Game saving

How do you guys back up your saved games? Is there a special way you have to go about it? Because I backed mine up just incase my computer crashed (which it did) and now i tried loading them back into the game and they won't work for some reason. How would I go about this?

I normally just guess on what directory the saves are in, and save the entire directory, unless there is a subdirectory with my profile name, in which case I'll just save that directory.

Not to say that this will always work, but it has always worked for the games I've tried (Unreal2k4, Painkiller, Farcry, Doom3, etc)

I normally forget where those directories sit after I'm trying to restore a backup, so I'll usually create a dummy profile, find where the files are supposed to be, and then copy and paste my directories into the same directory.

Look for the save directory and grab that. Then go through the main directories of the game, sort by date modified and grab anything that looks like it could be relevant to saves and modified since the game was installed. I often grab configs as well to save me redoing settings when I reinstall.

Some save files are hidden quite well, so it really depends on the game. You may have thought you backed up the saves when you really didn't. NSF:U for example puts the files in a hidden directory where most people wouldn't expect it. Most of the time though, the files are actually in the game folders, and are easy to find.

Blue Fox said:
NSF:U for example puts the files in a hidden directory where most people wouldn't expect it.
That's probably the %AppData% directory, which is also worth backing up anyway. (usually c:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\)

Back