Gamer eGPU System - Fast dock, Laptop cooler, eGPU Case + SFF Case

Pendra

n00b
The idea is to have a quick and easy docking solution for laptops that have no centralized docking feature with added eGPU support, extra laptop CPU cooling and hidden cabling. All a gamer may need in one flat package.

EGPU Case assembly (50x20x7cm):
EGPU_Dock_N_00.jpg

Dock assembly:
EGPU_Dock_N_01.jpg EGPU_Dock_N_02.jpg
EGPU_Dock_N_03.jpg EGPU_Dock_N_03w.jpg

Bolt the eGPU and the cooler plate to the base and add the sides. Then you slide the laptop in, close the sides and you are good for gaming. Same for removal, just open the sides, slide the laptop out and you are ready to move.

It should work for all laptops in any size and configuration because the plugs are held in place by consoles, can grab onto plugs of various sizes and hold them firmly in place. Plus it allows movement on all three axis during setup.

Z axis:
S1.jpg S2.jpg

Y axis:
S2.jpg S3.jpg

X Axis:
S4.jpg S5.jpg

Continue with more pictures.

Last edited:
The quick docking works with ECard and TBolt3. In order to make the quick dock work with M.2 and mPCIe, another piece is needed:
eGPU_int_ext.jpg
A DVD player shaped module that replaces the DVD in the laptop. The yellow ribbon cable should be flat enough to fit inside the laptop and connect to the M.2 or the mPCIe. This way, you can have the convenience of ECard type eGPU connection on laptops that have M.2 or mPCIe only. You just need to install this once. You can also retain the SSD over the DVD SATA.

Finally, if you don't feel like eGPU-ing anymore, you can still use the set. The laptop cooler works fine in itself, off the baseplate.
The eGPU case is designed to work as an SFF case. It fits a SFX PSU, a ITX mobo with a flat cooler, an ITX GPU, a slim DVD and two 2.5 HDDs.
EGPU_Dock_N_Case_01.jpg EGPU_Dock_N_Case_02.jpg EGPU_Dock_N_Case_03.jpg

Last edited:
Let's talk about the GPU section of this invention (which I like quite a bit, btw). I gather you'd use an SFX PSU which makes total sense because of the 125mm edge is roughly the same as the video card height and the 100mm depth is not a lot. The 64.5mm thickness, however, is a bit much -- that's more like three slots not too. But I guess it's still best. Now, let's say the laptop part is, 380mm or so wide to accommodate 15" laptops -- the PSU takes 100mm, how long video cards do you plan to support? I see it's wider than the base so I guess you'd go 300mm or so with the vidcard, is that right?

Also, how are you planning the TB3 to PCIe breakout? Gut an AKiTiO Node?

Let's talk about the GPU section of this invention (which I like quite a bit, btw). I gather you'd use an SFX PSU which makes total sense because of the 125mm edge is roughly the same as the video card height and the 100mm depth is not a lot. The 64.5mm thickness, however, is a bit much -- that's more like three slots not too. But I guess it's still best. Now, let's say the laptop part is, 380mm or so wide to accommodate 15" laptops -- the PSU takes 100mm, how long video cards do you plan to support? I see it's wider than the base so I guess you'd go 300mm or so with the vidcard, is that right?

Also, how are you planning the TB3 to PCIe breakout? Gut an AKiTiO Node?

Yes, SFX PSU. I figured that is a cheaper and more flexible solution than a brick PSU. The eGPU case is 70mm tall with 2mm walls, the 65mm should fit. The GPU is laying flat on top of the ODD. It is kinda like in the middle of the case. The eGPU case is pretty wide, 500mm. It should be able to fit ~340mm long cards with the SFX PSU.

The docker can take laptops with width between 440 - 280mm and depth smaller than 350mm and any height. The sides slide on linear ball bearings for maximum smoothness.

The EXP GDC Beast, which I used in the model (the white thing on the bottom of the GPU), uses a HDMI cable to connect the laptop to the eGPU unit. To keep it as simple as possible, I used a HDMI for the breakout. Practically an EXP GDC M.2/mPCIe connector paired with a much shorter ribbon cable with female HDMI ending bolted into the DVD module. After that, you should be able to use a male-male HDMI between the laptop and the eGPU box.
I don't think there is a mPCIe/M.2 > T3 converter. I only heard about a T3 > M.2 converter so far.

Last edited:
Back