Gamers, win 10 and Steam

Is anyone surprised? Windows 10 was free and gamers are often in the early-adopter demographic.

DX12 is eventually going to be a factor and I figured I might as well hop on the train earlier than later. Especially one gaming performance was discovered to be (roughly) identical to Windows 8 and Nvidia threw their support behind it.

The bigger picture is Windows 10 uptake is decelerating, not accelerating, even with MS's heavy handed tactics and trojan nagware bullshit. Whether you look at Steam's stats or Netmarketshare or anything else, uptake is slowing, and its going to take eons for it to catch up to Windows 7.

so gamers love Windows 10 based on that article??...more like Gamers are being forced to upgrade to Windows 10 for DX12 support...watch what happens if MS decides to add DX12 support to Windows 7

Seems to me like half of the win 10 people are from 8 and the other half had automatic updates turned on. But i'm sure Yahoo got a few bucks / free data for making this glowing article about Win10.

so gamers love Windows 10 based on that article??...more like Gamers are being forced to upgrade to Windows 10 for DX12 support...watch what happens if MS decides to add DX12 support to Windows 7

This is just like the call to add DX10 to Windows XP, it will never happen.

I'm surprised to see so many gamers on Windows 8.1, I jumped ship to 10 the first chance I got. It's really the best of both worlds.

That's some good ganja you're smoking.

Windows 7 won't even be sold on OEM machines in a year's time. At that point it has maybe a year or two of solid patch support under it before Microsoft decides to pull the plug, and that's just basic patching, not feature adds or anything like that (though I imagine enterprise support will wheeze on for another year or so because companies pay a lot for that). Then it's all Windows 10 all the time, like it or not. DX12 is just one of the heavy lead pipes that Microsoft is using to make sure Windows 7 goes down and stays down.

DX12 is eventually going to be a factor and I figured I might as well hop on the train earlier than later. Especially one gaming performance was discovered to be (roughly) identical to Windows 8 and Nvidia threw their support behind it.

Similar feelings here.

I have some concerns about data collection and privacy in Windows 10, but since I only use it for gaming (I do everything else in Linux) I'm not convinced it's THAT much of a problem for my specific application.

Windows 7 won't even be sold on OEM machines in a year's time. At that point it has maybe a year or two of solid patch support under it before Microsoft decides to pull the plug, and that's just basic patching, not feature adds or anything like that (though I imagine enterprise support will wheeze on for another year or so because companies pay a lot for that). Then it's all Windows 10 all the time, like it or not. DX12 is just one of the heavy lead pipes that Microsoft is using to make sure Windows 7 goes down and stays down.

Agree with the sentiment, but I wouldn't expect them to deviate from their published support schedules.

21984763444_de217a4825_o.jpg

I bet most upgrades are people with oem windows 8 machines that were desperate to rid themselves of it, without having to pay for a copy of 7. For the record, I fall into this "most" category.

Win10 is so much better than anything else MS has made. I have an Intel Win XP notebook from years ago that I installed Win 10 64 on. Notebook is fast as hell now. On Windows XP it was so sluggish that I literally would have to click go on a task and walk away for it to complete. Under Windows 10 it is instantaneous. Youtube videos stuttered like a mofo under Win XP. Smooth as hell under Win 10.

The only thing that lets me know that the notebook is old as hell is when I fire up the Sling app and it tells me that the iGPU is too old to run at the best quality. That's due to the age of the Intel chip; not Win 10. Youtube looks fine so it may be something odd with the Sling app.

I installed Win 10 on a HP Vista box with some ancient AMD quad core processor and an Nvidia GPU. The NVidia GPU didn't make the cut as the driver kept f*cking crashing and resetting the display. Tossed an old HD 7950 I had sitting around into it and I can play Shadows of Mordor on the highest settings @30Hz. If I cut down a couple of settings I'm @60Hz gaming. Found that PC in a trash bin. Got Win 10 64 for free for being in the Insider's Program.

My gaming rig runs quite well on Win 10 64. Win 10 64 takes advantage of the core enhancements from the Win 7 patch and Win 8.1. No issues so far. Smooth as glass. The AMD Win 10 drivers are a helluva upgrade over the Win 8 drivers. So demanding games like Project Cars went from 18fps under Win 8.1 to 72 fps under Win 10.

All in all I'm very happy with Win 10 64.

I installed Win 10 on this UNIVAC I had from the 50s. Now it can play Crysis like a champ! It's unbelievable! Win 10 is the best OS that Microsoft has ever made!

I installed Win 10 on this UNIVAC I had from the 50s. Now it can play Crysis like a champ! It's unbelievable! Win 10 is the best OS that Microsoft has ever made!

Confirmed.
640px-Univac_I_at_CHM.agr.jpg

Since I Went Skylake and it's flaky win7 support thought I might as wel upgrade to win 10, on my laptop running 8.1 it was an even easier choice to get 10

This is just like the call to add DX10 to Windows XP, it will never happen.

I'm surprised to see so many gamers on Windows 8.1, I jumped ship to 10 the first chance I got. It's really the best of both worlds.

Best of both worlds if you don't mind everything you do logged and transmitted to the mothership.

8 with a Start Menu replacement and the spying updates blocked is the real best of both worlds, least until any DX12 games worth a damn emerge late next year.

Zarathustra[H];1041948404 said:
Agree with the sentiment, but I wouldn't expect them to deviate from their published support schedules.

I wouldn't either. But it's crazy how much time has already gone by. In two months, Win 7 will have 4 years of support left. A long time for sure, but still not seeming as long as saying support until 2020. ;)

I haven't put 10 in yet on my gaming drive, but when I build my new rig (expectation around mid-next year) I'll likely drop 10 on it.

IMO, there's no perfect solution. 7 is dated. 8.1 is quick, but ugly and clunky. 10 tries to have the best of both, but still feels like a work in progress.
Hell, I wish MS would drop the whole material knock-off thing and go all-in by duping the style of MacOS.

IMO, there's no perfect solution. 7 is dated. 8.1 is quick, but ugly and clunky. 10 tries to have the best of both, but still feels like a work in progress.

Pretty much how I feel as well. I'm pretty sure 8.1 was slightly faster than 10 and I actually preferred it's control panel and network management... but it was obviously the end of the line.

Plus 10 updates my hyper-v, enables HTTP 2 and more secure ssl ciphers in IIS, adds directx 12 etc. It's not like you can stay on any version of windows, mac os, or linux... eventually the support ends.

Best of both worlds if you don't mind everything you do logged and transmitted to the mothership.

It is sad that so many dont care about that important fact.

Just look on this thread alone, only you said this, yet the rest are praising this glorified keylogger.

So, has anyone actually monitored and analyzed what, if any, data is being transmitted to and from Microsoft regarding regular Windows 10 usage?

So, has anyone actually monitored and analyzed what, if any, data is being transmitted to and from Microsoft regarding regular Windows 10 usage?

The telemetry packets are encrypted. Unless someone is able to break open the packets, we can't look inside and know what they contain.

kinde proving the points. MS has to wrestle peope laway form 7 onto 10

free 10 upgrade
Locked DX12
Stopping sale and support of 7.

If 7 and 10 was battling on even ground i dont think win10 would win in the long run.
I hate working in it. Its so in inefficient to work in. so many bad design choices to make it look fancy and modern but lack logical workflow

I never upgrade windows until its widespread preferred on corporate desktop machines. IT Admins are the most anal about this stuff because their job to deal with it when it breaks. Its not a complement when I say I'll install it when corporate approves it.

I'll eventually be forced to upgrade to Win10 on my gaming rig when DX12 takes off - five years or so down the line at best I imagine. The rest of the PCs should be on SteamOS by then if they polish the rough edges.

When the time comes I'll have to sit down and figure out how to disable all the spying BS Microsoft packed the OS with, I'm sure it'll be quit the project from what I've read.

Wait, there's 32-bit version of Windows 10? Fucking, why?

As much as I would agree with you, it was needed because Intel cripples some of their atom chips so the 64 bit version won't work. I'll need to use the 32 bit version on my windows 8 tablet when I upgrade it.

The telemetry packets are encrypted. Unless someone is able to break open the packets, we can't look inside and know what they contain.

I don't really care what's in the packets, I just want the ability to block all of them.
Once I can block the spyware, I'll consider upgrading.

it's comical how so many 'enthusiasts' have run out to 'upgrade' to W10, ignoring all the telemetry, forced updates, spyware etc...the power of the word 'free' is laughable these days...if W10 wasn't free then 68% of the new user base would never have 'upgraded'

it's comical how so many 'enthusiasts' have run out to 'upgrade' to W10, ignoring all the telemetry, forced updates, spyware etc...the power of the word 'free' is laughable these days...if W10 wasn't free then 68% of the new user base would never have 'upgraded'

In this day and age of every ad tracking you across the internet, reading your Facebook / twitter / whatever, hackers breaking into websites, etc... All of your information is already out there. I literally needed my little sister's address and was able to Google it in 5 seconds. She doesn't even use social media. Zero accounts and everything about her is spread across the net.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/lightbeam/

As much as I would agree with you, it was needed because Intel cripples some of their atom chips so the 64 bit version won't work. I'll need to use the 32 bit version on my windows 8 tablet when I upgrade it.

Thank you for the info. I was wondering why still have 32bit and could not understand why.

On this topic: I loved 7 and 10 is just as good if not better for all I do. I am not too concerned with telemetry, just a personal choice of my own. So given any choice I would still choose 10 over 7 (mostly DX12 and AMD driver performance increase).

Back