Gamespy: We Got Next - Part One (Xbox) [Xbox 2 related]

Xenon's GPU is a generation beyond the ATI X800. Its clock speed is 500 MHz and it supports Shader 3.0.

Does that mean the r520 will run at around 500 MHz as well?

Xenon's GPU is a generation beyond the ATI X800
Xenon's hard drive is optional.
Xenon will have a USB 2.0 camera. It's capable of 1.2 megapixel still shots and VGA video. Photos can be used in-game and for gamer profiles. The camera can also be used for video chat.
DirectSound3D has been dropped in favor of X3DAudio.
Microsoft is requiring developers to make all Xenon titles be mandatory Live "aware".
All Xenon games can be played using custom soundtracks.
The baseline is 720p at 1280x720 for gameplay and video clips, 16:9 aspect ratio, 5.1 Surround Sound, and anti-aliasing. These features are the current minimum requirement.
:eek: ..... :eek:

That's pretty impressive. Wonder what the power consumption/heat dissapation is on them. I know that Blue Gene/L uses something like 100,000 PPC 700MHz cores and hits 70TFLOP. Wonder if they'll use this sort of chip in supercomputers or if it uses too much electricity.

Too bad its still all rumors... nothing is official untill MS says so...

LOL my TV only supports 480P or 1080I no 720, so whats that gonna mean? So i hope games will upscan to 1080I, I know at least 10 people with HDTVs and only one friend has 720p Support, They shouldnt even be tinkering with it go right to 1080i or P

1080I doenst look horrible lol! Only newer ones do 1080P im just hoping they really improve this sucker.

Ballz2TheWallz said:
they dont go 1080i because interlaced looks horrible

all these specs were rumored over 6months ago

But Gamespy has evidently gotten these specs straight from developers. I read over at beyond3d that other game sites have confirmed it but didn't want to take heat for leaking them.

So now, what once was rumour is fact. Well, as close as you can get to fact without MS stamping their seal of approval on it.

fear the power of the R5xx series which rapes 850 series and a 3core 3ghz ppc prcessor capable of pulling 6processes per clock

and the XNA has so much power why didnt anyone belive specs before gamespy?

Ballz2TheWallz said:
fear the power of the R5xx series which rapes 850 series and a 3core 3ghz ppc prcessor capable of pulling 6processes per clock

yess...

Im curious as to how it will look. Probably just as big as teh current Xbox
\
Also, if the HDD is optional, will the HDD version be larger then the non HDD version? And how much more would it cost?

Regarding the hardware...

I don't care how fast or wanked out their RAM is. 256 megs is 256 megs, period. Unless they use godawful DXT compression on every texture excepting normal maps (which would use 3dc), they won't be able to stuff enough media assets into memory. There are only so many tricks you can pull out of your sleeve.

Ballz2TheWallz said:

and the XNA has so much power why didnt anyone belive specs before gamespy?

if this thing is only going to be 500mhz I don't think there will be any raping...unless it has like 32 pipes....

yeah, I am really dissapointed by the memory too. I am probably going to end up buying a PS3 and Revolution instead.

Blinkme323 said:
yeah, I am really dissapointed by the memory too. I am probably going to end up buying a PS3 and Revolution instead.

Don't count on the other systems having more memory. And don't count on the Revolution to be anything more than a gimmick, as the DS was.

PS3 and XBOX compete against on another. Revolution has a bunch of exclusive titles though. I like my Gamecube a lot but I didn't buy it on launch. I will buy the PS3 when it first comes out and wait until the Revoulion's price drops.

bountyhunter said:
if this thing is only going to be 500mhz I don't think there will be any raping...unless it has like 32 pipes....

You need to not be retarded for a moment and remember that if its doing more work per clock it could absolutly step on everything. Look at the Nvidia or AMD cores vs current ATI and Intel cores. An AMD core going 2.8gig is about equal to an Intel one going 4gig. Nvidia Cores clocked at 450mhz are faster then ATI ones clocked at 550. It all depends on how much its doing. I can tell you right now it will definitly be doing more work then the R420 already, especially with a die shrink, per clock.

Sizer said:
Regarding the hardware...

I don't care how fast or wanked out their RAM is. 256 megs is 256 megs, period. Unless they use godawful DXT compression on every texture excepting normal maps (which would use 3dc), they won't be able to stuff enough media assets into memory. There are only so many tricks you can pull out of your sleeve.

It doesn't have to run XP in the background. It is dumb to equate it to ratios in a PC system.

Tiny said:
It doesn't have to run XP in the background. It is dumb to equate it to ratios in a PC system.
go into task manager when running doom3 at max and find its process and look at its ram usage...thank you

Blinkme323 said:
I like my Gamecube a lot but I didn't buy it on launch. I will buy the PS3 when it first comes out and wait until the Revoulion's price drops.
I pretty much did the same thing. I bought the PS2 first and then got a Gamecube when the price droped because of the great exclusive titles.

Ballz2TheWallz said:
24-32 is suspected,new core
The Xbox 2 GPU is prolly 500Mhz with 24 pipes. The R520 for PC will likely be 700Mhz with 24 pipes. 700Mhz with 32 pipes would be insanely fast, but it is kinda out of reach if you ask me.

trudude said:
The Xbox 2 GPU is prolly 500Mhz with 24 pipes. The R520 for PC will likely be 700Mhz with 24 pipes. 700Mhz with 32 pipes would be insanely fast, but it is kinda out of reach if you ask me.
i HIGHLY HIGHLY DOUBT that there 2nd best core will be 200mhz less then there best thats just stupid

Ballz2TheWallz said:
go into task manager when running doom3 at max and find its process and look at its ram usage...thank you

comprehend my post. thank you.

It is running NOTHING but the game, therefore the ram specs NEED NOT BE as high as you see in PC systems.

:rolleyes:

Tiny said:
comprehend my post. thank you.

It is running NOTHING but the game, therefore the ram specs NEED NOT BE as high as you see in PC systems.

:rolleyes:
you didnt read mine,you can SEE WHAT RAM THE GAME ALONE IS USING along with the overall system

jerk

Ballz2TheWallz said:
you didnt read mine,you can SEE WHAT RAM THE GAME ALONE IS USING along with the overall system

jerk

jerk? Nice and mature.

Why do you think they call them ports? Doom3 on PC is programmed different then if it were on a console. Everyone knows this, they also understand that specs for a console and specs for a PC SHOULD NOT BE COMPAIRED. It is worse than apples and oranges. ugh.

Is the 256 mb shared or does the GPU have it's own dedicated memory?

the current Xbox only has 64MB of ram, and doom3 is coming out for it in 2 months. The game got a 9.3 I thnk in one of my game review magazines. Donot compare a PC to a Console, because they donot have Windows eating up resources.

jmgak47 said:
It is all B/S three cpu's? :rolleyes:

Having three procs in a console would be BS. Having a single three-core proc in a console is not. *biggest imaginable rooleyes goes here*

Jonsey said:
Is the 256 mb shared or does the GPU have it's own dedicated memory?

256mb is for the system alone, the GPU uses its own cache.

R520 is 24pipes, its already been confirmed.

Shifra said:
256mb is for the system alone, the GPU uses its own cache.

R520 is 24pipes, its already been confirmed.
its shared....cache and ram are differnt god, if you wanna bitch with me take it to xboxscene forums where people who actually have a clue on this post

Ballz2TheWallz said:

jerk

The PS2 has "only" 32mb of system memory and look what it's capable of. Stop comparing this to a PC.

Ballz2TheWallz said:
its shared....cache and ram are differnt god, if you wanna bitch with me take it to xboxscene forums where people who actually have a clue on this post

Dude, if everyone here is so "inferior" why don't you just go back to your xboxscene?

I don't really like the idea that the hard drive is optional. The regular version better be quite a bit cheaper than the HD version, and I really hope that you can add an HD to it later on if you decide you want one.

Back