Galaxy S3 Guerilla Glass is POS

fell off my bed hit the floor and cracked the screen near the camera. camera works fine but the screen is a POS well there goes 15 bucks and i thought these things were durable i've only had my phone for a month

I've dropped mine countless times from waist height in my kitchen and bathroom. Not a single scratch.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
fell off my bed hit the floor and cracked the screen near the camera. camera works fine but the screen is a POS well there goes 15 bucks and i thought these things were durable i've only had my phone for a month

So the phone dropped itself on the floor and you're blaming it on the phone? Lmao talk about denial.

yeah i mean i know its my fault. no it magically happened. but i really didn't think a fall like that could've done that much damage. LOL

You thought a phone that did worse than the iphone in numerous drop tests was durable? Lulz.

I've got that Body Glove DropSuit case on my 4S. It's saved my phone from several scary tumbles and falls.

Best $10 bucks I've ever spent on a cell phone case.

Gorilla glass is awesome.

Hell even the "regular" ass glass on my Galaxy Nexus is pretty damn spiffy. Had it a year and while I have a case, I don't have a screen protector and it's as smooth and perfect as the day I bought it.

Dropping the phone and escaping any damage is most of the time pure luck no matter the height or velocity. Lots of different forces acting upon the glass depending if it takes a vertical or lateral hit.

I've dropped my phone off my desk when I was reaching for it in a sleepy haze, drop distance was only about 3 feet and while the glass was 100% i did catch a small and annoying ding right on the plastic bezel of the face of the phone. Like I said, it's all just luck on how it takes the hit.

If you are technically inclined - you can usually replace the glass digitizer for between 10 and 20 dollars. (At least that's how much glass costs on my old HTC Evo)

Galaxy Nexus does not have Gorilla Glass but it does have enhanced glass. Probably made by a smaller company that didn't trademark it like Corning or Asahi did with Dragontail.

Anyhow, no glass, no matter how it's enhanced can protect against all stress fractures. They are about preventing scratches and etches not stress fractures.

Guys, stop defending the SGS3. Go on youtube. The design of the SGS3 on the drop tests are pathetic.

Guys, stop defending the SGS3. Go on youtube. The design of the SGS3 on the drop tests are pathetic.

I've used one for over 3 months now and you watched a YouTube video. Good job. But I guess real usage of the phone is less useful than simulated drop tests.

yeah i mean i know its my fault. no it magically happened. but i really didn't think a fall like that could've done that much damage. LOL

No matter how you reinforce the glass there will always be stress factors that involve breakage. The Gorilla Glass is great for preventing scratches or dents/chips from happening but if the case allows a lot of stress to apply on the edge it can't protect very well. The SGS3 body breaks down on these edge drops a lot.

I've had phones before where I didn't even realize I broke them then not even remember what broke them :eek:

I've used one for over 3 months now and you watched a YouTube video. Good job. But I guess real usage of the phone is less useful than simulated drop tests.
Simulations and tests tell us things we wouldn't normally know. Surely you care about your car's crash test data...

No matter how you reinforce the glass there will always be stress factors that involve breakage. The Gorilla Glass is great for preventing scratches or dents/chips from happening but if the case allows a lot of stress to apply on the edge it can't protect very well. The SGS3 body breaks down on these edge drops a lot.

I've had phones before where I didn't even realize I broke them then not even remember what broke them :eek:

^This.

I have the SGS2, which uses Gorilla Glass. The SGS3 uses Gorilla Glass 2 (which is supposed to be able to maintain the same shatter resistance while being thinner). If you compare drop tests, the SGS2 is built like a tank compared to the SGS3.

The SGS3 is not a durable phone. It's an amazing device in so many ways, but it begs for a good case.

my brother thought that the gorilla glass was incredible and would not break and wondered why I used a case for my phone then within a week of him getting his s3 he dropped it and broke the screen. lol

Simulations and tests tell us things we wouldn't normally know. Surely you care about your car's crash test data...

The Youtube videos are not too bad for drawing trends if you see the same phone having issues, but I think comparing them to car crash test data is a bit overreaching. Car crash tests are done in a repeatable, measurable manner with very little variability while Youtube drop tests are often done in a haphazard manner :p

The Youtube videos are not too bad for drawing trends if you see the same phone having issues, but I think comparing them to car crash test data is a bit overreaching. Car crash tests are done in a repeatable, measurable manner with very little variability while Youtube drop tests are often done in a haphazard manner :p

They do achieve the seller result :p

Either way their isn't a set standard for drop tests other then letting your phone drop... But done tests are funny like the 4/4s and sgs3 :D

They do achieve the seller result :p

Either way their isn't a set standard for drop tests other then letting your phone drop... But done tests are funny like the 4/4s and sgs3 :D

It just irks me when I see some random drop test comparison between two phones and one hits a corner while the other doesn't. Then they draw conclusions saying something like the one that hit the corner appears to be worse at taking the fall. :eek:

You're right though, they do usually achieve what the marketing team is trying for :p

I have to agree, the gorilla glass is crap when it comes to drops. I dropped my LG Lucid from waist height and the screen cracked across the midsection. In this case, it was NOT my fault....it was Jack Daniel's fault.

It just irks me when I see some random drop test comparison between two phones and one hits a corner while the other doesn't. Then they draw conclusions saying something like the one that hit the corner appears to be worse at taking the fall. :eek:
But after dozens drop tests videos, even with the random elements, you do see a general trend. And as for the trend goes, the SGS3 may be a good device, it's just a very poorly built one just like the iPhone 4 and the 4S were.

wow -- people sure do have their panties in a wad.

As fragile as people are saying the SG3 is - I'd much rather have it than a fully glass enclosed iphone 4 or 5 (i dont know if they are still doing full glass backs on the 5) *shrugs*

Until we develop transparent aluminum (hah) just accept the fact that glass is going to break. For as much abuse as cell phones take in general, I think we are doing pretty damn good overall with the level of "Tech" in the coatings and glass we have.

wow -- people sure do have their panties in a wad.

As fragile as people are saying the SG3 is - I'd much rather have it than a fully glass enclosed iphone 4 or 5 (i dont know if they are still doing full glass backs on the 5) *shrugs*

Until we develop transparent aluminum (hah) just accept the fact that glass is going to break. For as much abuse as cell phones take in general, I think we are doing pretty damn good overall with the level of "Tech" in the coatings and glass we have.
Quiet, you!! I'm still working on the dynamics of that matrix! ;)

I have a cheap fuck case on my SGS3. Dropped it tons of times. Not a scratch. Think I paid $6 on Amazon for my case.

The only electronics that can be considered "durable" are from the 1980s or earlier.

Anything since then is just waiting to break or fail.

Buy an Otterbox next time. I got a white Commuter off fleabay for $16. Toss the screen protector in the garbage though, it's not worth the hassle.

I've dropped an S3 from waist height once, luckily only a tiny scratch on one of the side corners.

I've had an otterbox defender on my Lumia 920 since day one, and never dropped it.

Christmas day, the one time I forgot to put the case back on from the night before, I forgot it was in my lap when I exited my F-150, sending the case-less Lumia crashing to the concrete from about 3' up.

It hit on the bottom right corner, then screen-down, and left only a small nick in the polycarbonate shell. The screen is still intact. I <3 my phone. :cool:

i dropped my s3 on concrete once, but the screen was fine. i use the cygnett shell. not pretty but effective.

Back