Galaxy GTX 460 Noise?

Hey everyone,

I am in the market for a new video card and the GTX 460 has definitely caught my eye. Tigerdirect with the 15% cashback, no tax, free ship is really too good of a deal to pass up right now, with one exception. I really want to get the 1gb galaxy model, but I heard the fan noise is actually quite loud. Also, I have heard that it is not from others. I created this thread in the hopes some owners could chime in with their thoughts. Right now I'm running a gtx260 and the sound is perfectly ok with me. Also if you're reading this and own it, post asap please! Cashback ends today! Thanks.

edit: bought the card, still would like to know about the noise issue.

Last edited:
well if it helps you make your decision you can get the 1gb galaxy gtx 460 card from dell for $240 - 25% Bing Cashback = $180.

I'm holding off until I hear some additional reviews for it too though. I can't stand a loud fan.

bah...my impatience got the better of me.

I went ahead and picked up the 1gb super overclocked version for $260- 25% BCB.

use the term "dell small business" to find the 25% off bing code.

Vostro and latitude no longer work so Dell may be taking the deal offline early as those two terms brought up the 25% last night.

shipping was free. Tax was like $18. My total was like $277.xx with tax and I should get about 65 back with bing?!?!?!?! Man I hope Bing goes through. I wouldn't have bought this unless it does! How long does it take for BCB to show up on a dell purchase? I'm also thinking worst case I can modify the fan to be quieter. I'm pretty handy in that realm.

Last edited:
Tried going through bing to dell again, shows up as 2% cashback. Tigerdirect through stores list is still 10-15%. I would rather use TD anyway since I would have to pay less up front. I'm just about ready to buy it, but I'm sill a little worried. Anyone have any firsthand experience with the noise?

yep you are right - it does now show up at 2%. It showed up as 25% earlier today. Man I hope mine doesn't get reduced to 2%.

I'll be on the horn with the customer service if so.... I took a screenprint of the 25% transition screen so I hope I should be okay. It hasn't yet posted though.

Couldn't resist, ended up buying the card. Came to about 200 after everything was said and done, not a bad deal I'd say. I'd still like to know what's up with the noise issues thogh. Might end up not opening it and resell instead if it's that bad.

One of the guys over in the hot deals section under the tigert direct cashback at 15% thread said the fan can be removed and it works fine with a replacment quiet fan. He is using a core 2 duo retail fan zip tied to his galaxy GTX 460 and it's much quieter.

I'll probably do the same sort of thing if I think the stock fan is too loud.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1532152&page=12

One of the guys over in the hot deals section under the tigert direct cashback at 15% thread said the fan can be removed and it works fine with a replacment quiet fan. He is using a core 2 duo retail fan zip tied to his galaxy GTX 460 and it's much quieter.

I was not comfortable with this fix especially since I will be running 2 of them in sli. So I am refusing delivery on these and instead ordered 2 of Gigabyte 460 1GB or $229 each. They are quiet and cool.

I've got a box full of fans - and no case window...I'm not opposed to modding a fan to save $65 bucks (That SHOULD be the amount I saved off Dell retail if my 25% Bing cash back funciton worked right)

I was considering doing that, getting a Galaxy card and putting my own fan on it, but I dont have any quiet 90mm fans just lying around nor do I want a behemoth of a 120mm shoehorned onto it. The only fans that size I have are off Intel coolers... and the reason I have them is because they were too loud on the CPU so they got replaced with something quieter, so it seems somewhat pointless to try and rig them up on a GPU if they were too loud for the CPU, lol.

The cost of the Galaxy card + a decent fan would buy you a 460 which is quiet to begin with, like a Gigabyte one.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It's probably not worth all the hassle. I think I'll end up just selling it for profit and hopefully enough to cover the cost of the gigabyte version on newegg, give or take ~10$ or so which would make me feel a lot better. Or I might just end up going for a used 5850 on the forums.

The Gigabyte card won't let you down, I know I've said this a ton of times already but... awesome video card. Just awesome.

I think the most annoying part of the Galaxy fan is the noise it emits. There's a high pitch whirl when it's on. I told my friend I'll strap on another fan if needed, but he hasn't called me back since, so it probably doesn't bother him.

I have about 15-20 different sized fans laying around....that's what happens when you do water cooling on and off lol

i got a galaxy gtx460 from the bing deals last friday and put it in last night. i have a stock heatsink and fan on my i5-750 so it's not a quiet machine by any means but not loud either. i didn't hear the vid card over the proc fan until it was under a load and the fan speed turned up.

i got my card last night. i was surprised by the noise. until you get drivers installed it runs like full speed and loud. after the drivers where installed it fan slowed while idle. i will no doubt be trying something tonight to fix this sound tonight. i am not sure how they let this get by, it is a high pitch noise. i notice it over my antec 900 at 5 feet away.

i figured other people where just over reacting but there is no way i could deal with the sound.

mine isn't high pitched. I just installed it. I'm downloading the drivers now. I'm hoping it gets quieter with the drivers installed.

My 460SC just arrived and I am not looking forward to dealing with high pitched loud noises. Hopefully my case and desk will muffle it enough to not be aggravating.

My Galaxy GTX 460 Super Overclocked card is not high pitched. I detect no annoying sound. It is louder than I prefer, but no louder than a normal 80mm case fan at full speed against a typical fan grill. I have a reostat on all my fans because I think even an 80mm fan at full speed is too loud for my tastes. At full speed, before I had the drivers installed, I'd suggest that it sounds much like a tornado fan of old. During gaming it did not ramp up to the levels of loudness that you hear when you first turn the PC on. During gaming I typically max my 120mm fan and two 80mm case fans and at that point I could not really hear the Galaxy SOC card's fan to be much of a nusiance over the other fans running at full bore. If the Galaxy card didn't throttle down in Windows (as it did not before the drivers were installed) it would be awful. As it is with the throttle down - it is tolerable. I may mod the fan later, but it's not so annoying as to be an immediate requirement.

I noticed temperatures were in the 80*C range during normal games (company of heroes, and Far Cry 2), and as high as 95*C when running a DX11 benchmark demo from Nviida's site.

What is the safe temp tolerance of this card?

well. I need to contact the Galaxy rep. My fan blades broke on my Galaxy GTX 460. It worked fine since Tuesday's install. Tonight I had an audio problem with my mic and reseted the mic cord in the jack externally on the back of the case. I heard a big clank and some plastic breaking and then silence and I figured correctly that somehow the Galaxy GTX 460 fan had bit the dust, because the Galaxy GTX 460 fan is the loudest fan in my case. Upon turning off my PC and opening my case I realized that the GTX 460 card had gotten close enough to the sound card in the adjacent slot to catch two blades and actually break them off. I removed the GTX460 and looked at it while laid flat. The fan blades actually stick out a bit higher than the side of the plastic heatsink guard, so if anything is going to catch it will be the fan blades. Luckily, so far as best I can tell my sound card seems undamaged. Note this occured in my Cooler Master CM360 case with an Abit IP35-E motherboard with typical spacing between cards. I read that another guy had the same problem when he tried to run two of these cards Galaxy GTX 460 cards in SLI on a different motherboard. I can now understand how that happened. I'm crossing my fingers that the Galaxy rep can help me with my two day old card and get the detachable fan replaced.

Sweet. That's why it's awesome to have a rep here!. I sent the Galaxy rep my information for the fan replacment. Galaxy, thanks for being so attentive!

Whilst I'm disappointed people have been having problems with their fans, its great to see a Galaxy rep checking the forums and helping people out. More companies should do this, it definitely goes down well with peoples' perception of a manufacturer, which is good for everyone when there's so many cards to choose from.

I can just hear a fan at idle in my office with the 460 installed. Its not high pitched, just a normal whir. No clue what it will sound like under load though.

Having a Galaxy rep who answer's PM's is great and one of the reason that I purchased a brand I had never heard of before.

Note this occured in my Cooler Master CM360 case with an Abit IP35-E motherboard with typical spacing between cards. I read that another guy had the same problem when he tried to run two of these cards Galaxy GTX 460 cards in SLI on a different motherboard. I can now understand how that happened. I'm crossing my fingers that the Galaxy rep can help me with my two day old card and get the detachable fan replaced.

Yup, the fan on one of my cards also collided with an adjacent card and blew up quite nicely. Galaxy was great about replacing it and their service on the forum here has been fantastic. I do worry a bit that the fans seem to come apart quite easy though, that could be a bit dangerous. I haven't had a chance to put my replacement in yet since I've been busy and then was without power all night last night. I'm hoping to get to try it tonight (if we ever get power back).

Galaxy rep overnighted me a replacement fan. It got here yesterday. Thanks!!!! Fantastic customer service. I didn't have to do anything except provide the information he requested through a PM. Next thing I know I have a fan overnighted from a Hong Kong facility. I wonder how much that cost Galaxy, the gesture is definately appreciated though!

I'm amazed to have found that other people have had the exact same problem.

I installed a pair of Galaxy 460GTX SLI and as above when turning on the PC was met with several clunks and then a concerning unnatural fan noise and a horrible vibration. As above, the fans stick out just that little bit and had clipped the top of the sound card snapping off 2 blades.

Now, I was not going to be denied my new 460GTX SLI and took to the fan with super glue... would you believe it worked great and 3 weeks later they are still attached and all is fine. I had to wedge some foam from the packaging between the sound and graphics card to give it that little bit of room however.

My only concern is how long... I fear one day I'll hear a crash and find splintered plastic everywhere. I've contact Galaxy via email several times regarding replacement fans with no reply... I'm in Australia so I'm unsure on how far the support extends.

Vas.

I installed a pair of Galaxy 460GTX SLI and as above when turning on the PC was met with several clunks and then a concerning unnatural fan noise and a horrible vibration. As above, the fans stick out just that little bit and had clipped the top of the sound card snapping off 2 blades.

Now, I was not going to be denied my new 460GTX SLI and took to the fan with super glue... would you believe it worked great and 3 weeks later they are still attached and all is fine. I had to wedge some foam from the packaging between the sound and graphics card to give it that little bit of room however.

My only concern is how long... I fear one day I'll hear a crash and find splintered plastic everywhere. I've contact Galaxy via email several times regarding replacement fans with no reply... I'm in Australia so I'm unsure on how far the support extends.

Vas.

Contact the galaxy rep by PM here. He can probably take care of you pretty quickly! He did for me!

I've got mine set back up, doesn't make any noise noticeable over my system fans unless I force the fan up to 100%.

I dug up a much longer SLI bridge and put my cards in the top and bottom slots and my SLI card in the middle. Gave me some more space and lowered temps, but cost me my sound card. I don't really miss it though, just picked up a USB headset.

Vas.

Hi Vas,

Sorry you are having trouble. I'll check into the process for RMA's down there but I'll send you a PM for some more details.

Back