Gaming Mouse Wars: First Reviews

Bop

2[H]4U
Gamespot did a review of the G5 and Copperhead which you can check out here .

Now I regret buying that DB Plasma 2 months ago : / Oh well gotta burn a bigger hole in my pocked now :)

Well sounds like both of them aren't that great IMO...

gamespot said:
The Logitech has several features including a tilt-wheel and application-specific button profiles that the Razer doesn't have, but the G5 also has a couple major flaws like the lack of a second thumb button and an extremely stiff scroll wheel that is difficult to click without accidentally scrolling up. The Logitech G5 would have had the edge if it didn't have such an annoying wheel.

No second button = no buy
Tilt wheel = no buy
Price of copperhead, which is a normal mouse = no buy

Of course I haven't seen the reason for the purchase of these mice in a long time anyways, MSIE 3.0 is still king

No second button on the left!?!?!? WTF is logitech thinking!? Well looks like razer is gonna be providing me with a new mouse in a month or so.

long as the g5 feels good in my hand ill take it, i'm still using a bd58. :p

WTF? Why no 2nd thumb button Logitech? Shame on you stupid bastards!

Looks like my MX510 will have to last me longer.

I use 'back' on my browser a lot more often than I use forward. In the event that you do want to page forward, why not just learn the mouse gesture? Firefox or Opera will do.

What concerns me is those giant mouse feet. I want to use teflon tape to keep the feet from wearing down, but i'm sure as hell not taping up those giant bastards. Anyone think they'll sell replacement feet? My intellimouse 3 feet were almost worn down all the way before I started taping them.

Another concern is the new logitech software. Looks a little bloated, but even if it isn't I generally don't need the extra features of mouse software and don't install it. Will the 2000dpi and 500mhz poll rate(?) work by default without the software installed?

Overall a very promising mouse with a design I find more ergonomic and full featured than the latest from Razer.

Yeah, I'm contemplating from the DB plasma to the copperhead as well...

ogewo said:
I use 'back' on my browser a lot more often than I use forward. In the event that you do want to page forward, why not just learn the mouse gesture? Firefox or Opera will do.

What concerns me is those giant mouse feet. I want to use teflon tape to keep the feet from wearing down, but i'm sure as hell not taping up those giant bastards. Anyone think they'll sell replacement feet? My intellimouse 3 feet were almost worn down all the way before I started taping them.

Another concern is the new logitech software. Looks a little boated, but even if it isn't I generally don't need the extra features of mouse software and don't install it. Will the 2000dpi and 500mhz poll rate(?) work by default without the software installed?

Overall a very promising mouse with a design I find more ergonomic and full featured than the latest from Razer.
It's not the forward button I'm wanting. I use that second thumb button for Voice comm in Source games and BF2. The first thumb button is reload.

Copperheads are going to retail for like 80$ right? I just bought a db so hopefully that wasn't a horrible choice.

Mr_Evil said:
It's not the forward button I'm wanting. I use that second thumb button for Voice comm in Source games and BF2. The first thumb button is reload.

Gotcha. Yeah for in-game functions some peoples prefered configurations might suffer. I have two side buttons now but all I use is one for fast weapon switch.

Just placed my preorder for the Copperhead

Im pretty sure this mouse will be killer, indeed better than logitech's for gaming. Reason why being the way razor designs their mice, small and lightweight, the "lowrider" design as they describe it in the review. The way the palm of your hand rests on the pad and your fingers controls mouse movement is just awsome! you feel much more secure in your aiming, your aiming is more accurate, and you operate quicker than with the hand-ontop "heavy weight" design that logitech uses.

Andrew_Carr said:
Copperheads are going to retail for like 80$ right? I just bought a db so hopefully that wasn't a horrible choice.
$70 for the base model.

$80 for the model with the customizable side buttons and customizable weights.

For me, given that I like the DB just the way it is, I think the $70 model will be perfectly fine.

dderidex said:
$70 for the base model.

$80 for the model with the customizable side buttons and customizable weights.

For me, given that I like the DB just the way it is, I think the $70 model will be perfectly fine.
Wait, the Razer has customizable weight too?

When it comes down to it:

Logitech mice = really comfortable, but they're heavy, drivers suck(thats why you dont use em) and they arent uniformaly accurate (easy to move the mouse one way than the other cause of the weighting created by the shape). That said the MX518 is probably equal best mouse there is.

Razer = way lighter, but way more uncomfortable. Buttons are different, but no better or worse. The advantages off the DB are its equal left and right shape, which means its equal to move it left and right in terms of weighting.

Both mice are just as accurate as each other, my old ms3.0a is just as accurate as my diamondback or my friends mx518. Buy whatever you want featuer + comfort wise :)

If you didn't find that the Diamondback purely blew away and previous mouse you'd even used, you CLEARLY set it up wrong.

That's like someone upgrading from a GeForce 4 to a GeForce 7800GTX and claiming they don't see any performance difference!

I mean, the DB has FOUR TIMES the precision of your Intellimouse 3.0, and almost TEN TIMES the responsiveness!

dderidex said:
If you didn't find that the Diamondback purely blew away and previous mouse you'd even used, you CLEARLY set it up wrong.

That's like someone upgrading from a GeForce 4 to a GeForce 7800GTX and claiming they don't see any performance difference!

I mean, the DB has FOUR TIMES the precision of your Intellimouse 3.0, and almost TEN TIMES the responsiveness!

Well...your just rattling off specs, im actually using the mice. I use very high and very low sensitivities in multiple games and theres no dif, just shape and weight. The resolution of a mouse doesnt matter, its the refresh rate. The ms3.0a refreshes over 3000 times a second at 400 dots per inch. This means that youd have to move the mouse over an inch with a sensitivity of 400dpi in like 1ms(cause of usb polling time) to notice a skip, which is physically impossible. Therefore...theres no dif, so get over it.

To tell you the truth, the diamondback actually skips more than my MS3.0a cause the camera is more focused that small hairs or large bits of dust actually effect it more than the ol ms.

Basically, if you own both the mice, and you notice a dif in accuracy, your lying cause you want to justify your purchase to yourself. I know what im doing, and i know how to set up a mouse. Stop reading specs and start learning things for yourself.

ZOMGWTFBBQ said:
Well...your just rattling off specs, im actually using the mice. I use very high and very low sensitivities in multiple games and theres no dif, just shape and weight. The resolution of a mouse doesnt matter, its the refresh rate. The ms3.0a refreshes 100times a second at 400 dots per inch. This means that youd have to move the mouse over an inch with a sensitivity of 400dpi in 1ms to notice a skip, which is physically impossible. Therefore...theres no dif, so get over it.

To tell you the truth, the diamondback actually skips more than my MS3.0a cause the camera is more focused that small hairs or large bits of dust actually effect it more than the ol ms.

Basically, if you own both the mice, and you notice a dif in accuracy, your lying cause you want to justify your purchase to yourself. I know what im doing, and i know how to set up a mouse ffs. Stop reading specs and start learning things for yourself.

I both agree and disagree here. I went to a MX510 from the now discontinued logitech mouse man dual, the one with 2 optical sensors. Now I noticed a big difference off the bat but it was not accuracy, it was quality of signal, with the dual if I moved it to fast it would default to some crazy point, while playing americas army at the time this was my main cause of death. Now that is what I liked, the buttons I loved for UT2k4 and it does seem more responsive. I believe there is a difference but it is features (and a good signal) that win it over for me. The onboard memory of the copperhead is what gets me since I play games on other computers every now and then.

Biggest thing I agree with is
Personal experiance > all ;)

ZOMGWTFBBQ said:
Well...your just rattling off specs, im actually using the mice. I use very high and very low sensitivities in multiple games and theres no dif, just shape and weight. The resolution of a mouse doesnt matter, its the refresh rate. The ms3.0a refreshes over 3000 times a second at 400 dots per inch. This means that youd have to move the mouse over an inch with a sensitivity of 400dpi in like 1ms(cause of usb polling time) to notice a skip, which is physically impossible. Therefore...theres no dif, so get over it.

Basically, if you own both the mice, and you notice a dif in accuracy, your lying cause you want to justify your purchase to yourself. I know what im doing, and i know how to set up a mouse. Stop reading specs and start learning things for yourself.

Haha another of the MSIE 3.0a followers, they just don't build another mouse like that one anymore. As for differences in DPI, to me its all placebo effect, but hey maybe thats just me. I actually prefer my 4 year old 3.0a over my MX510, but unfortunately due to excessive use, the 3.0a finally bit the dust.

UltimaParadox said:
Haha another of the MSIE 3.0a followers, they just don't build another mouse like that one anymore. As for differences in DPI, to me its all placebo effect, but hey maybe thats just me. I actually prefer my 4 year old 3.0a over my MX510, but unfortunately due to excessive use, the 3.0a finally bit the dust.

MS3.0a is just so damn awesome, i prefer it over my Diamondback by a long shot. If microsoft re-released it, they'd sell so many and pretty much take over the 'gaming mice' industry without having to do a thing to the old design. I agree with you thats its all placebo with the new mice, the MS3.0a hit the roof. Its not that theres nothing more accurate, its just that you cant actually _use_ the new accuracy :p

not much to change to the MX510, really its a mouse, how good can it get?

it looks like the g5 is a super mx510, then they took out the front button, why give us something knowing we will love it then take it away is this some kind of sick game?

microsoft mouses = no good, no clicky wheel

Back