Game Return Policies

Volume

2[H]4U
I've been thinking about return policies in the gaming industry and have realized that the only other people that can sell you a bad product and not be held accountable are drug dealers.

Anyone else have a problem with spending $60 on games that turn out to be nightmares of technical and quality issues?

/rant

Back in the day before GameStop there was electronics boutique. 14 day return policy, no questions asked, cash refund. I used to buy/rent games 14 days at a time, it was awesome!!

If they let you return games now people would beat/tire a game and return it.

On an outdated 14-day policy, sure. But look at Origin. They let you return an EA game within 24 hours of purchase. That is a great decision on their part.

it's not just games, it's any software...you can't allow returns because people will clearly abuse the system

Back in the day before GameStop there was electronics boutique. 14 day return policy, no questions asked, cash refund. I used to buy/rent games 14 days at a time, it was awesome!!

And people like yourself who abused it are the reason such policies are now history. When I worked at Ebgames I use to spend half my day doing restock because of people who abused the generous return policy. So thanks for for that.

Infact it wasn't just Ebgames that did it , 14 day returns were common place for games even at the big outlets. But again , people abused the Fuck out of it and polices had to change.

The same people also abused the best return policy on the planet which was Costco's which was 6 months. People would return their HD tv's for a new one every 6 months and always stay a head of the curve.

*awaits the arrival of the posters who will rationalize the above behavior and say that the retailers "asked for it"*
I went to Gamestop a few days ago to exchange a 60GB fat PS3 that crapped out on me. Surprisingly, they still have a 7 day no questions asked refund (at least on used games)

it's not just games, it's any software...you can't allow returns because people will clearly abuse the system

No, I have to disagree with you there. There is plenty of protection built into games that prevents someone from just burning a copy and returning it. Hell, it's easier to just torrent one in the first place if a free game is what you're after.

This no-returns policy only strengthens the piracy of games as there is no good faith between the publisher and consumer that if they sell a crap product, they can be held accountable *cough*COD:Ghosts*cough*

Especially in the age of massive digital distribution, where the distributor such as Steam can simply revoke the game license from your game library, there is no reason not to allow a 24-hour return, other than shameless greed. Kudos to Origin for allowing EA-published games to be returned within 24 hours. This is an area where I'd like to see Valve catch up.

*awaits the arrival of the posters who will rationalize the above behavior and say that the retailers "asked for it"*
I went to Gamestop a few days ago to exchange a 60GB fat PS3 that crapped out on me. Surprisingly, they still have a 7 day no questions asked refund (at least on used games)

Yeah i was gonna say I was pretty sure gamestop had a good return policy on used. Ive never had an issue with them.

I dont buy new games though. I prefer cocaine.

I dont buy new games though. I prefer cocaine.

golf-clap.gif

No, I have to disagree with you there. There is plenty of protection built into games that prevents someone from just burning a copy and returning it. Hell, it's easier to just torrent one in the first place if a free game is what you're after.

This no-returns policy only strengthens the piracy of games as there is no good faith between the publisher and consumer that if they sell a crap product, they can be held accountable *cough*COD:Ghosts*cough*

Especially in the age of massive digital distribution, where the distributor such as Steam can simply revoke the game license from your game library, there is no reason not to allow a 24-hour return, other than shameless greed. Kudos to Origin for allowing EA-published games to be returned within 24 hours. This is an area where I'd like to see Valve catch up.

a 'crap' product is subjective...who determines if it's crap?...a broken game is different but you can't allow returns based on a person's taste...so if a person turns out not to like a game or doesn't know if it can run on his system then he can try it out and return it?

Back