Games crash at splash screen with 8120.

It is definitely looking like firmware issues, but doesn't change OP's temps are not normal.

Agreed with that just saying it seems like there are some firmware level things going on causing these BSOD's. I havent heard back from ASROCK or AMD yet... Hoping this gets ironed out quick.

Agreed with that just saying it seems like there are some firmware level things going on causing these BSOD's. I havent heard back from ASROCK or AMD yet... Hoping this gets ironed out quick.

Meeee toooo :( I haven't put in any support requests, myself...Perhaps I should. It can't hurt, anyway.

Meeee toooo :( I haven't put in any support requests, myself...Perhaps I should. It can't hurt, anyway.

Ill shoot an email over to the support team from my work addy tomorrow. Ill see if our AMD rep has any contacts too, hopefully we can get some info if nothing else asap.

Slawsome...thanks for your time! I'll be looking forward to hearing what you come up with :)

But man what a mess this is turning out to be for AMD, their customers and stockholders....I mean, i'm still enjoying my CPU as a whole, but good grief! It's almost like somebody paid them to faceplant on this launch.

EDIT: I retract my statement about the stockholders...They're evidently happy, as their stock value surged to over $5.00 today; +7.2%....http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:AMD

Last edited:
For kicks I installed the stock cooler and enabled Cool n' Quiet using the thermal paste that is already on the cpu cooler from the factory. I also installed 2 new case fans for more air flow. All settings are at stock.

My cpu idles at 49c at 1/2 voltage.
My cpu idles at 54c if I move the mouse around in fast circles on the screen.
I know I can't mess up installing the stock cooler!

I deem my PC the fire breathing dragon! I need to silk screen a dragon on the side of my case!

:)

Well, I don't know about those stock coolers...They seem pretty worthless. It's identical to the one that came on my 1100t, which I put on my 945 (since I had another aftermarket cooler for the 1100t...a Zalman 9700)... It can barely cool the 945 quad core! 55-58C load, though cool n quiet makes idle manageable. I definitely wouldn't waste time with the stock cooler.

All of that to say, your H50 is far superior, but I just don't understand why it wasn't keeping up. Maybe it has an air bubble in it? Or low on liquid (like, a factory error)?

For kicks I installed the stock cooler and enabled Cool n' Quiet using the thermal paste that is already on the cpu cooler from the factory. I also installed 2 new case fans for more air flow. All settings are at stock.

My cpu idles at 49c at 1/2 voltage.
My cpu idles at 54c if I move the mouse around in fast circles on the screen.
I know I can't mess up installing the stock cooler!

I deem my PC the fire breathing dragon! I need to silk screen a dragon on the side of my case!

open up the case , it makes a good heater for the winter

Well, I don't know about those stock coolers...They seem pretty worthless. It's identical to the one that came on my 1100t, which I put on my 945 (since I had another aftermarket cooler for the 1100t...a Zalman 9700)... It can barely cool the 945 quad core! 55-58C load, though cool n quiet makes idle manageable. I definitely wouldn't waste time with the stock cooler.

All of that to say, your H50 is far superior, but I just don't understand why it wasn't keeping up. Maybe it has an air bubble in it? Or low on liquid (like, a factory error)?

I was wondering the same. It's a closed system and I wouldn't want to risk a leak if I opened it. On a side note my nephew bought me Battlefield 3 and it runs great on my system. Been playing for 7 hours straight and not one hiccup on the stock cooler.

BF3 runs great here too, im dying to get home and play some more. Unfortunately I was only able to squeeze about 30 minutes in this morning before work :(

Still havent heard back, im a little frustrated that they havent atleast followed up with me.

BF3 runs great here too, im dying to get home and play some more. Unfortunately I was only able to squeeze about 30 minutes in this morning before work :(

I noticed that BF:BC2 seems to scale with multi-core CPUs pretty well, so not surprising that BC3 would follow suit. It utilized all 6 of my 1100t cores, with overall CPU usage at about 80-90% average and decent framerates. Now, on my 8120, it still uses all 8 cores and still holds around 80% average usage, and my framerates are even higher still - with my cfx, I get minimum of 120fps, avg 150fps and peak around 200!

I noticed that BF:BC2 seems to scale with multi-core CPUs pretty well, so not surprising that BC3 would follow suit. It utilized all 6 of my 1100t cores, with overall CPU usage at about 80-90% average and decent framerates. Now, on my 8120, it still uses all 8 cores and still holds around 80% average usage, and my framerates are even higher still - with my cfx, I get minimum of 120fps, avg 150fps and peak around 200!

Yea, you see why I want to leave in this 8120 so badly. I hope that AMD will cross ship me one. I can't stand my 555 BE for more than an hour.

Well I contacted the Asus rep in the AMD motherboard section and he said that it takes a minimum of 4 weeks for a new bios to be approved for release. So I'm hopeful that one will be released in the coming weeks that rectifies the games issue.

I wouldn't sell my current system as I have a niece that needs a new PC for her son and daughter. She's barely making ends meet in this economy on her own so it would be welcomed by her. Maybe give her the 555 BE, one 460, cheap case / mobo combo off NewEgg.

The 8120 I would just send in to AMD to be replaced if they fix the games issues that they obviously have. Mine runs pretty hot for some reason, although in the Hardocp review they mention that a 4.6 OC wasn't feasible with a H100 because of heat issues. I can't load mine beyond 4.0 due to the H50's inability to overcome the heat. Yes it will run fine doing normal tasks, but if you load it up the heat generated is more than the H50 can handle. 1.4125 volts is probably the most you want to shoot for these and use off the shelf cooling. 1.5v and beyond requires hobbyist cooling solutions under load.

My system seems very fast to me even at stock speeds. It's a very robust upgrade over my Q6600; I'd even say that it left the Q6600 choking in the dust. There's no comparison between the two as my video cards never realized their full potential with it installed. If you have a Q6600 and still buying nice video cards for it, stop and upgrade the cpu. You're doing yourself a disservice.

The 555 BE locked as a dual core can't even get close to the 8120. Once again my video cards are bored praying for something to do, and games like BF3 choked every time there was destruction in the environment. Nothing like getting microstutters while trying to return fire in BF3. Keyboards will fly!

My 555 BE refused to stabilize as a quad or triple core so I can't say if it would have been enough. But as a dual core it was pretty sad as it did fine until something came along that required real computing power. I thought the 555 BE would unlock as I have done similar unlocks for my nephews in their systems. But it would OC to 4.2 which as pretty awesome to look at, even though it still choked when it was really needed.

I don't know anyone with a 2500k or 2600k to compare the 8120 to. But going by the charts I don't see what I would gain by buying new equipment again for it. Well besides the power draw! My 8120 is a fire breathing dragon!

Amd should capitalise on Game of Thrones madness:

Winter is Coming
Be prepared with BD CPU
No additional heating for your room needed :D

AMD is actually pretty dope when it comes to that, just unlock some core(s) and ahhh get out the marshmallows and hot dogs for a good old time :p

Stock cooler's thermal paste seems to have cured some. It idles at 42c now.

AMD is actually pretty dope when it comes to that, just unlock some core(s) and ahhh get out the marshmallows and hot dogs for a good old time :p

i remember the days where you had to buy a dip switch for the slot A to overclock my processor. Also i remember back in 2001 when i used a liquid conducting pen on the processor to unlock the multiplyers.. Remember the eraser method or using a number 2 pencil?

i remember the days where you had to buy a dip switch for the slot A to overclock my processor. Also i remember back in 2001 when i used a liquid conducting pen on the processor to unlock the multiplyers.. Remember the eraser method or using a number 2 pencil?

I remember unlocking my Thunderbird with a pencil... What a pain, but resulted in a 400mhz OC to 1.4ghz and I was able to use that rig for about 3 years before I finally upgraded :D

AMD's reply was RMA the processor... They dont have stock currently, and I am not happy in the least. Apparently if it was my only PC they think its acceptable for me to be 'computerless' until they get stock? and no ETA? nice.

AMD's reply was RMA the processor... They dont have stock currently, and I am not happy in the least. Apparently if it was my only PC they think its acceptable for me to be 'computerless' until they get stock? and no ETA? nice.

lol...RMA is most manufacturers' response to everything, if they don't make you sit on hold for hours and try a bunch of annoying, "been there, done that", troubleshooting tasks, first :rolleyes:

lol...RMA is most manufacturers' response to everything, if they don't make you sit on hold for hours and try a bunch of annoying, "been there, done that", troubleshooting tasks, first :rolleyes:

Agreed, i still say its a software issue. Im going to throw Win8 Dev preview on my box and see if it happens with that tonight.

Hey, I had two bad FX-8120's in a row. I tested them using OCCPT and AMD Overdrive. Tested them both at stock speeds with stock voltages. The first one I had failed on Core 00, Core 03 and Core 05, no matter the voltage. The current one has Core 07 failing after a few minutes of stress testing at stock voltage (1.3v) I upped the voltage to 1.38 and it passed the AMD OverDrive test. I'm really thinking that AMD is miss-binning FX-6100's and FX-4100's as FX-8120s, as I've only heard of these issues with the 8120(which you CAN buy) as opposed to with the 8150 (which is more rare than the GTX590 and the Radeon 6990).

I really wish Kyle still had the "Ask AMD" thread up, I'd love to ask AMD about the wave of defective 8120's.

Anybody with FX-4100's or FX-6100's having these issues?

Also, if you have an FX chip, I highly recommend running OCCPT or AMD OverDrive to stress test your chip and see if it really is an FX-6100/FX-4100 remarked as an 8120.

mine passes with flying colors at 4.6ghz 8120.

i can clock it up to 5ghz with out a problem as well, but it will make my antec fans kick up alot and make alot of noise. Seeing at it runs everything perfectly at 4.6ghz and there are hardly any gains by going to 5ghz, i leave at 4.6ghz.

Also, if you have an FX chip, I highly recommend running OCCPT or AMD OverDrive to stress test your chip and see if it really is an FX-6100/FX-4100 remarked as an 8120.

I'll try these specific tests, but usually I just use y-cruncher stress test, which runs flawlessly for me at 4.5ghz...

Last edited:
Hey, I had two bad FX-8120's in a row. I tested them using OCCPT and AMD Overdrive. Tested them both at stock speeds with stock voltages. The first one I had failed on Core 00, Core 03 and Core 05, no matter the voltage. The current one has Core 07 failing after a few minutes of stress testing at stock voltage (1.3v) I upped the voltage to 1.38 and it passed the AMD OverDrive test. I'm really thinking that AMD is miss-binning FX-6100's and FX-4100's as FX-8120s, as I've only heard of these issues with the 8120(which you CAN buy) as opposed to with the 8150 (which is more rare than the GTX590 and the Radeon 6990).

I really wish Kyle still had the "Ask AMD" thread up, I'd love to ask AMD about the wave of defective 8120's.

Anybody with FX-4100's or FX-6100's having these issues?

I am going to say something to you, chill out with some of the stuff you are saying as facts.

A very vocal minority can really make things out to be something they are not.

I contacted Steam about the games that I had issues with. This is what Steam Support replied with:

Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue.

We are aware of the problem and are investigating the issue further.

For news regarding the latest updates and patches, please check the SteamPowered News page:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/

To me I think you have other problems. Maybe the board ...ram.. You think AMD does not stress the cpus and test them before its released? Both Intel and AMD cpu's go through a test much more than your stock settings you say and have to pass them all with leeway.

Well Kyle had issues with the BD chips dropping cores in his review. There is a thing called APM that needs to be disabled in the bios to stop it from happening I believe he said. Might want to read the [H] review to see what was the culprit.

BD crashing in games is a bug in the CPU, it has nothing to do with SW. AMD is investigating the issue, was able to recreate it ( Shogun triggers it all of the time causing the CPU to deadlock ). Hopefully the problem will be solved through a microcode update ( either in the form of a new BIOS or a patch from AMD ).

If not, you need to wait for a future revision/stepping.

Anyone heard anything at all from AMD concerning this issue? Getting tired of switching chips to play certain games and this Noctua NT-H1 isn't cheap!

Yep I thought I had it fixed, now some games are crashing again.

I've tried manually overclocking @ 3.9, 4.2 and 4.6. It happens at all OCed speeds. All those speeds will pass OCCT. In addition, I've turbo core off, AOD, and low power states.

I'm about to give this chip to a friend to play with and drop a Thuban in my AMD rig instead.

That brings back old memories, with my first AMD CPU. It was K6-2. They had a problem with a batch of those. Some games were played without any problems, but some, like Falcon 4.0 were just crashing.

Seems, that now it might be same thing - botched batch of CPUs. I'd contact AMD and ask what's going on and if they have solution.

anyone crashing with the new Saints Row 3 initiation station demo when it launches?

i cant get it to launch it just hard crashes my system, i tried to disable crossfire and it didnt help so im curious if its also the bulldozer causing the issue

I am going to say something to you, chill out with some of the stuff you are saying as facts.

A very vocal minority can really make things out to be something they are not.

What? Unreal.

So are you calling him a liar then? Are you saying he is lying about the tests he ran and the bad cores he found? As far as I can tell you must be, cause if he isn't lying then his results sure seem like facts to me.

anyone crashing with the new Saints Row 3 initiation station demo when it launches?

i cant get it to launch it just hard crashes my system, i tried to disable crossfire and it didnt help so im curious if its also the bulldozer causing the issue

I'd be willing to wager its the same issue as we're having with other games....

btw, silly question (maybe), but how do we know when they come up with a solution to all of this? Like...Idk what to look at on their site or whatever. My process so far is just to try the game (Deus Ex) every time Steam says "Finished downloading Deus Ex" (indicating an update), but no dice so far....only one update that I know of and it changed nothing.

What? Unreal.

So are you calling him a liar then? Are you saying he is lying about the tests he ran and the bad cores he found? As far as I can tell you must be, cause if he isn't lying then his results sure seem like facts to me.

I think he was referring to the part about AMD mis-binning their chips. Its one thing to state that you got 2 bad chip in a row, but to say AMD is making that huge of a mistake,while not impossible, is a little extreme. It could possibly be misleading to people. Its not based upon any facts other than he got 2 bad chips (which may not have been bad CPUs at all...could be bad BIOS or other factors).

I don't see any part that implied the person is a liar.

Yea, I've found BC2 seems to like it. But doesn't really solve your other issues...I'm sure you want to play more than one game :p I would run a battery of stress tests on it for about 60 minutes each, including (but not limited to) prime95 and y-cruncher, and at least one or two loops of memtest86. If it fails any of them, clear cmos and try it with everything stock/default. If it still fails, then you know what's bad and will need to start an RMA. If not, I don't know, because I can't think of anything that's going to get past those tests. SSDs can cause BSOD, also...If you have another hard drive to test with, you can eliminate that, as well, but pretty sure SSD problems are usually pretty random and can't be easily reproduced.

As for me, 99% of everything runs perfectly, but 2 games...Debating if those 2 games are worth the hassle of putting my 1100t back in, or purchasing the $1600 worth of intel/nvidia gear in my newegg cart :confused:

Just out of curiosity, did you in fact re-install Windows 7 after putting the FX-8120 into your machine, or did you just boot it up and let Windows detect new hardware? There's always the possibility that you need to perform a clean install of Windows. After all, this is a very different CPU from the Phenom II, it's not just a Phenom II derivative. Just a thought.

Just out of curiosity, did you in fact re-install Windows 7 after putting the FX-8120 into your machine, or did you just boot it up and let Windows detect new hardware? There's always the possibility that you need to perform a clean install of Windows. After all, this is a very different CPU from the Phenom II, it's not just a Phenom II derivative. Just a thought.

Well I have installed Win 7 64 so many times that I am sick of installing it trying to figure out what could be the culprit. The cpu's just have some bug that doesn't allow them to run certain games. Funny thing is that most of the games are ones that come free with AMD videocards.

Back