gaming mouse surface...worth it?

Is it really worth the money to invest in a "gaming" mouse surface? Does it make any notable difference? Would I be better off just buying an oversized standard pad?

I think all of these gaming peripherals are more about vanity and personal preference than real measurable performance gains. It's a very subjective question, but I think yes it is worth having a nice mousepad if only for the comfort and extra smoothness v. a cheap mat or plain desk surface. The lower and mid price mousepads are more than good enough, some of the new ones like the $50 Megasoma are just absurdly priced!

Try Mionix if you're on a budget. Good range of reviews here: http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/mouse-mats

I just bought a ginormous cloth mouse pad from Fry's. Works fine with my deathadder and its comfortable. I haven't felt the need to buy anything crazy.

I have a Ratpadz XT right now, actually...and I find the thing to be too small. Also my mouse seems to wobble on it silghtly, either because of the textured surface or a slight bend in it...not sure.

I had a cloth mousepad before I got the RatPadz XT and the difference is pretty obvious. I got a cheap cloth mousepad from Fry's for like 5 bucks or something and it worked great. I got a Logitech G9 laser mouse and was noticing tracking issues with the cloth mousepad so I decided to invest in the Ratpad XT. The thing slides with the slightest touch and works 100% of the time. I am not saying cloth mousepads suck but if you like moving your mouse with as little effort as possible, the ratpadz XT is an excellent choice. Not to mention, I don't think i will ever need to replace the thing. For 20 bucks it will save you in the long run.

I agree the ratpadz is great I just wish it was bigger. And I have a razer imperator corrently. It seems like the feet on it are raised slightly which may explain the wobbling

I'd just get a standard mouse pad. You could save the money and put it towards an aftermarket cooler or something.

I've been using my desk for several months. The tracking is fine, but my mouse picks up a lot of gunk, even after I clean the desk. I'm going back to a mouse pad, but won't spend a lot on one. I found a nice SteelSeries S&S for $25 on eBay that looks good. I'll probably grab it tonight.

EDIT: Bought!

Last edited:
Yes I think it's absolutely worth it to get a good mousepad.

The ratpadz are nice for sure, but the only thing that has stopped me from getting one is that they don't offer a square/rectangular design. I use an older style Func1030 which is rectangular and the ability to rotate the pad (not to mention that it is double sided) helps tremendously in evening out wear and making the pad last considerably longer.

For your mouse -- duh! Keep that sucker cool so your hands don't get moist and sweaty in the heat of battle. :D

woah, this actually seems like a pretty cool idea. Is there a such product? I know some company was making air-cooled gamepads for a while, but they were noisy and didn't work too well.

Many years ago I spent an absurd amount on a mat, an icemat to be precise and after using it all this time I have come to the realization that I would do it again in a heartbeat.

1) It's glass! That means it is cool (to the touch), slick, and barring something stupid will never wear out, EVER!
2) It is extremely accurate since there is like no resistance at all.

Once I figured out how much I would have spent on cloth mousepads over the years this thing is actually cheaper since I will never have to replace it. It has already had two different mice on it, and I am preparing to replace the mouse I have with a new one. Although I have to admit, the mouse still glides awesomely.

Allan

Many years ago I spent an absurd amount on a mat, an icemat to be precise and after using it all this time I have come to the realization that I would do it again in a heartbeat.

1) It's glass! That means it is cool (to the touch), slick, and barring something stupid will never wear out, EVER!
2) It is extremely accurate since there is like no resistance at all.

Once I figured out how much I would have spent on cloth mousepads over the years this thing is actually cheaper since I will never have to replace it. It has already had two different mice on it, and I am preparing to replace the mouse I have with a new one. Although I have to admit, the mouse still glides awesomely.

Allan
DAMN!! I completely forgot about the Icemat I have stored in a closet. Wish I read your post before buying a different pad.

Cloth pad here for years now. Ive tried other types but always went back to cloth. Also cloth doesnt wear out your mouse feet :eek:

A cheap, quality mouse pad will do. There is a difference between that and the better ones, but it is not as large as not having a pad. I'm using an everglide oval pad that was on clearance: it was about $5.

As for the mouse feet issue, keeping the feet and pad clean by washing them regularly prevents excessive wear, particularly for these in more humid climates. I use this as well:

nitoflon.jpg

I'm using a Steelpad 4d. I don't think it performs any better than a cloth pad, but I prefer the feel of how the mouse moves on this surface. For me, it was worth the $20.

Back