Gaming Laptop

AndonSage

Gawd
I'm looking to get a laptop for gaming, but don't need one that will play Crysis. This laptop will be for Lord of the Rings Online, and strategy games like Civilization IV, Europa Universalis III, Hearts of Iron II and Dominions 3. The highest requirements among these games are a Pentium 4 2.8GHz processor and a 128MB nVidia GeForce 6800 or ATI Radeon X850 (must be DirectX 9.0c and pixelshader 2.0 compliant). What does a P4 2.8GHz CPU translate into for a Core 2 Duo in a laptop, and what comparable video card for the ones listed?

Doing a search in this forum for gaming laptops, it seems the general consensus is to get a Dell laptop. Looking at the current Dell specials, they have an instant savings of $314 for an Inspiron 1720 with an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5250 (1.5GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache), but I don't know if that CPU is good enough. The best CPU option is an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7700 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache) for an additional $300, but an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache) is only an additional $175. The config begins at http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DNDWMA2&s=dhs.

The screen is anti-glare widescreen 17.0" (1440 x 900). Is it worth $150 for the High Resolution, glossy widescreen 17.0 inch display (1920 x 1200)? I guess the benefit of that is full 1080p support, if I decide to use the laptop for Blu-ray movies.

The standard config comes with only an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100. Options are a 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS for $100, or a 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT for $200. I figure the 8600M GT is probably the best deal? And that it's better than the required video cards mentioned above?

The memory is 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz. Is that going to be enough to run Windows Vista Ultimate well? The only other options are 3GB for $125 or 4GB for $375, both 667MHz. I guess their bios is set for 667MHz and they won't change it?

Also, the 250GB SATA Hard Drive is only 5400 RPM, and I'm thinking a 7200 RPM hard drive would be best. They have an option for a 160GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) Free Fall Sensor for no extra money, which I think would be better.

A CD / DVD+/-RW Drive is included with the standard config. One of the other options is a Blu-ray Disc Combo (DVD+/-RW + BD-ROM) for $160, which I guess would be nice for HD movies, but then I'd want to get the high res display option.

The wireless network adapter is an Intel® 3945 802.11a/g Mini-card, with an option for an Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card for $50. I thought the 'n' standard hadn't been set yet?

It has an option for Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR) with a Dell Bluetooth Keyboard and Optical Mouse, all for $80. I figure that's not too bad for a full-size keyboard and mouse.

It has an integrated 2.0 Megapixel Webcam, which I doubt I would ever use, but no option to remove it and save some money.

The included battery is a 56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell). Is the optional 85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell) worth the additional $50? I don't know how those numbers translate into how many hours of use I'll get on a full battery charge, since they didn't have any info on that.

The included sound is High Definition Audio 2.0, with options for Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition for $25, and ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi® Xtreme Audio Sound Card for $75. Unless I decide to use this as an HD-DVD player, I figure the High Def Audio is good enough.

So, starting from $1,099, with the following options I'm up to $1,704: T7500 (2.2GHz) CPU, Vista Ultimate, 256MB 8600M GT, Built-in Bluetooth with keyboard and mouse. The only other option I'm really considering is going with 3GB RAM for $125. I just can't see paying an extra $310 just to watch Blu-ray movies. I'm not even sure how well the 8600M GT would play them.

The system comes with a 1-year in-home service/parts/labor warranty. Is it worth $190 to bump that up to 3 years? Anyone have experience with these laptops and failure rates/times?

Any opinions, comments, suggestions? Is this system not enough, or overkill? Is there a better deal elsewhere? Does anyone have experience with a laptop from a boutique company, like AVA Direct, Velocity Micro, Maingear, or Puget? I know those companies put together good desktop systems, but I don't know how they rate for laptops.

One last question... does anyone think it would be good to hold off for a couple months, with all of the new CPU and GPU products coming out in January and February? I don't know if those products will affect laptops at all.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

A while ago i got a alienware laptop.
It has in it.
15.4 screen
core 2 duo 2.16
100gig 7200 rpms
7600 geforce go 256 ram nvidia
The only thing with it is that th ekeyboard is a little small on it. Another thing about it is the batterie has a short life span it get some were around a little around 2 hours to hour 45min. That is the only thing. I can play battelfield 2 and wow with full settings on it it also has low amount of heat with it to. With all the stuff i got with my the computer alone cost around 2500. but i got some speakers and back pack and mouse it came to 3000 i know that is a lot for it but if it had a better graphic card in it i know it would be able to handel crysis very well.:):):):)

A while ago i got a alienware laptop... With all the stuff i got with my the computer alone cost around 2500. but i got some speakers and back pack and mouse it came to 3000 i know that is a lot for it but if it had a better graphic card in it i know it would be able to handel crysis very well.:)
That's more than I want to spend. It is my view that Alienware is not worth the amount they charge. YMMV.

Hey, Gary...I noticed that you told us what the configuration came to on the site, but how much do you WANT to spend? That's pivotal if you're looking at any of the boutique sites--most of us can work out a configuration for you if you have a budget in mind.

Extend your support options--hard drives and power components are common failure points--and see if they have one for "accidental damage", too. Normal wear and tear should be covered, for things like hinge wear, but there's a few manufacturers that give you the option to cover the damage that occurs when your cat knocks your laptop onto the floor.

Crysis is a demanding game for even the best desktops so that 8600 might struggle at higher resoloutions. :(

Hey, Gary...I noticed that you told us what the configuration came to on the site, but how much do you WANT to spend? That's pivotal if you're looking at any of the boutique sites--most of us can work out a configuration for you if you have a budget in mind.
No more than $2000 total (including taxes & shipping). I just can't see spending more than that for a computer that won't be my main computer. I plan on getting a new desktop also, and that will be where I spend more money. I don't have a problem configuring my own desktop, but I've never owned a laptop, which is why I was asking for help (although once I determine my desktop config, I'll post it in the forum for comments). The desktop won't be purchased for a few months, though, what with all the new products coming out Q1 2008.

I've also considered just going with a high-end laptop, and along with a docking station, using it as a desktop. However, I don't think even a high-end laptop will let me get a 3GHz quad-core, 8GB RAM, and 8800GTX (or whatever is coming down the pike) in SLI, or let me run a 30" widescreen LCD monitor.

Gary

I have mixed feelings about gaming laptops. On one hand, they're great because they're portable--you can go frag-happy on the bus on the way to work--but on the other hand...well, you just don't get as much power out of them as you do a desktop. A little small form-factor is a nice compromise, but you still have to provide your own LCD.

I refrain from saying, "hey, call us for a quote", but in this case...it may give you another set of options to compare to all the others, even if you don't buy. While sales are lovely, I'd rather see that you're satisfied with whatever you end up with, whether it with us or anyone else. (And NO, that's not why I'm on medication...lol.) :rolleyes:

Heather,

Can you tell me how the Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz compares to a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz? And how the 8600M GT compares to an ATI X850? If I can at least play my strategy games, and perhaps LotRO, that will get me through the times when I'm not at home and don't have my desktop.

A Core 2 wipes the floor with the Pentium. Also, I believe the Core 2's are more power efficient than the Pentium and produce less heat. The 8600gt is the gpu you want to go for if you want to game decently.

the 8600Gt should play blu-ray movies fine. You'll want to get the best graphics card you can, because thats probably the best way to up your performance.

Another thing to consider is not actually getting the ram from dell themselves, but going to newegg or some equivalent, where you will be able to pick up the same thing pretty much for a much better price.

Processor wise, thats probably going to be the thing that holds you back the most. If you can afford it, get the strongest processor on the model of laptop you are looking at.

As for the blu-ray player itself, I really have no idea whether its worth it or not. Personally, I would just skip it because of price and the fact that I don't know whether blu-ray or hd is going to come out on top.

The 150$ might be worth it for the much better screen. You'll find that most things will have better support for 1920x1200 resolution than 1440x900, but at the same time, it will be harder to get the best out of the screen when gaming.

Good luck man! I hope this helps a little.

Heather,

Can you tell me how the Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz compares to a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz? And how the 8600M GT compares to an ATI X850? If I can at least play my strategy games, and perhaps LotRO, that will get me through the times when I'm not at home and don't have my desktop.

The T7500 runs at 2.2ghz, but has an 800 Mhz FSB with a 4MB L2 cache. The P4 is a 2.8ghz processor, but only has a 533 FSB with a 512MB L2 cache. What this means to you basically is what someone else just said--the T7500 runs circles around the P4 because it has a lot more "oomph" to work with, despite actual processor speed. If you put a lamborghini engine on a go-cart...well, you can figure out the rest of that analogy. The T7500 has a more modest engine, but also has the rest of the components in place for a smokin' ride. (Why is it that computers and car analogies intertwine so seamlessly?)

The 8600M GT is the DX10 mobile version of the 7600-7900 GS for desktops with 512MB of memory. You didn't say which version of the X850 you were getting, but I believe that the X850s are 256MB. I could interject that the Nvidia card also has twice the pixel pipelines, but truthfully, that was pretty much moot after DX9 came out. What is notable is that the 8600M is able to support the newer gen games...and that make it a winner in my book, even if you're not playing Crysis.

You'll be able to play LOTRO with either card and processor setup, but you'll be able to see it in DX 10 only with the 8600 (and Vista, naturally).

Drop the Blu-Ray for now...because you want to game, invest the money in your video and CPU. Prices will continue to drop on the technology.

--the T7500 runs circles around the P4 because it has a lot more "oomph" to work with, despite actual processor speed.
Got it, thanks :)

The 8600M GT is the DX10 mobile version of the 7600-7900 GS for desktops with 512MB of memory. You didn't say which version of the X850 you were getting, but I believe that the X850s are 256MB.
I'm not getting the X850, that was just for comparison purposes based on the system requirements for the games. Thanks for the info regarding comparison to desktop cards. I thought the 8600M would be the mobile version of the 8600 for the desktop.

Drop the Blu-Ray for now...because you want to game, invest the money in your video and CPU. Prices will continue to drop on the technology.
Alrighty :)

I think I have the info I need to make a decision. Thanks to everyone who responded :)

Gary

I just wanted to update this for those folks who had responded...

I didn't get a laptop at this time. I got a Home Theater system... Sony 52" Bravia XBR4 1080p LCD HDTV, Yamaha 585BL HTiB and a PS3 for playing Blu-ray discs. No money left for a computer at this time.

However, I won't forget the information in this thread :) The computer purchase has just been pushed back to Q4 this year, hehe. And of course, as we all know, computers just get better down the road...

NICE tv, dude. I would have bought that before buying a laptop, too...lol. :D

NICE tv, dude. I would have bought that before buying a laptop, too...lol. :D

I got a good package deal on everything at Best Buy, and couldn't pass it up. The TV is amazing, and the Yamaha system sounds great :)

And things got even better... AT&T U-verse just arrived in my town. My install is Thursday... :)

No more Time Warner Cable, woot!

Back