Games for Small LAN

cooter

Gawd
At work we have a weekly small lunch and game hour. We get 60 minutes to play whatever games that we want.

I would like some recommendations on new games. We are currently playing Farcry in Assault mode, which everyone enjoys (except the guy that accused two of us of using aimbots).

Here is a list of criteria:

1. Should have a LAN mode, rules are we can't connect to an outside server. would like a dedicated server game.
2. Should be cheap, a bunch of ppl need to buy it and not all of them are loaded. We are trying to keep it to about $10, although I will listen to any $20 suggestions as well.
3. Should support anywhere from 6 to 16 gamers.
4. Make sure that the game is set up where users are not idle for to long, again we only have an hour, so if a user dies, they should not have to sit and wait for 15 minutes.
5. Most of the people here have pretty fast computers so hardware requirements are not an issue, everyone has discrete graphics and most have Core i7 computers.
6. Any game type would be good, obviously FPS is good, but we are not against anything else.

Thanks for the idea!

Quake 3 Arena, Team Deathmatch or Team Arena game types. This is one of my all time favorite games for a small group to pick up and play. All of the maps are pretty small and great for a handful of people.

Last edited:
Quake 3 Arena, Team Deathmatch or Team Arena game types. This is one of my all time favorite games for a small group to pick up and play. All of the maps are pretty small and great for a handful of people.

Id second this. As well as UT(99) or 2004 were fast paced similar games.

Could also hook up some old school Starcraft or other RTS games :D (CnC series etc..)

I noticed on Steam that Quake III is $19.99 and UT2004 is $15. Those are what we have been tossing around as idea's.

I am going to look more into suicide survival as well.

Any other ideas.

Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour
We've had fun in the past with Motocross Madness 2, play keep away with the beach ball

Flatout was a huge hit last time we played
Serious Sam was as well
Hm... Unreal Tournament
Left 4 dead wasn't that big of a hit surprisingly
Counter Strike was a major hit

Tread Marks. Just a lot of fun.

Tread Marks is an Off-Road Battle Tank Racing and Combat game. Unlike most off-road racing games, in Tread Marks you can actually put holes and scorch marks in the terrain, which last for as long as the race does and don't hurt performance. With a suitably powerful weapon, you can even dig yourself a new canyon, or level a significant chunk of the map!

Looks like Counter Strike, UT2k4, and Quake 3 seem to be a common theme. I'll try to push one of the. I'll also look at that suicide survival because for most of us it would be free.

Yeah you can find a lot of deals on steam, but at the same time there are quite a few deals not on steam ;) I wouldn't limit yourself to purchasing game soley off of it.

We had a vote and decided to go with Counter Strike Source, UT3 or 2004 would have been the second choice.

2004 is far better than ut3, approve of css! :D

Even though I was good at UT 2004 I didn't care for the floatyness compared to the original UT, ohhh well.

CSS is agood choice though too, maybe pick up some gun-game maps and have at it :)

Back