Games that 'everyone' hates... but you love! (warning- play nicely)

Wave Race? I thought everyone liked that game?

And it seems like more people liked Pilotwings on N64 than they did the one on SNES.

Oh ok good point. One could argue lack of sales and the growing popularity of consoles persuaded EA to sit on those rights however. Also I'd like to throw another fuck EA into the mix for good measure.

true. but i then think about how popular a game needs to be for ea sports to turn a profit on it... and for ea sports, that also means turning that profit in 1 year, because the next year they gotta spit out the same crap with an updated label on it. :rolleyes: :( i think they make SO much money on madden, especially since they stopped putting development into it years ago, that most other games for them look like a bad business model...

DOD:S

Horrible hit reg, horrible random COF, horrible damage zones (83 in 1) coupled with the horrible hit reg, extra horrible proned hitboxes, extra horrible melee hit detection, exploits and map glitches up the wazoo, horrible POV issues, left/right peek issues. I could go on and on.

But damn that game is fun. I still play it pretty much every day.

Stalker: Both of them are great. I don't understand the amount of hate towards this game at all. I don't think people had enough in them to get far enough into the game and upgrade their weapons to see how truly great this series is.

Front Lines: Fuel of War It had some big warts (grenade launcher spam), but the drones were probably the best anti Sniper/Camper implementation that I've ever seen and I hope another developer use this technique in a future FPS.

FarCry2: It does get a bit repetitive, but for me I just play another game for a while and then go back to it. That solves the representativeness aspect of it.

:(

That game is as damaging to people as addictive gambling.

It's not the game's fault the person is weak minded. Plenty of people play the game extremely casual. Plenty of people are addicted to Halo and other games, but WoW is the popular one to hate on because it is so mainstream :)

Kids? I'm 26 :)

I'm 26 as well but I fell to the WoW addiction bug for a full 2 years. When my kid started stringing together full sentences and I barely knew she could speak... I knew it was time to put the crack-pipe down. Gave it to my 59 year old uncle who's single, rich and retired... Now he's fat & lonely (exaggeration) and owns 8 level 80 characters and has 2 accounts and has over 72,000 gold over all his characters (no joke). And check this... he hates raiding/grouping. Chinese-American gold farmer imo. :cool:
no but seriously, WoW is bad for people with responsibilities.
BTW, I don't think I'm weak minded... but perspective is everything.

I agree.Deus ex.It was suppose to be the bomb,but it was a crap and hard to control.Long and bored me to death.Hint,never finished it.

Pro-wrestling for the NES. Man I loved that game. I can't remember names but I used to love that one wrestler who looked like the Monster from the Black Lagoon. Good times!

I agree.Deus ex.It was suppose to be the bomb,but it was a crap and hard to control.Long and bored me to death.Hint,never finished it.

i think you got the thread mixed up - it's supposed to be about games people hate but you love, not games everyone loves and you hate.

and deus ex was a great game it just had a bit of a learning curve for the controls

What was the game, (can't think of the name and I own it) that was supposed to be one of the first WoW killers, came with supposed Direct X 10 support (that didn't work) and was the most convoluted MMORPG out there. It was free, unless you wanted more bag slots. Instances with blood red portals and easy to solo instances at that... Can't think of the damn name! Talent trees, socketed weapons, pentagram load screens... It's annoying the heck out of me that I can't think of the name... That is a game everyone hates that I leveled up to 42 on.

Back in the day i played the heck out of "Duck Tails" and "The Little Mermaid" for NES. Their entertainment value rivals jiggling boobies.

Duck Tales on NES kicked ass.
Star Wars Rebellion for the PC was awesome as well.
E.T. for the Atari I can beat in under 3 minutes. Awful game but I find it fun. ;) I still have it too. Fully working Atari 2600 with 14 games (Pole Position FTW :D )

Duck Tales on NES kicked ass.
Star Wars Rebellion for the PC was awesome as well.
E.T. for the Atari I can beat in under 3 minutes. Awful game but I find it fun. ;) I still have it too. Fully working Atari 2600 with 14 games (Pole Position FTW :D )

I thought Boxing was fun as well... overhead view... great sound effects.

What was the game, (can't think of the name and I own it) that was supposed to be one of the first WoW killers, came with supposed Direct X 10 support (that didn't work) and was the most convoluted MMORPG out there. It was free, unless you wanted more bag slots. Instances with blood red portals and easy to solo instances at that... Can't think of the damn name! Talent trees, socketed weapons, pentagram load screens... It's annoying the heck out of me that I can't think of the name... That is a game everyone hates that I leveled up to 42 on.

Are you thinking of Vanguard?

Guys, guys!!! COME ON!!!!....... This thread has the potential to be really fun, don't ruin it with answears like "Quake 3 Arena" , "STALKER" etc!............... If you don't really have some really bad game you really liked then really (wow) don't post at all.

Now, with a sense of personal shame, I admit that I have bought (TWICE) for pc Rise of the Robots 2. I was younger then, but before posting I actually re-run it after all this time...

....I played for a couple of hours and then posted. I know I should visit a doctor. But I love it :D

Hellgate: London! I played that game up to level 42 on one character... everyone else hated it by lvl 15.

Here's a Link. This game looks so damn good on paper...!

Last edited:
How about:

The secret of Monkey Island 1990
Nine the last resort 1996+

Friends hated me for playing those when doom or quake was the $hit

Now its
The witcher, since I wont quit playing it 4-5 hours a day

My wife and my friends hate it cause when I replay it I get in that zone where life revolves around Geralt :) Definitly in my top 5 games!!!!! playing it through for the 3rd time in 6 months.

I wasted hours and hours playing Harvest Moon 64. People would ask, what are you playing? I'd say it's a farming game. You grow things and milk cows and get married. They are like, uhh what?

I couldn't get enough of the first X-Men game for the Sega Genesis, fun game.

On the flip side, games people learn to hate after being subjected to your own/others playing it...

Where in the World is Carmen San Diego... Insert Disk 5..Insert Disk 2... damn you! I remember teaming up with a school buddy who's sole job was to manage the disks so we could finish this thing. I don't care where what the state flower of <insert random state> is, just find Carmen! I loathe you apple II GS, but yet play and play again I did, I will find you Carmen (I never did, damn you recess).

And Oregon trail, I remember sitting around the computer lab playing this damn game which was tolerable at the time, but having to hear everyone else playing and shouting out, "jimmy broke his leg, Susie drowned... Shut up, just let me raft my wagon down the river and no longer be subjected to your gleeful squeals! We all learned to regret that game being introduced.

Kirby on Gameboy, whether is was good or not, everyone hates you after listening to the sound of Kirby sucking up the billionth creature, as you are if you have to sit beside some tool playing the game also

An old DOS game Commander Keen, you jump around on a pogo stick the whole time, and like so many games to get to unaccessible places you have to find the glitch in the wall but for this game it equates to jumping on the pogo stick for an eternity trying to catch the spot on the wall and infuriating all your friends with the rhythmic sound of your pogo stick going from small bounce..bigger bounce, BIG bounce, damn missed it, and start all over again

Back