Galaxy Nexus now shipping - unlocked for 750!

Wow, that's more than what I paid for my galaxy note. Figured this phone wouldn't be more than 600.

tempted, but i know it will drop a bit in price so i will wait ;D

volume bug is a software fix.

Even so I just paid a tad more than half that for a SGSII, because the wait, delays, and annoyances on the nexus just kept going up. $400 > $750.

volume bug is a software fix.

Even so I just paid a tad more than half that for a SGSII, because the wait, delays, and annoyances on the nexus just kept going up. $400 > $750.

Save your $750. Get a HTC Rezound for $0.01 on Amazon now, for these reasons:

- *True* 720p resolution. Good color accuracy. (no more fake HD resolution and oversaturated color on screen)
- Beat audio (fuller overall sound and stronger bass)
- large camera len (better for low night environments, no more 5MP camera)

Don't miss the deal.

Last edited:
There's a $20 off coupon for expansys (20OFFLS), so it you can get it for $730 shipped if your willing to spend that much (I just place my order today :D ).

Wow, that's more than what I paid for my galaxy note. Figured this phone wouldn't be more than 600.

It probably costs more cause it is imported. HSPA+ version hasn't been released in the US yet. IMO it's worth the possible $50-100 markup if you're impatient like me.

- *True* 720p resolution. Good color accuracy. (no more fake HD resolution and oversaturated color on screen)

Don't miss the deal.
While the screen may have a better ppi the blacks look washed out and terrible. The nexus screen makes the Rezound's look like dog shit.
Beats audio is overrated. I agree that the camera is nice on that phone....the camera on the Nexus is pathetic.

While the screen may have a better ppi the blacks look washed out and terrible. The nexus screen makes the Rezound's look like dog shit.
Beats audio is overrated. I agree that the camera is nice on that phone....the camera on the Nexus is pathetic.

I won't deny the black color on AMOLED's screen is darker than LCD screen's black. But other colors on AMOLED are oversaturated, causing unnatural color on photos, etc. To see it yourself, take a look at photos with human faces on a AMOLED screen. The faces of people in the photos look a bit too red. That is the main reason why Apple keeps using LCD instead of AMOLED on their iPhone.

Honestly, while some people like me who like Beats audio a lot, some people can't find it special. But most, if not all, of the reviews of the Beat Audio on Rezound are positive. I think most users will find this a good feature.

Last edited:

Some still may want to get an unlocked phone due to the fact they are not eligible to upgrade with their provider, or don't want to get locked into another contract with them. Also, an unlocked phone can work world-wide and service overseas can be had far cheaper with a pre-paid sim than with exorbitant roaming costs, especially for data roaming which in Verizon's case can run up to $20.48 a megabyte in some countries.

Don't miss the deal.
Full price and on T-Mo. Not $VZW$.

It probably costs more cause it is imported. HSPA+ version hasn't been released in the US yet. IMO it's worth the possible $50-100 markup if you're impatient like me.

Well I imported my galaxy note for less and it is not released in the US. I just figured this phone would have been cheaper whether imported or not. I paid a premium for my phone because I wanted a big screen and the gimmicky stylus intrigued me. People pay a premium for the Google phones for what, to be the first with ICS?

They're going to have a hard time selling the Nexus if it's priced that much higher than a GSII. I can buy an unsubsidized GSII from Tmobile for $550. Considering how bad the Nexus' camera is and the lack of SD storage I'm not sure they can price it that much higher.

They're going to have a hard time selling the Nexus if it's priced that much higher than a GSII. I can buy an unsubsidized GSII from Tmobile for $550. Considering how bad the Nexus' camera is and the lack of SD storage I'm not sure they can price it that much higher.
Ebay has planty of NIB SGSIIs for $490-510. :)

I won't deny the black color on AMOLED's screen is darker than LCD screen's black. But other colors on AMOLED are oversaturated, causing unnatural color on photos, etc. To see it yourself, take a look at photos with human faces on a AMOLED screen. The faces of people in the photos look a bit too red. That is the main reason why Apple keeps using LCD instead of AMOLED on their iPhone.

Blanket statement is wrong. Saturation is controlled by software, not by the hardware; AMOLED is perfectly capable of normal saturation levels. Many AMOLED devices ship with high saturation levels for marketing purposes to make the display contrast as much as possible with the deep blacks.

I've seen several reviews that report that the color accuracy of the Galaxy Nexus is actually quite good.

I've also seen where Apple has patented OLED technologies for an upcoming iPhones/iPads. So much for your theory... ;)

At least this is cheaper than my unlocked Galaxy Note that I bought for $780 within the first week of its debute. If you want to play, you have to pay (especially if you want to be the early adotper).

By the way, I would chose the Galaxy Note again instead of the Galaxy Nexus. The Galaxy Note is super phone and would only get better with ICS.

Blanket statement is wrong. Saturation is controlled by software, not by the hardware; AMOLED is perfectly capable of normal saturation levels. Many AMOLED devices ship with high saturation levels for marketing purposes to make the display contrast as much as possible with the deep blacks.

I've seen several reviews that report that the color accuracy of the Galaxy Nexus is actually quite good.

I've also seen where Apple has patented OLED technologies for an upcoming iPhones/iPads. So much for your theory... ;)

No. Saturation is controlled by both software and hardware. AMOLED may be capable of normal saturation levels, but unfortunately Samsung chooses to make all colors oversaturated for marketing purposes. While oversaturated color can immediately catch buyers' attention at first glance, the downside for long-term use is that it causes the "disney color" effect---human faces on photos and movies look like the cartoon characters in Disneyland. That is why Samsung has avoided using photos with human faces on all of the advertisements.

Currently there is no software to adjust color gamut on Android phone. You are stucked with Disney color caused by oversaturated color on AMOLED.

I've seen several reviews in the past reporting this problem on AMOLED screens on other phones. If you've seen reviews that report that the color accuracy of the Galaxy Nexus, you should definitely share with us.

For a comparison between AMOLED screens and Retina display on iPhone, take a look at the review:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...xus_screen_held_back_by_subpar_subpixels.html

The last sentence wrote: "Rather than embrace AMOLED screens like many Android device makers, including Samsung and its new Galaxy Nexus, Apple has instead chosen to stick with LCD screens for its Retina Displays. Those LCD screens feature in-plane switching (IPS), which allow for picture and color accuracy at extreme viewing angles." I have read reports about this decision previously.

I hope Apple won't choose to use AMOLED screen in the future--not unless she does not oversaturate the color. I think AMOLED can be a good technology. But currently it is on a wrong hand.

Last edited:
Kind of miffed that I ordered mine while the INSTOCK label read 100+ and now I get an email saying it's not in stock and awaiting order.

AMOLED may be capable of normal saturation levels, but unfortunately Samsung chooses to make all colors oversaturated for marketing purposes...

Thank you, this was exactly my point.

PS: Software tells the hardware what saturation levels to use, thus software determines saturation level, not hardware. AMOLED is capable of higher saturation levels due to the simple fact that you're not shining a white backlight through a color filter, but an AMOLED display can be just as color-accurate as LCD, (PenTile to PenTile and RGB stripe to RGB stripe), and in some cases more accurate due to the fact that no backlight is being used.

Thank you, this was exactly my point.

PS: Software tells the hardware what saturation levels to use, thus software determines saturation level, not hardware. AMOLED is capable of higher saturation levels due to the simple fact that you're not shining a white backlight through a color filter, but an AMOLED display can be just as color-accurate as LCD, (PenTile to PenTile and RGB stripe to RGB stripe), and in some cases more accurate due to the fact that no backlight is being used.

I mostly believe in what you said.

Color inaccuracy on AMOLED screen is perhaps due to the way Samsung tunes it. Nonetheless, this setting is very hard to change and users are stucked with Disney color effect I mentioned.

Buyers beware.

P.S. the color saturation is not solely depended on the signal given by the software; it also depends on the hardware to display the color.
The same RGB signal can give different level of saturation on different hardware.

wonder when we will get it a bit cheaper ..... come on people in my CL area, buy it to seell for $400

also -- chiu are you actually threadcrapping yet another thread about the Galaxy Nexus....

edit: Chiu if you would have been reading in the toher thread you are trolling you would have found the link to a certian program on the android market that changes your screen settings to what you want...from this here post: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038074203&postcount=75

also -- chiu are you actually threadcrapping yet another thread about the Galaxy Nexus....

I strongly recommend people to read *my* posts on the other thread to get an idea why you should skip Galaxy Nexus and buy somethings else. Sorry the thread is messy due to trolling by a few people there.

edit: Chiu if you would have been reading in the toher thread you are trolling you would have found the link to a certian program on the android market that changes your screen settings to what you want...from this here post: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038074203&postcount=75

The link on this post pointed me to an app called Voodoo Control Plus,
https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.controlappdonate&hl=en

If I understand correctly, this app is an audio control and has nothing to do with the screen settings or color temperature.

voodoo control gives you power over color and sound to my understanding

voodoo control gives you power over color and sound to my understanding

Also this voodoo control requires you to enter the root password, which means that it requires root access to the system kernel. I am afraid not many people know how to unroot the phone and install a new OS on the phone.

Btw, color temperature != color saturation. Adjusting color temperature won't solve the problem.

Last edited:
are you seriously going to argue that rooting a fuckin nexus is something most people cannot do ? As well as putting a new OS ( what relevance this has to Voodoo control is beyond me ) , also it doesnt require you input anything, all you need to do is hit the "allow" button with Super User which is typically installed with root. Just because you cannot figure out root doesnt mean no one can.

Your argument is that Color cannot be changed on AMOLED screens, you were just proven wrong. Live with it.

are you seriously going to argue that rooting a fuckin nexus is something most people cannot do ? As well as putting a new OS ( what relevance this has to Voodoo control is beyond me ) , also it doesnt require you input anything, all you need to do is hit the "allow" button with Super User which is typically installed with root. Just because you cannot figure out root doesnt mean no one can.

Your argument is that Color cannot be changed on AMOLED screens, you were just proven wrong. Live with it.

But yet he will talk about a lack of SD slot being an issue since people might have 100gigs of stuff they want to carry around and share.

I would say more people know how to root, than would care to carry around 3 32gb cards so they can share videos....

He twists each point to his benefit.

i couldnt tell ;) , i'm quite tempted to remove from my ignore list so i can make sure not to miss any of the fun :D

But yet he will talk about a lack of SD slot being an issue since people might have 100gigs of stuff they want to carry around and share.

I would say more people know how to root, than would care to carry around 3 32gb cards so they can share videos....

That's what USB host support is for.. external hard drives.. 3x 32GB micro SD? **** that noise.. 1.5TB portable hdd..

one custom kernel and a simple terminal command and you too can enjoy the (nearly) endless bounty of usb storage on a galaxy nexus.

Yes, Super AMOLED tends to have over-saturated color, but it can be tweaked via software to remove a lot of that. In the case of the nexus, the high pixel density makes it easy to forget that you're looking at a pentile display.

This particular display has a warmer look to it than the super amoled plus on the SGS II and side-by-side I prefer it greatly over the iPhone 4S display and the SGS II display. I'm sure that a true RGB IPS display will look better to a lot of people, but specs aren't why someone buys a nexus device.

You should buy a nexus device if you:
1. like a device that is easy to hack and tinker with
2. always want to be running the latest and greatest version of Android before anybody else
3. Hate waiting months for OS updates
4. don't like your phone loaded up with carrier and manufacturer crapware.

Oops.. I put updates in there twice... silly me .. in my case it should go in there a third time.. I was tired of waiting months and months for software updates other people were getting. Feels great to be on the bleeding edge of Android with Ice Cream Sandwich.

Last edited:
Andrmgic, you are the first one here that can say sometimes that entirely makes sense to me. Other fools here are just incapable to intelligently response to my posts.

Just add somethings to your comments.

That's what USB host support is for.. external hard drives.. 3x 32GB micro SD? **** that noise.. 1.5TB portable hdd..
one custom kernel and a simple terminal command and you too can enjoy the (nearly) endless bounty of usb storage on a galaxy nexus.

Look like we will get USB host function in ICS. Great. It will solve my 100G data problem.

Yes, Super AMOLED tends to have over-saturated color, but it can be tweaked via software to remove a lot of that. In the case of the nexus, the high pixel density makes it easy to forget that you're looking at a pentile display.

I am not sure whether we can easily resolve the over-saturated color issue---no experience as I have never owned a phone with a AMOLED screen. If you choose SLCD, there is no need to tweak. In the current form, the color on Galaxy Nexus is totally unacceptable.

You are correct. The high pixel density on Galaxy Nexus seems to remove the impact of pentile display. But the problem remained in some ultra small font though.

This particular display has a warmer look to it than the super amoled plus on the SGS II and side-by-side I prefer it greatly over the iPhone 4S display and the SGS II display. I'm sure that a true RGB IPS display will look better to a lot of people, but specs aren't why someone buys a nexus device.

Yes, people who buy nexus device for its hardware are stupid. People who support its hardware spec are even more stupid.

You should buy a nexus device if you:
1. like a device that is easy to hack and tinker with
2. always want to be running the latest and greatest version of Android before anybody else
3. Hate waiting months for OS updates
4. don't like your phone loaded up with carrier and manufacturer crapware.

Good luck in hacking the Galaxy Nexus. I am not sure it is as easy as you thought this time. Living on the cutting edge is difficult. But I am sure someone can.

Oops.. I put updates in there twice... silly me .. in my case it should go in there a third time.. I was tired of waiting months and months for software updates other people were getting. Feels great to be on the bleeding edge of Android with Ice Cream Sandwich.

Me, too, will feel great to be on the bleeding edge of Android with Ice Cream Sandwich with my Rezound, sooner or later. I would enjoy even more because of its hardware.

Andrmgic, you are the first one here that can say sometimes that entirely makes sense to me. Other fools here are just incapable to intelligently response to my posts.

Just add somethings to your comments.

Look like we will get USB host function in ICS. Great. It will solve my 100G data problem.

I am not sure whether we can easily resolve the over-saturated color issue---no experience as I have never owned a phone with a AMOLED screen. If you choose SLCD, there is no need to tweak. In the current form, the color on Galaxy Nexus is totally unacceptable.

You are correct. The high pixel density on Galaxy Nexus seems to remove the impact of pentile display. But the problem remained in some ultra small font though.

Yes, people who buy nexus device for its hardware are stupid. People who support its hardware spec are even more stupid.

Good luck in hacking the Galaxy Nexus. I am not sure it is as easy as you thought this time. Living on the cutting edge is difficult. But I am sure someone can.

Me, too, will feel great to be on the bleeding edge of Android with Ice Cream Sandwich with my Rezound, sooner or later. I would enjoy even more because of its hardware.

Bootloader unlocks with a simple command, you can directly flash a recovery image.. I've got a custom rom and a custom kernel with Usb Host and CIFS support as we speak. I like that the nexus phones aren't locked down..

The main thing I like about the device is how it feels in my hand.. I owned a Galaxy S II and this thing makes it feel like a cheap toy, despite both being made out of plastic. It is surprisingly manageable in the hand for a device with a 4.65" display as well.

Very pleased with the device. ICS is a great upgrade to Android... and fixes a lot of my complaints regarding the feel of the UI in versions past.. GPU accelerated 2D UI elements make a noticeable difference.

Back