Gamescom 2013 Discussion - Xbox One Edition

Jerome36

2[H]4U
Leading up to Gamescome, Microsoft has updated it's Xbox One game lineup, and has 50 games announced as of today:

A New Generation of Games: Xbox One’s Announced Line-Up

Here are some statistics about Xbox One’s line-up of announced games:

38% of titles are exclusive to Xbox One
37% of titles are brand-new IP
44% of titles will include either timed or exclusive content to Xbox One

Titles in bold are Xbox platform exclusives or exclusively first on Xbox

Titles colored in green will have exclusive or timed exclusive content available on Xbox

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)
Battlefield 4 (DICE, Electronic Arts)
Below (Capy Games, Microsoft Studios)
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Infinity Ward, Activision)
Crimson Dragon (Grounding/Land Ho!, Microsoft Studios)
D4 (Access Games, Microsoft Studios)
Dead Rising 3 (Capcom Vancouver, Microsoft Studios)

Destiny (Bungie, Activision)
Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved (Harmonix, Disney Interactive)
Dragon Age: Inquisition (BioWare, Electronic Arts)
Dying Light (Techland, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
EA SPORTS UFC (EA SPORTS, Electronic Arts)
FIFA 14 (EA SPORTS, Electronic Arts)
Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix, Square Enix)
Forza Motorsport 5 (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft Studios)
Halo Xbox One (343 Industries, Microsoft Studios)

Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft Paris, Ubisoft)
Killer Instinct (Double Helix, Microsoft Studios)
Kinect Sports Rivals (Rare, Microsoft Studios)

Kingdom Hearts III (Square Enix 1st Production Department, Square Enix)
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (TT Games, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
LocoCycle (Twisted Pixel, Microsoft Studios)
Mad Max (Avalanche Studios, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
Madden NFL 25 (EA SPORTS, Electronic Arts)
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Kojima Productions, Konami)
Minecraft: Xbox One Edition (Mojang Studios, Microsoft Studios)
Mirror's Edge 2 (DICE, Electronic Arts)
NBA 2K14 (Visual Concepts, 2K Sports)
NBA LIVE 14 (EA SPORTS, Electronic Arts)
Need for Speed: Rivals (Ghost Games, Electronic Arts)
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (PopCap Games, Electronic Arts)
Powerstar Golf (Zoe Mode, Microsoft Studios)
Project Spark (Microsoft Studios)
Quantum Break (Remedy, Microsoft Studios)
Ryse: Son of Rome (Crytek, Microsoft Studios)

Skylanders: Swap Force (Vicarious Visions, Activision)
Star Wars Battlefront (DICE, Electronic Arts)
Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac Games, Microsoft Studios)
The Crew (Ivory Towers, Ubisoft)
The Elder Scrolls Online (ZeniMax Online Studios, Bethesda Softworks)
The Evil Within (Tango Gameworks, Bethesda Softworks)
The LEGO Movie Videogame (TT Games, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt RED, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment – North America)
Thief (Eidos Montreal, Square Enix)
Titanfall (Respawn Entertainment, Electronic Arts)*
Tom Clancy's The Division (Massive Entertainment, Ubisoft)
Watch Dogs (Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (MachineGames, Bethesda Softworks)
Zoo Tycoon (Frontier Developments Ltd., Microsoft Studios)
Zumba Fitness: World Party (Zoë Mode, Majesco)

*Titanfall will also be available for PC

Xbox.com

I made the Xbox one exclusives/timed exclusives red, because it was a little hard to distinguish when they were just bold.

Fable Legends, which was recently discovered due to domain listings, has been officially announced at Microsoft's Gamescom press conference. It will be a multiplayer game, with more details coming shortly. Likely, during this week's Gamescom.

JoyStiq.com

I haven't played the third yet (although I downloaded it for free on XBL), and the multiplayer in Fable II was pretty bad. Hopefully they do a much better job with this one.

Microsoft starts 'Independent Developers @ Xbox' self-publishing program

Microsoft has announced a self-publishing program for independent developers to get their games on Xbox One. Applications to join "Independent Developers @ Xbox" (or "ID@Xbox") are available widely starting today (xbox.com/id), though Microsoft tells Joystiq it is prioritizing developers with a proven track record during the initial stages of the program, which begins this fall.

Once accepted into the program, ID@Xbox participants will receive two Xbox One development kits at no cost, along with full access to Achievements, the Xbox Live toolset, cloud services, Kinect and SmartGlass for use in their games.

Full JoyStiq.com Article

Giving indie developers access to achievements is something I thought they should have been doing when achievements were introduced on the 360... even if it was less than the 200 XBLA get. Getting two free development kits is really nice. I wonder how many devs will qualify?

I haven't played the third yet (although I downloaded it for free on XBL), and the multiplayer in Fable II was pretty bad. Hopefully they do a much better job with this one.

Mutliplayer is a huge focus for the new Fable. Fable Legacy is like a fantasy L4D. You have 4 heroes and a 5th player can use Smart Glass. The 5th will be pretty much a DM or what they call the villain. He can summon monsters and place traps.

Ryse revised: How Crytek altered combat for the better

Many people really latched onto Ryse: Son of Rome's execution system when Crytek showed off the game at E3 earlier this year – but probably not in the way the developer wanted them to. Ryse's executions, which grant the player various in-game perks – and see protagonist Marius stabbing, gouging, slicing, bashing and otherwise maiming barbarians – are performed via short quick time events. Even though the majority of Ryse's combat has an ebb and flow similar to the Batman Arkham games – flurries of attacks sprinkled with timely parries – many prospective players, myself included, worried about the QTE-infused combat getting stale.

Crytek has responded to those concerns, and the build of Ryse being shown at Gamescom has a significantly altered execution system. Gone are the garish button prompts. Instead, enemies are subtly highlighted with the color of the appropriate button: Yellow for the shield (y) and blue for the sword (X). By watching Marius' animations and keeping an eye out for each color, I easily slipped into the rhythm of various executions, something I can't say about the E3 build I played in June.

Full JoyStiq.com Article

Sounds like a nice, small tweak/change, and that it has improved since the E3 build.

Mutliplayer is a huge focus for the new Fable. Fable Legacy is like a fantasy L4D. You have 4 heroes and a 5th player can use Smart Glass. The 5th will be pretty much a DM or what they call the villain. He can summon monsters and place traps.

Huhh.... I hope they make a similar game for the Wii U. Seems like it would be a perfect place for it.

All Xbox One pre-orders in Europe get FIFA 14

At Microsoft's Gamescom showcase, it was revealed that all European Xbox One pre-orders will receive a free copy of FIFA 14. Even pre-orders that have already been placed will be upgraded with a free copy of the game.

JoyStiq.com

Pretty sweet news, if you live in Europe and like the FIFA franchise. It'd be awesome if they did something like this in N. America, though I'm sure it's mainly because Microsoft knows they have a much bigger challenge, selling consoles in Europe, then in the US and Canada.

selling consoles in Europe

They aren't even launching in many european countries and the ps4+game is still cheaper.

If they offer europe a free game, they should offer USA as well. This strategy makes no sense to me.

They aren't even launching in many european countries and the ps4+game is still cheaper.

If they offer europe a free game, they should offer USA as well. This strategy makes no sense to me.

I'm pretty certain that the free game is for people that preordered the console, only for it not to be released this holiday season in their country. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm getting out of this.

Characters cost $5 in F2P version of Killer Instinct

Microsoft announced its pricing structure for the upcoming Xbox One fighting game Killer Instinct, revealing that additional characters will be priced at $4.99 apiece.

Killer Instinct will be available as a free download for the Xbox One at the console's launch, and will include a single playable character. A $19.99 "Combo Breaker Pack" unlocks the game's full roster of eight characters, including two exclusive fighters that are not initially available for individual purchase.

Players can also opt for the $39.99 Ultra Edition, which bundles all playable characters, a collection of accessory and costume packs, and the original 1994 arcade version of Killer Instinct.

JoyStiq.com

I'm not a big fan of the free to play model, but I don't think this sound bad. All characters, for the season, for 20 bucks, and if you spend $40 you get all the characters, additional accessories and costumes, and the 1994 arcade version of the game. Not mentioned in the article is that, although not available at launch, they're working on an online play update for the 1994 arcade version. Also, if you only buy a couple characters, but then decide you want the entire game, you only have to pay what is required to "top off" the game. You'll never pay more then $20 for everything (YouTube Interview w/ Ken Lobb).

I'm not a big fan of the free to play model, but I don't think this sound bad. All characters, for the season, for 20 bucks, and if you spend $40 you get all the characters, additional accessories and costumes, and the 1994 arcade version of the game. Not mentioned in the article is that, although not available at launch, they're working on an online play update for the 1994 arcade version. Also, if you only buy a couple characters, but then decide you want the entire game, you only have to pay what is required to "top off" the game. You'll never pay more then $20 for everything (YouTube Interview w/ Ken Lobb).

I don't know much about this game, as it really doesn't interest me, what does a "season" mean. Is it a tournament schedule? Does that mean that what you purchase only lasts for the season in which you purchased it?

The game is being broken-up/rolled out in seasons. A second season has already been confirmed for 2014, and will add another 8 characters. I haven't seen anything that says previous characters don't carry over. They're just adding more to the game. The Combo Breaker Pack is the equivalent of a season pass, found in other games, where you pay once, up front, and get access to all the content rolled out during the course of the season.

Perhaps there will be tournament stuff for the season, and when the next season comes they will reset things, but I don't know. I honestly haven't read too much about it. I thought I heard their goal is to have three seasons. That would mean, should you decide to buy everything and when it's all said and done, you'll have spent the price of a regular, retail game. Maybe they hope to go beyond three seasons (I don't know), but there's certainly examples of F2P games out there, that if you want everything, or you want to reach a certain goal in a reasonable amount of time, you'll have ended up spending far more than $60 bucks. It's part of the reason why I don't particularly care for this model. It sounds like they're going about it the right way though.

Last edited:
Well that first segment was lame, but now they're talking Titanfall. I don't think there's going to be anything really worthwhile, during this show, until the very end (should they actually announce dates and what not).

Well that first segment was lame, but now they're talking Titanfall. I don't think there's going to be anything really worthwhile, during this show, until the very end (should they actually announce dates and what not).

That would an anticlimitic way to announce a release date

Good to know. I've been waiting for devs to fold the GM into the RPG mix again since NWN.

Wow... all that and they don't even give an actual release date. Just "this November," and closing things with a new trailer for Watch Dogs.

For 90% of it I was eating lunch and just listening to the audio. I'm glad I didn't actually sit through all of that.

Oh, did they do that Xbox One announcement for today? I thought it was supposed to be starting this afternoon or something.

This isn't a Gamescom story, but the other couple Xbox One threads cover some other specific stuff, and this was more for general discussion during Gamescom, and I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this particular story. Anyway, apparently Microsoft is giving Xbox employees a very limited Edition Xbox One (source w/ photos). I think it looks better white... though it's a little weird with the Kinect only having white sides.

This isn't a Gamescom story, but the other couple Xbox One threads cover some other specific stuff, and this was more for general discussion during Gamescom, and I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this particular story. Anyway, apparently Microsoft is giving Xbox employees a very limited Edition Xbox One (source w/ photos). I think it looks better white... though it's a little weird with the Kinect only having white sides.

I think it looks better with the white color too. Honestly, though, the color isn't the BIGGEST problem with the appearance of the Xbox One, although it does make it look less like a VCR.

Back