Gaming Rig Using SG03

MadBadger

n00b
I'm interested in a portable gaming rig (it'll also be used for light photo/video editing) and given the choice between a gaming laptop or an SFF build, I prefer the latter (cheaper, more bang for the buck, I like building things). The plan right now is to build an SFF rig using the Silverstone SG03 and to transport it with the sugo pack. Not sure how relevant this is, but I'll be transporting the system from the US to Argentina as carry-on (assuming that's possible, I haven't asked yet - hopefully it is).

Anyhow, I've been kicking around ideas, and I'm looking for some advice. Since I'll be in Argentina for the foreseeable future, my primary concern is component reliability (looking for quality, no over-clocking, needs to run cool) and warranty/customer service. Quite frankly a C2D system with an upper-mid range graphics card should fit my needs just fine. That being said, if it's possible, I wouldn't mind putting in the latest and greatest, as long as it meets the above requirements for reliability.

I just started (literally a few hours ago), but here's a rough idea of what I'm considering:

Latest-Greatest Build

Mobo MSI P55M-GD45 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard or
EVGA 121-LF-E652-KR Intel P55 Core i5/i7 Socket 1156 PC3-16000 (DDR3-
2000) mATX Motherboard Retail

(going to wait for reviews)

Processor i7 860

Graphics Card Nvidia GTX 260

Before I even look into anything else, is this feasible? For cooling, the plan is to use a Corsair H50 and either modding a blow-hole in the top myself or buying from performance-pc and having them do it for me. Do you think this would run hot or do you think it would work? If that won't be enough cooling, any other suggestions for either more cooling or swapping components to make it work?

C2D Build

Mobo Unsure - any suggestions (emphasis on no over-clocking and reliability + upper
mid level graphics card capable)?

Processor Intel E8500 Wolfdale 3.16 ghz 6 mb

Graphics Card Unsure - I prefer Nvidia (upper mid level graphics, best one that the mobo can
run, less than $200)

Would the stock cooling be enough or should I still plan on using an H50 or some other cooling solution? Could I get by without the blow-hole or with a pci slot fan?

If the first build is feasible, I'd like to give it a shot, but otherwise a C2D build should meet might needs just fine. Anyhow, open to any and all suggestions and/or pointers to things I may be overlooking. Hope you can help!

Cheers,
MB

Last edited:
First off, a brand new Socket 775 C2D based setup is not a good choice for the money considering that many of AMD's Phenom II CPUs perform just as well as most C2D/C2Q setups yet are considerably cheaper and do have a slightly better CPU upgrade path not that socket 775 is pretty much EOL.

If you want Intel, Intel's Core i5 and i7 CPUs are more cost-effective purchases.

Video card wise, the GTX 260 isn't that good of a choice for the money since the cheapest GTX 260 is $165 whereas the slightly faster XFX HD 4870 1GB is $20 cheaper at $145. In addition, the faster HD4890 is only $15 more at $190. So Nvidia would not be a good choice from a price to performance perspective in the $100+ range.

The H50 should work just fine for cooling.

Thanks for the pointers Danny. Just to clarify, if I went with the first build, heat in the system won't be a problem (given the small form factor case)?

About the graphics card, I've had some crappy experiences with ATI in the past, which makes me wary. How does the HD 4870 compare heat-wise to the GTX 260? Does it run cooler?

Thanks for the pointers Danny. Just to clarify, if I went with the first build, heat in the system won't be a problem (given the small form factor case)?

About the graphics card, I've had some crappy experiences with ATI in the past, which makes me wary. How does the HD 4870 compare heat-wise to the GTX 260? Does it run cooler?

The heat in the system for the first build shouldn't be a major issue with the Corsair H50.

Heat wise, IIRC, they're about the same.

Great. Do you happen to know of any promising mATX motherboards which are i7 compatible? It's been a while since I've built a system and I'm not up to date with things. Generally speaking, which manufacturers do you consider to be the most reliable with the best customer service?

Great. Do you happen to know of any promising mATX motherboards which are i7 compatible? It's been a while since I've built a system and I'm not up to date with things. Generally speaking, which manufacturers do you consider to be the most reliable with the best customer service?

I'm assuming that you mean the socket LGA 1156 Core i7 CPUs correct? If so, this Gigabyte mobo has been doing pretty well among reviewers:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128405

In terms of good customer support, eVGA takes the cake. In terms of reliability, Asus and Gigabyte motherboards are the best IMO.

Yep, I meant 1156 boards. Thanks for the input, I think I'll wait for more reviews to come out before making a final decision. By the way, what's your opinion of MSI?

Yep, I meant 1156 boards. Thanks for the input, I think I'll wait for more reviews to come out before making a final decision. By the way, what's your opinion of MSI?

They're all right. However, I'd go with a Gigabyte or Asus mobo over any MSI motherboard any day

I would be wary of water cooling anything you plan on taking on a plane. My Q-pack gets checked EVERYTIME I travel and it would really suck to be denied or be forced to empty your loop.

I replied to your post over at AT. I didnt realize you posted here too. You'll get more SFF info here than at AT I'm thinking. :)

Skott, thanks for the reply, lots of good info in it, I'll repost what you wrote here for reference:

Hey, MB. I have a SG03 and I'll try and give you some info you can use. If you plan to go quad I would highly suggest using the H50. Someone over at the HF website installed it and it works fine in a SG03. They used a i7 920 though I think but any quad should be cooled well by the H50. The SG03 has room for two front 120mm fans. Put the H50 on the top and put a 120mm fan on the bottom. I'd suggest using something better than the stock 120mm fan though. I myself use the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fans. The F model moves more air and its very quiet. Most people use the E models but I wanted more airflow so opted for the F model. I don't regret it. Also if you really are considering modding a 120mm blow hole and fan on top then I say do it. If I were to buy another SG03 I certainly would especially if you want to go quad or do any kind of overclocking.

As far as video card choice goes I'll leave that up to you. The SG03 will fit any size card so get one as short or as long as you want. You won't have any worries about what will or won't fit in a SG03 as far as video cards go. It fits all cards.

Concerning cpu choice. I already said what would be ideal for a quad and by that I mean any quad you choose. As for a dual core cpu if you get one that has at least 3GHz clock on it you should be alright as far as gaming goes. Dual cores still rule for gaming but that rule is becoming shorter as more game developers make games to take advantage of quad technology. If you are running stock you probably would be okay without the H50 but I'd still suggest a blowhole and fan on top. The SG03 is lacking when it comes to exhausting air. Although a combo blowhole and H50 is still ideal for any setup you choose. If I had to choose between the two due to money or time constraints I'd say at least get the H50 and forgo the top blowhole.

For travel I use a GearGrip harness. I like them better than a bag but that's a personal choice. I only transport mine via automobile. I cant rightly say how easy it would be to transport one by airplane but I'm guessing it wouldn't be easy. Airlines only allow so big of a carry on item. The SG03 is not a cube SFF case but a tower SFF case so putting one into a overhead bin without lying it down (which would worry me to do that) probably isnt going to work so well. If you can keep it upright between your feet then that would be better I'm thinking. I'd hate to put any pc into the baggage hold (belly) of a plane. Handlers are not the most gentle of people and I'd worry about theft. I'll have to suggest for you to look into that closer as I simply have no experience of transporting a SFF case on a airplane. A possibly better option might be to just ship it to your destination once you have had it packaged properly to safeguard such handling.

My current SG03 SFF rig:
SG03 Case 2 - 120mm Scythe S-Flex SFF21F Case Fans, Corsair HX520w PSU, Intel E6750 CPU, ASUS P5K-VM, 2GB Crucial Ballistix RAM BL2KIT12864AA604, NT06-Lite, eVGA 8800GT KO, Lite-On LH20A1H, Seagate 7200.11 500Gb, X-Fi XtremeGamer, XP Pro SP2, Logitech G5,Saitek Eclipse II

End of this year I hope to upgrade it to a i7 860 as well. Newer mobo and ram obviously and a H50 for cooling instead of the NT06-Lite. I plan to keep the remaining components but a new Windows 7 O/S.

About transport, I'll need to call the airline tomorrow and check what their policy is, but the sugo pack is 45 linear inches, which qualifies as the max carry on size. What I like about it is that it's supposed to be padded and with lots of pockets, seems like a nice solution - definitely better than checking it in. I guess if I had to check it in, I'd carry on all the components and just check the case+psu+optical drive and cables. Kind of a pain but hopefully it won't come to that.

About the watercooling (from another poster), good point, I'd probably have to check that in since getting it past security would no doubt be a nightmare.

I've done a little more research and I'm gonna go for the i7 build. I'll definitely mod the case (might have to pay performance pcs as I don't know if I'll have the time to do it myself). Biggest question mark is the motherboard and graphics card. Going to hope for more reviews on the p55 mATX boards. I did some reading on graphics cards and the GTX 260 is sufficient for me, but the HD 5850 looks awfully tempting. Bad experiences with ATI in the past is what's holding me back (they seem to have more driver issues than Nvidia as well). I just want something that works, and if the GTX 260 is good enough for what I'm going to use it for, justifying the extra cost/risk of hassle with the HD5850 is kind of tough. Still not sure though.

Anyhow, thanks for all the input. Kind of in waiting mode now as I try to finalize the mobo, but it's a good start and I have a much better idea of what to look out for. I'll update as the build progresses.

Cheers,
MB

About a year ago, Nov/Dec, I called PerformancePC and asked them what it would cost to have them mod a 120mm blowhole and fan and the guy (the owner in fact) told me about $20. I thought it a fair price so if they are still offering to do it for that price I would take them up on it because it would be money well spent. Of course a modder can tell you it can be done for much less but not everyone can or wants to do such work themselves. They also sell the SG03 so you can buy it from them, if you don't have it yet, and have it done and shipped to you completed. I havent bought a case from them but I have bought sleeved fans from them. They do good work. :)

Yes, I can recommend Performance-PCs as well. They'll sleeve all the case's internal cables for you and for that additional fee will cut a blowhole up top for a 120mm fan.

I just used this case for a build that I am very happy with (built it yesterday). Core i5 750, Asrock P55M, 4gb Corsair XMS3 1600, Corsair 650w PSU (room for the exta cables if u go non modular like me above the psu in the 5th expansion slot area), XFX 4850, 2 320gb seagates in RAID 0, LiteON Dvd Burner, dynex memory card reader, was about $700 total. I idel at 35C with stock intel cooler OC'd to 3.2ghz. I added an extra fan up front, and am thinking about a rear fan too. It gets heavy with all the componets, mine weighs in at 21 pounds. its a really nice looking case!

silverstone.jpg

Last edited:
I built a SG03 a couple of months back for my son if I was to do it again I would 1156 i7 860 and a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 board and use a Scythe Big Shuriken CPU Cooler and flip the psu so it sucks in air from the side of the case.

First off, a brand new Socket 775 C2D based setup is not a good choice for the money considering that many of AMD's Phenom II CPUs perform just as well as most C2D/C2Q setups yet are considerably cheaper and do have a slightly better CPU upgrade path not that socket 775 is pretty much EOL.

If you want Intel, Intel's Core i5 and i7 CPUs are more cost-effective purchases.

Video card wise, the GTX 260 isn't that good of a choice for the money since the cheapest GTX 260 is $165 whereas the slightly faster XFX HD 4870 1GB is $20 cheaper at $145. In addition, the faster HD4890 is only $15 more at $190. So Nvidia would not be a good choice from a price to performance perspective in the $100+ range.

The H50 should work just fine for cooling.
Agreed on all points.

For Intel, an i5 750 on an inexpensive P55 is a much better option.

Also, at the same price point as a 260, the 5770, while slightly less powerful (stupid 128-bit bus) runs cooler, uses much less power, and is DX11-capable.

Back