Gametrailers GOTY...

Zellio2010

Limp Gawd
Haven't noticed a topic on this... So here we go.

For PS3 GOTY: Modern Warfare 2 http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-ps3-gt-goty/60272
For 360 GOTY: Modern Warfare 2 http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-xbox-gt-goty/60273
PC GOTY: Make a guess (Modern Warfare 2) http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-pc-gt-goty/60271
Overall GOTY: Modern Warfare 2 :\ http://www.gametrailers.com/video/game-of-gt-goty/60274

What does everyone think of this big pile of (bribe money sent to GT from activision) crap?

(BTW, the ps3 and pc footage of Modern Warfare 2 apparantly uses 360 footage of the game)

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why they don't keep the best PC/360/PS3 games exclusive and simply make a "Best multiplatform game" award. I also find it puzzling how the PS3 got the award for best software lineup yet 4 of the nominees were multiplatform....

Best Shooter...sure, but overall best game? It doesn't feel like it to me.

Big WTF to Uncharted 2 not being GOTY, that game was fucking off the rails crazy!

....Rageworthy. Someone got sent a big bloody pile of money for that kind of review. Game of the year? My ass. $10 more expensive on PC then it should be, no dedicated servers, draconian DRM, castrated gameplay and options in the name of preventing piracy and it still is riddled with cheats. In my opinion it isn't even worth pirating, much less GOTY ony ANY platform. Citing it on PC is just a bloody insult.

Are you shitting me? I used to have some small amount of faith in Gametrailers.

This is just insulting.

I could maybe, MAYBE understand it winning GOTY for the 360, since the 360 is a pile of crap, and everyone who owns one seems to have a giant hard-on for MW2

BUT ALL 3 PLATFORMS? AND OVERALL GOTY?

REAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY?

Yea they got paid off or Game Trailers are such giant fan boys it's asinine to call them a legitimate review site..

Best Shooter contender yea of course, but best overall PS3 game? Not a fucking chance.

An obvious payoff... I would have believed MW2 getting GOTY on one, maybe two platforms, but three reeks shennanegens -- especially with the quality games that were released this year.

MW2 is derivative to the ump-teenth level, single player short and multiplayer support botched. It's a fun game, but doesn't hold a candle to the overall polish of Uncharted 2 and Batman or originality of Demon's Souls.

do you even trust them?

this is the same website that host a show where a tool said no one has a pc as powerful as a ps3... its the same website that mostly review console games .....its the same website that has more ads than a taxicab in vegas....

I like watching gametrailers from time to time... but I dont trust them, way too corporate

They must be confusing "Total Sales" with "GotY".

Madden YY has sold more copies than HalfLife 2. But I doubt anyone other than someone who only plays sports games would argue that it is better.

do you even trust them?

this is the same website that host a show where a tool said no one has a pc as powerful as a ps3... its the same website that mostly review console games .....its the same website that has more ads than a taxicab in vegas....

I like watching gametrailers from time to time... but I dont trust them, way too corporate

I wouldn't call them corporate, or console leaning...

If they leaned PS3 or 360, they would've voted Uncharted 2 for PS3. All this shows is that the GT staff is incompetant and will vote for whoever sends them money.

Haven't noticed a topic on this... So here we go.

For PS3 GOTY: Modern Warfare 2 http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-ps3-gt-goty/60272
For 360 GOTY: Modern Warfare 2 http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-xbox-gt-goty/60273
PC GOTY: Make a guess (Modern Warfare 2) http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-pc-gt-goty/60271
Overall GOTY: Modern Warfare 2 :\ http://www.gametrailers.com/video/game-of-gt-goty/60274

What does everyone think of this big pile of (bribe money sent to GT from activision) crap?

Easy: This site has no credibility whatsoever. None.

Dragon Age didn't win best RPG and didn't even get a nomination for Game of the Year PC (I think). GT used to be good, a long ass time ago. On PS3, Uncharted 2 takes a bunch of awards then loses to MW2...yeah nothing happening there.

This is the same site that wouldn't nominate Crysis for best graphics because they couldn't get it to run max on their machines LOL!

and didn't even get a nomination for Game of the Year PC (I think).
It did, I just watched the video.

Though most game journalism sites are a joke really, the game publishers have their hand so far up their asses that they are almost like an extension of their PR department. The core of the problem is that 'gaming' still isn't seen by the majority of the public as anything more than a waste of time, so more serious journalism outlets (like some newspapers or magazines etc) don't have a "game reviews" section.

The game industry has long surpassed Hollywood in revenues, multiple games each year surpass the largest hollywood blockbusters in just one day of sales - ideally you should be able to pick up a newspaper and see a game reviews section. This is why there are so many game review/discussion websites in the first place - but they lack the kind of funding a newspaper or legit magazine might have, so it leaves space for publishers to come in with their money hats and call the shots on the game review websites.

Even the most successful game review websites (like gamespot) are not immune (see the kane and lynch bribery fiasco for example).

Just updated the OP. Apparantly the PS3 and PC versions of Modern Warfare 2 are using 360 footage.

Sad, mw2 for goty is an effing joke for all 3 platforms.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

That's pretty sad, although I never watch that site for reviews. The only gaming site I really care about these days is giantbomb.com.

I honesty don't think MW2 should win GOTY on any platform. For the PS3, a contender should be Uncharted 2.

why do people care so much? if YOU like a game then thats all that matters. I dont buy games, movies, cars or anything else just because somebody claims they are the product of the year.

why do people care so much? if YOU like a game then thats all that matters. I dont buy games, movies, cars or anything else just because somebody claims they are the product of the year.

Because I do like to read reviews beforehand to gain at least a little information before I go and buy a game.

I used to like Gametrailers, but after this, I have about 0 respect left for them.

Musta been a pretty fuckin slow year.

This does not please Bennet.

2565383450_d35aca722b.jpg

Because I do like to read reviews beforehand to gain at least a little information before I go and buy a game.

I used to like Gametrailers, but after this, I have about 0 respect left for them.
I do too but I learned long ago that reviews from sites that take advertising dollars are not always accurate. just look past the hype of that game at the actual user reviews on metacritic. Modern Warfare 2 is one of the lowest user rated games ever and thats true for all platforms.

PC 2.3/10 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/modernwarfare2?q=modern warfare 2
PS3 5.4/10 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/modernwarfare2?q=modern warfare 2
XBOX360 6.0/10 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/modernwarfare2?q=modern warfare 2

the pc getting a 2.3 makes sense because of the dedicated server issues and whatnot. the average console player usually puts up with anything though so a game being user rated below 6 means it must really suck.

also game of the year is a personal choice anyway and its not like they are saying other games suck. for instance I care nothing about multi player so Modern Warfare 2 would not appeal to me like it would most other gamers.

Last edited:
No kidding, at least Gamespot picked Demon's Souls as GOTY... I guess they haven't completely sold out ... yet.

Cya later though, Gametrailers.

/thread

GameTrailers/GTTV
MTV Networks
2600 Colorado Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Main: 310.752.8340
www.gametrailers.com

Its owned by MTV networks! Yeah there you go that explains everything.

How much did they get paid to do it I wonder..

MW2 is definitely not GOTY, its fun for shoot and run type of arcade game, but its shouldn't even stay on top of top 5 or even top 10.

The storyline is completely retarded and none sense, and MP is just boring and not even playable for most of the competitive players.

its sad on PS3 platform, Uncharted 2 and other games that should have take the award where they deserve it..

on PC is even worse... I remember IGN gave it to Dragon Age, which they deserve it...

There's no way they could have chosen the same game for all FOUR awards unless they were paid to do so.

I've never seen anything like that before.

They needed some site to do it so they can make a rehash game of the year edition, AMIRITE? Also so they can boast about "from the makers of the GOTY modern warfare 2, comes modern warfare 3!!!". God damn bobby kotick.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I would say that because indirectly, it will affect future game development. If a game that a lot of actual players dislike wins awards like that, too many people (and I'm sure I've done it) won't need to look past that much if they are looking for something new and are ignorant of a more broader measure of a game's worth. Ergo, developer/publisher of a substandard game reap more profit and are able to continue producing subpar games at the expense of inventive, creative, original or just plain fun games from other developers that get less press.

Just because YOU don't care about that sort of thing doesn't mean everyone behaves the same way, and that's bad for all of us.

Talk about pissing away all your credibility in one go...

+1.

I think this process was just trying to agree with the mass market instead of trying critically review the year as a whole. No evaluation involved.

I'd say Uncharted 2 or Batman:AA are the best candidates for GOTY. MW2 is fun but it's mainly just a repackaging of the original, not a notable game. Certainly not one to be remember years from now.

Error: Unexpected GOTY in line 1. Saw 'MW2', expected 'Uncharted 2'.
Error: Unexpected GOTY in line 2. Saw 'MW2', expected 'something which didn't take 5h to play through'.

Wow, holy crap I used to go to GT for all my game reviews but jeez........this is just insulting.

My god......I am like stunned atm. Demon Souls should have gotten GOTY on PS3 or at least uncharted 2.

I lost respect and confidence in them when they said FEAR 2 had photo realistic graphics in their review of it. lol

Back