard of this, but I was a big fan of the Civ series. It looks interesting. How good is this game, exactly?

Very. If you like complex turn based strategies, it is one of the top. The game itself got 86 on Metacritic and both expansions were over 90. Graphics are a little dated since the game was released a long time ago and it was a lowish budget title, but still nice. Also they scale better than most games, you can run it at an arbitrary high rez and the interface still looks clean and readable.

The AI is also real good, better than most games. It feels more like playing against a real player in that it doesn't tend to "cheat" like many AIs do, it is just pretty smart (when you set it to be).

It's pretty damned good, though it definitely takes some time to get into, as it's very complicated. Think Civ3 with even more techs and micromanagement. Still, it's a great game.

You can design your own ships basically from the ground up, which is a pretty neat feature. There are tons of threads around on the Galciv boards of awesome ship designs. I'll link a recent one at the bottom, though there are much better out there if you're willing to poke around some. I've lost many, many hours of sleep to this damned game. For $10, with the expansions, it's a steal.

http://forums.galciv2.com/373125

toward the end game. micromanagement typically goes out the window for me. After a while, you can only do so much to rinse and repeat. but yes, i have spent plenty of hours. sitting and playing this games hours on end.

Cool. I played the no-expansion version several years ago. At this price I'm finally getting the rest of it.

Back