Gaming Build $2000~ recommendations

NIZMOZ

2[H]4U
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing?

Gaming primary FPS, Black Ops, BF3,. BF4, so on.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$2400~, no

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

USA, Texas

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

RAM, CPU, MOTHERBOARD, Case, Powersupply, Blu-RAy burner/cdrw, Monitor (27") or two to either go with my current Apple Cinema 27" or sell the Apple and get two identical ones, NVIDIA video card

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Alienware Gaming Keyboard and G500 mouse. Maybe 27" Apple Cinema Display see above.

6) Will you be overclocking?

Maybe

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

Min. 27" Display with 2560x1440. Currently have Apple Cinema 27", and would like to add another to match it or buy two good monitors and sell the Cinema.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Within the next 30 days when I sell the IMAC.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

RAID, SLI, USB 3.0, SATA 6GB, All the latest stuff. Bluetooth, Ethernet ports. Designed for OC and multiple cards.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes, Win7 64 Bit Enterprise or Win8 Pro both 64 bit

Okay, so I just sold 3 months ago my bad ass gaming rig. And got a IMAC 27" It works, but I am noticing the gaming issues with it and I want to get my rig again. I would like to have this system be quiet, stay cool, and look good. I like the Aluminum look of the newer cases I have seen. I had a HAF-X case last and it was huge, heavy, and didn't fit well with my desk. So looking for something built well, filters, and can fit a lot for the size. I want performance as well.

Like I have mentioned above, I have a 27" Apple Cinema display now. Only a year old, and I can either add a monitor to it, or sell it and get two 27" screens that match. This monitor is so sharp and responsive that it is nice. But if I can get something equal for the cost I can sell this used, and have two, that would work.

FPS gaming is what I do. I had a 680 GTX on my last system. Let me know what you guys think and what I can get.

Last edited:
Here's a preliminary build:
$226 - Intel Core i5-4670K CPU
$190 - MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING Intel Z87 Motherboard
$123 - Crucial BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00 Ballistix Sport 2 x 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$410 - Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB PCI-E Video Card
$235 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
$92 - Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$84 - Corsair Hydro H80i Liquid Cooling System
$150 - Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 750W Modular PSU
---
Total: $1510 plus tax and shipping

Case wise, I recommend the following cases since they're quiet and can provide enough cooling for a SLI setup:
$140 - Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-W ATX case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-WA ATX case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B-USB3.0 ATX Case

As for your monitors, best ask that over in the Displays subforum.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the list. The IMac sold. So I am definite need to order te stuff soon as I am on my laptop now. Why would you choose the i5 vs the i7? Also the video card 2gb vs 4gb?

Why would you choose the i5 vs the i7?
Because you're only gaming. The i7 is a tad faster in games but not fast enough to justify the extra $100. Now if you were doing a ton of video or 3D editing/rendering, then the i7 would be totally worth it. But for gaming? Not worth it IMO.
Also the video card 2gb vs 4gb?
Brain fart on my part. The 4GB model is only $40 more and still within your budget:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CU9GOAO/?tag=extension-kb-20

I think I would change a few things.

RAM: G.Skill 2x4gb DDR3 1333 $65 No real need for 16gb to game for the next couple of years IMO

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128gb $140 You are going to get a 2TB drive for storage so no need for a 256gb OS drive IMO

Video Card: EVGA GTX 780 $660 Has 3gb VRAM and will do you better at 1440p

Total cost is $865 vs. $808 for the same components (I added the $40 for the 4gb 770) in the build Danny did.

If you aren't going to OC a lot I'd change out that watercooler to a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO and save some money there as well.

8GB of RAM should be enough but considering that RAM pricing has been going up and up and the fact that we can't exactly predict what the OP plans on using his PC for, I figure might as well recommend 16GB of RAM before it gets even higher priced. With that said, I don't recommend a 2 x 4GB set in the first place since it limits your max RAM upgrade.

AS for the SSD, if you're the type that plans on installing a lot of games, that 256GB gives you a bit more leeway in fast loading games. However, if the OP wants to make room in the budget for the GTX 780 3GB, then the 128GB will be ok.

I would personally get myself the 256gb SSD min. I run low on space with the 256gb. Maybe 100gb left or less than that now on my Gaming laptop. It also has a 500gb hd for storage but the games these days take up a lot of space.

I do some video editing and especially picture editing. So that is also important to a point. But the computer is mostly used for games.

Budget is now $2200-$2400. :)

I think I would change a few things.

RAM: G.Skill 2x4gb DDR3 1333 $65 No real need for 16gb to game for the next couple of years IMO

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128gb $140 You are going to get a 2TB drive for storage so no need for a 256gb OS drive IMO

Video Card: EVGA GTX 780 $660 Has 3gb VRAM and will do you better at 1440p

Total cost is $865 vs. $808 for the same components (I added the $40 for the 4gb 770) in the build Danny did.

If you aren't going to OC a lot I'd change out that watercooler to a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO and save some money there as well.

Then definitely get a GTX 680 as DooKey recommended.

8GB of RAM should be enough but considering that RAM pricing has been going up and up and the fact that we can't exactly predict what the OP plans on using his PC for, I figure might as well recommend 16GB of RAM before it gets even higher priced. With that said, I don't recommend a 2 x 4GB set in the first place since it limits your max RAM upgrade.

AS for the SSD, if you're the type that plans on installing a lot of games, that 256GB gives you a bit more leeway in fast loading games. However, if the OP wants to make room in the budget for the GTX 780 3GB, then the 128GB will be ok.

Also don't SSD's get slower as you fill them up? I usually read people regret getting anything lower than 256GB.

Here is a build I did. What do you guys think? I still questioning the motherboard as it was a combo deal so not sure how good that board is? Need to order today or tomorrow so tell me!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gl39
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gl39/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gl39/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($103.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste ($9.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER Max ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($267.13 @ TigerDirect)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($122.22 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($110.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2264.24
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-13 18:46 EDT-0400)

Overpriced for what it is.
- You're only gaming so really no need for that i7.
- That motherboard is also a bit overkill as well.
- With Intel setups, there's little to no real world performance increases in gaming with higher speed RAM. So that DDR3 1866 RAM is not worth getting over the DDR3 1333 RAM set

If you stick with my original recommendations, you can afford a second GTX 770 card for GTX 770 SLI.

I am not only gaming. I plan to do some video editing and photoshop on this PC. I also use it for IT related stuff (VMWARE).

i7 is definitely a change I wanted to happen so I put that in. The other stuff is optional and I can make changes. The case is another thing I am thinking about. Maybe getting the XL R2 instead for more space?

I rather have a single 780 over the 770 as the performance increase is large. The 770 is just a 680.

Also, on the ram, there is no 1333 of the 16gb size ram. Lowest is 1600 and even then, that is so close to the 1866 that cost difference didn't matter. A few bucks.

Here is the changed build so far. What do you think about a sound card? Should I add one? I have a little room left in the budget.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($103.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($187.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($122.22 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Titanium Grey) ATX Full Tower Case ($124.76 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2198.87

I am not only gaming. I plan to do some video editing and photoshop on this PC. I also use it for IT related stuff (VMWARE).
You never mentioned any of that in your answer to question 1 of the sticky. Are you just saying all of that just to justify the Core i7?

The case is another thing I am thinking about. Maybe getting the XL R2 instead for more space?
Not really since the extra space isn't actually all that useful. Not to mention that its cooling is virtually the same as the Fractal Design R4. I still highly recommend the Silverstone cases since those do offer better cooling than the Fractal cases. Yes the pricing for the FT02 is justified IMO.
I rather have a single 780 over the 770 as the performance increase is large. The 770 is just a 680.
But two GTX 770 SLI is going to be faster than a single GTX 780.
Also, on the ram, there is no 1333 of the 16gb size ram.
Then what is this?:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006YG9EEW/?tag=hardfocom-20

What do you think about a sound card? Should I add one? I have a little room left in the budget.
If you have moderate to high-end speakers and are a bit of an audiophile, yes you should get a separate sound card.

As for the PSU, it is a bit overkill for your needs. A solid 750W PSU would be more than enough. As such, I'd recommend the Corsair AX750 instead since it's of higher quality than the Corsair HX850 you chose and will still be enough power.

The stock thermal paste/pad that comes with the Corsair H100i is actually pretty decent. So really no need for that extra thermal paste.

Can't seem to get that ram to come up on the PCPartPicker. But is that good ram? I know there isn't much of a heatsink but the timings are nice.

Less issues with one video card. I rather spend for a 780 now and upgrade later to another. Don't need more than 1 card.

I have had all my PC's with i7's, so I rather just keep it that way. I will look into that huge case you say is worth the cost. Hope it has filters and is quiet! :)

The power supply I read about people complaining on WHINE noises? Both are exactly the same cost but 100 more watts on the HX one.

You never mentioned any of that in your answer to question 1 of the sticky. Are you just saying all of that just to justify the Core i7?

Not really since the extra space isn't actually all that useful. Not to mention that its cooling is virtually the same as the Fractal Design R4. I still highly recommend the Silverstone cases since those do offer better cooling than the Fractal cases. Yes the pricing for the FT02 is justified IMO.

But two GTX 770 SLI is going to be faster than a single GTX 780.

Then what is this?:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006YG9EEW/?tag=hardfocom-20

If you have moderate to high-end speakers and are a bit of an audiophile, yes you should get a separate sound card.

As for the PSU, it is a bit overkill for your needs. A solid 750W PSU would be more than enough. As such, I'd recommend the Corsair AX750 instead since it's of higher quality than the Corsair HX850 you chose and will still be enough power.

The stock thermal paste/pad that comes with the Corsair H100i is actually pretty decent. So really no need for that extra thermal paste.

Can't seem to get that ram to come up on the PCPartPicker. But is that good ram? I know there isn't much of a heatsink but the timings are nice.
From what I've read, yes that is good RAM.
Less issues with one video card. I rather spend for a 780 now and upgrade later to another. Don't need more than 1 card.

I have had all my PC's with i7's, so I rather just keep it that way.
Fair enough.
I will look into that huge case you say is worth the cost. Hope it has filters and is quiet! :)
The FT02 is certainly quiet!:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/SilverStone_Fortress_FT02
The power supply I read about people complaining on WHINE noises? Both are exactly the same cost but 100 more watts on the HX one.
Which PSU are you talking about? The HX850 has 70A on the +12V rail. The AX750 has 62A on the +12V rail. So yeah, about 96W more with the HX850 but the AX750 is of higher quality.

The ax series power supply's I was talking about. But it seems this one you recommended maybe okay per the reviews. Gosh the ft02 case is nice, but my water cooler doesn't work with it well (mainly going to throw heat over the cards if mounted on the bottom). Also it's not as quiet per reviews on here. I like the design though......hard decisions.

The fractal design define XL r2 case looks nice to me. Ananda tech has a good review and the thermals are almost as good as the corsair air 540.

Oh and frozen CPU sells a clear side window for it for 50 if you want that later

Okay, I switched around my build a bit. Planning future adding a 2nd card with power to spare after reading what the power requirements are for two 780s.

Switched the case to the Silverstone Black windowed FT-02. What do you guys think? I am still questioning the motherboard vs an Asus. I didn't add a sound card due to my budget already close to max. But the one that comes with the Gigabyte board should be okay I guess?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gApx
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gApx/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gApx/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($198.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone FT02B-W ATX Mid Tower Case ($238.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($225.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $2174.59
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-14 14:08 EDT-0400)

You don't need a 1000W PSU. Even with plans for SLI, you'll be fine with a solid 750W PSU. Unless you're planning on tri-GTX 780 SLI, no need for a 1000W PSU.

As for the motherboard, I'd rather recommend the MSI I mentioned earlier or the Asus Z87-Pro over that Gigabyte.

Per what I read on other forums (TomsHardware and AnAndtech) they said 850w is pushing it too close for two 780s. 1000w was the same price so I decided to get it instead and have some power left over.

I know thats what you rather recommend but you never say why? I see many recommending this Gigabyte over the MSI. So please tell me why as I am going to order stuff in about an hour.

Per what I read on other forums (TomsHardware and AnAndtech) they said 850w is pushing it too close for two 780s. 1000w was the same price so I decided to get it instead and have some power left over.
And this is why I don't trust Tom's: Check it: A heavily OC'd Core i7 3770K with GTX 680 Tri-SLI used around ~738W of power. Yes the GTX 780 does use more power than the GTX 680 but not enough to account for an extra GTX 680's worth of power. This is further backed up by XbitLab's own testing where a heavily OC'd Core i7 3970X with GTX Titan SLI used up to 773W of power.. Remember that their choice of CPU and the GTX Titan uses more power than your choice of CPU and GTX 780 respectively. Again, a GTX 680 TRI-SLI would be fine with a 850W PSU. So a GTX 780 SLI setup will be fine with a 750W PSU.

I know thats what you rather recommend but you never say why? I see many recommending this Gigabyte over the MSI. So please tell me why as I am going to order stuff in about an hour.
Ahh, mainly because I think the MSI and Asus have a slightly better UEFI interface over the Gigabyte. IN addition, the UD5H was recently reviewed by HardOCP and showed that it was a bit unpolished. Compare that to the MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING which got a solid gold rating from HardOCP. Even the mid-range Asus Z87-A had a gold rating.

Last edited:
EVGA Superclocked Titan,

4770k, 3930k, 3970x, 4930k

H110 or NZXT X60

Dominator 2400/3000

Seasonic/corsair/Silverstone 1000w+

Intel or Samsung SSD top end

High end motherboard & case of choice, 2 or 3TB HDD for files

I'd go with the 3970X or 3960X and a high end ASUS or Gigabyte mobo

Dont let your money go on multi GPU or low end to midrange components

1000w+ is good, I have a 1000w silverstone that does 1100 peak and 85 amps, and I can still get it to shut down if I push 1.5v vcore & 1.3v/1.7v to my 3x 7950's. If I need to bench, I'd wish i had 1250-1500watts.

Thanks for that review. A bit scary on the UEFI issues. Ugh...I only worry about MSI issues as they haven't been making boards like this for a while like Asus. It is a damn nice board. But what about people having issues with the Killer NICs?

And this is why I don't trust Tom's: Check it: A heavily OC'd Core i7 3770K with GTX 680 Tri-SLI used around ~738W of power. Yes the GTX 780 does use more power than the GTX 680 but not enough to account for an extra GTX 680's worth of power. This is further backed up by XbitLab's own testing where a heavily OC'd Core i7 3970X with GTX Titan SLI used up to 773W of power.. Remember that their choice of CPU and the GTX Titan uses more power than your choice of CPU and GTX 780 respectively. Again, a GTX 680 TRI-SLI would be fine with a 850W PSU. So a GTX 780 SLI setup will be fine with a 750W PSU.

Ahh, mainly because I think the MSI and Asus have a slightly better UEFI interface over the Gigabyte. IN addition, the UD5H was recently reviewed by HardOCP and showed that it was a bit unpolished. Compare that to the MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING which got a solid gold rating from HardOCP. Even the mid-range Asus Z87-A had a gold rating.

Thanks for that review. A bit scary on the UEFI issues. Ugh...I only worry about MSI issues as they haven't been making boards like this for a while like Asus. It is a damn nice board. But what about people having issues with the Killer NICs?

I'll be honest: Not a fan of Killer NICs myself. But I think the issues are a tad exaggerated. With that said, if the NIC issues bother you that much, there's always the Asus Z87-Pro I recommended earlier which has a rock solid Intel NIC

Latest build...I think my mind is made up on the MSI...I just hope it's as good as they say.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gFNG
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gFNG/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gFNG/benchmarks/

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($187.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 Hz Sound Card ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Titanium Grey) ATX Full Tower Case ($124.76 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14 FLX 65.0 CFM 140mm Fan ($17.40 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($225.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $2381.85
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-14 18:50 EDT-0400)

I bought the evga 1000 g2 power supply.189 after 10 rebate. 10 year warranty. Excellent review on Johnny guru. Just something to think about

If you fear the killer network lan on the MSI, then go with Asus Z87-A, that comes with a realkek lan, or if you can spend a little more ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO, that the onboard lan is intel.

Let us know how everything works out. I'd like to know your thoughts on that case, I might order it this week if my Corsair air 540 doesn't ship out.

Back