Gaming LCD

manny_17

Limp Gawd
what sort of specs in an LCD monitor am I looking for if I want to play games? and what brand do you all recommend?

James

You want the lowest possible response time first and foremost. Note that some are measured gray-to-gray, and some are measured black-white-black. Black-white-black takes longer, and so a low measurement on that means more than a low measurement on gray-to-gray. You also want a high contrast ratio, and pay attention to native resolution too (don't buy one with a native res so high you wont be able to run games well at it). Widescreen is generally better for gaming if you're willing to do a little tweaking with those that dont support it out of the box. . The Dell 2005fpw is very popular, and the new Gateway one is getting lots of attention too. I personally prefer CRTs however, due to the fact that you don't have to worry about refresh rate, or res, or blacks being black enough etc. I was unhappy with my switch to LCD, so I switched back to CRT. Try one out before you buy one.

IMO the higher the contrast ratio the better (obviously taking into account response time).

I bought the viewsonic vp930b for $449.00 with free 2 day shipping from zipzoomfly. I'll try see if I like it. If not I can always return it. I just hope it looks as good as my dads new l90d+...

AlmostEvil said:
look at the samsung 940b, im getting it and ive heard really good reviews on it. no ghosting whatsoever.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001066

its under 300 w/ mail in rebate :D
If you haven't used an LCD much before, you should still try it first, despite what the reviews say. I noticed blurring on the 940b. Some people are just more sensitive to it than others, so try it first.

falcon26 said:
I bought the viewsonic vp930b for $449.00 with free 2 day shipping from zipzoomfly. I'll try see if I like it. If not I can always return it. I just hope it looks as good as my dads new l90d+...

Hey can you write a short write up about the vp930b when you get it?

Sure no problem :) I should get it on monday. Zipzoomfly is about 1 mile from me :) Yet they wouldn't let me pick it up :-(

Indolentron said:
If you haven't used an LCD much before, you should still try it first, despite what the reviews say. I noticed blurring on the 940b. Some people are just more sensitive to it than others, so try it first.

come sunday i wil be able to try it :cool:

I would say the new VX922 or the VP930. Both are excellent, but you have to remember that with extreme gaming panels (such as the VX922), you are sacrificing picture quality for that speed. The VP930 is slightly slower at 8ms, but it has a much higher contrast ratio and much better image quality.

Fionavar said:
IMO the higher the contrast ratio the better (obviously taking into account response time).

Yep...the Gateway 21" widescreen with 1000:1 contrast does indeed provide better blacks than the Dell models with only 700:1.....plus better features like HD ready, and HDCP compliance...

Back