Gaming upgrade question

brentsg

[H]ard|Gawd
My aunt has asked for my help in upgrading my uncle's computer for gaming. All he really does is web surf and game.

Presently he has a Northwood P4 @ 3.25GHz with a 9800 Non-Pro and 512MB of PC4000 HyperX memory.

I believe that his best bang for the buck is to replace his video card with a 6800 GT for ~$350. He has asked his wife for 1GB RAM for Christmas to replace his 512MB (prob ~$265).

I was just asked to find the RAM since I built his PC. I figure that he will be disappointed with the RAM upgrade, though he is dead set on it. Maybe some games will get some benefit, maybe decreased loading times. The videocard I figure might approach a 50% performance improvement since his CPU is still solid.

Anyone have any suggestions? When I put in my 6800 Ultra, I added the RAM at the same time so I don't have a solid frame of reference.

Thanks

B

512Mb to 1Gb is a good upgrade that should benefit most modern games. On my PC:

- Enemy Territory peak use c600Mb
- Doom 3 1600x1200 - 850Mb High quality, 1.1Gb at Ultra quality
- Half Life 850Mb

Pretty much everything goes past 512Mb RAM use nowadays if you give it the extra headroom. Saying that, if I had a PC using a 9800/512Mb I'd take a 6800GT over an extra 512Mb any day of the week! Bit of a price difference though...

get a better video card and another 512 of the same ram type, no need to forkout for another 1gig when you already have 512 of good ram.

fazzman said:
get a better video card and another 512 of the same ram type, no need to forkout for another 1gig when you already have 512 of good ram.

Nah, there's a good chance he'd have to drop his FSB from 250 back to something way lower to run 4 sticks dual channel vs. 2. Either that or run his RAM on a divider to do it...

I don't have easy access to his PC to fiddle with an overclock so I have to do something that I'm really confident in. Running 4 RAM sticks in a heavily overclocked system isn't something I'd put much faith in.

He's on a 2.6c @ 3.25GHz completely Prime stable right now. I'd hate to compromise his current performance to grow RAM. I should have mentioned that in the first post.

B

Sell the old Ram and video card on Ebay to defray the costs. Get the 1gb and a newer video card, maybe not a 6800 Ultra though. Too pricey. Maybe a 6800 GT or X800 Pro though.

If I had to pick one I'd upgrade RAM. 1 gig is the new 512.

I want my adult relatives to be as cool as yours! Nobody in my family games at all. They all see gaming as a vice.

Damn them! Damn them all to hell!

rdytorave said:
If I had to pick one I'd upgrade RAM. 1 gig is the new 512.

yup.. that is certainly true. was like night + day when playing UT2k4.. upgrading was a smart idea back then. Now i wish I had MORE ram, since alt-tabbing with HL2 isn't really a fun thing atm.

on the thread:

do the ebay thing to offset the cost. Get a plain vanilla 6800 and try to unlock the pipes.

I had no problem unlocking the pipes on a BFG 6800nu and it's overclocked out of the box. It's a nice card, especially since it's easily softmodded. No idea what they are going for now, but I got mine for 299.00 at Best Buy about a month ago.

I would go with another stick of 512mb and a vid card such as the X800pro Vivo since he likes to overclock or the 6800GT.

Back